I really want to be Buddhist,but I can't let go of God.what are buddhist critiques of theism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Pondera

Re: I really want to be Buddhist,but I can't let go of God.what are buddhist critiques of theism?

Post by Pondera »

cappuccino wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:51 pm
Pondera wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:56 am I understand that I am not able to have a psychic conversation with Britney Spears.
you have a vivid imagination

perhaps stop indulging in imagination
A little too vivid for my liking. I would shut it off if I could. But it is not my self. I do not control it.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Coëmgenu

Re: I really want to be Buddhist,but I can't let go of God.what are buddhist critiques of theism?

Post by Coëmgenu »

As long as you've the wisdom to not listen to them when they say wicked things, it's all good. Not all good for you, whom I imagine would prefer silence, but all good in the sense of "the bigger picture."
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pondera wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:18 pm A little too vivid for my liking. I would shut it off if I could. But it is not my self. I do not control it.
you are somehow delighting in it

hence fueling it
Last edited by cappuccino on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:53 pm As long as you've the wisdom to not listen to them when they say wicked things, it's all good. Not all good for you, whom I imagine would prefer silence, but all good in the sense of "the bigger picture."
I do enjoy silence at times. And ignoring the “noise” has been a learning process which has involved a large number of factors. I do believe it is the human condition to a) hear discursive thought - and identify it as random or b) hear directed and evaluative thought - and believe it as one’s own.

Ultimately, we are wrong in both cases. There is an underlying external intelligence motivating our sapien minds to trend towards certain things through vocalizing.

But, the world would go mad if it knew how deeply ineffective we are at even producing the slightest, faintest “touch” of a thought without the help of the brahmas and maras of this world. We are still monkeys.

It is the human condition to be deceived by a higher power who wants the best for you, but will violently bring your life to an end (should he wish) if you don’t give your best to him/her.

:anjali:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

cappuccino wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:22 pm
Pondera wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:18 pm A little too vivid for my liking. I would shut it off if I could. But it is not my self. I do not control it.
you are somehow delighting in it

hence fueling it
Not the case. Him and I are inextricably linked. He motivates me. Sometimes through fear. Sometimes through encouragement. Sometimes he doesn’t give a horse’s donkey what becomes of me. He is altogether superior to me. How, therefore can I account for His ways. He does exactly as he pleases. The fact that He has not gone so far as to physically stop my heart from beating is not only a testimony to His infinite patience, but also a deep underlying insight into how detached and accomplished He is in this Universe. And I am speaking about the disciple of Mara who haunts my every waking hour.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pondera wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:21 am Not the case.
you just proved it is the case

:|
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:50 pm
Pondera wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:21 am Not the case.
you just proved it is the case

:|
Oh really? Where? When I said “I don’t control it”?

:roll:
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pondera wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:08 pm Oh really? Where? When I said “I don’t control it”?
the point of Buddhism is to cease delight

first in the unhealthy stuff

later in the healthy stuff
Last edited by cappuccino on Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:16 pm basically everything is about delight

:shrug:
“Life is suffering.”

Those who mistake Life as “delight” are called “masochists” or “sadists”.

I do not personally delight in being followed around by an apparition 24 hours a day :shrug:
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pondera wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:46 am I do not personally delight in being followed around by an apparition 24 hours a day :shrug:
well it is counter intuitive
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:22 am
Pondera wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:46 am I do not personally delight in being followed around by an apparition 24 hours a day :shrug:
well it is counter intuitive
Counter factual
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pondera wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:19 am Counter factual
:shrug: