Mixing traditions- No Theravada temple near

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
alan

Re: Mixing traditions- No Theravada temple near

Post by alan »

I suppose you could say there are different paths with the same destination. But the next obvious question is:
Which path is the direct path?
nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

alan wrote:I suppose you could say there are different paths with the same destination. But the next obvious question is:
Which path is the direct path?
Very good point.
Why wasting time when there's the direct path that has been proven time and time again by the countless dedicated practitioners?
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

T_Hill_616 wrote:Thank you everyone for your advice. I do realize that different traditions are really just different paths with the same destination. I'll check out te temple and see what I think. I do suppose I'm mainly looking for a nice place to go to keep me motivated and meet some similar minds.
I think different teachings can help or hinder depending on the context and ones understanding.

The trouble comes more from switching practices -"oh, maybe this one will agree with me more." Then after a month, "nah, I will try that other one." etc

Beware of the spiritual window-shopping or the endless "try before you buy" and never actually buying, or rather committing.
_/|\_
hanzze_

Post by hanzze_ »

:goodpost:
on thing in addition, take that what is given freely (without an intention of deal) and do not buy.
T_Hill_616

Post by T_Hill_616 »

Oh I by no means intend on abandoning my Theravada background. Like I said in my first post, I've implemented these teachings and meditation practices into my life and I havn't been the same since. Basically, I'm 28, I've worked in tattoo shops my whole life and we'll just say that most of my current peers have no interest in Buddhism, let alone trying to live the most wholesome life possible. Zen is just so popular in the West, so those are the places near me. The whole state of Michigan, from what I've found, has one Theravada Monastery. I believe there may be a Theravada based group or two but they are on the opposite side of the state.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

sometimes it is just about how you view the teachings, just because they do not necessarily come from the theravada tradition; pali canon, or early Buddhism doesn't mean they are not useful, or everything about them need to be adopted.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

If a mango has a worm in it you don't have to throw it away, just eat around the worm :)

That is, you can carefully take what is skillful from Zen and leave alone what is not skillful.

For example, the Zen practice is to meditate with your eyes open in order to stay alert and I have also found it helpful at times to keep my eyes open during meditation.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi
T_Hill_616

Post by T_Hill_616 »

Update- I visited the Korean Zen group last week and it was pretty interesting. The Sunim (monk) there was very nice and t seemed to be a pretty tight knit group. It was the center's one year anniversary so there was a very short meditation and a Dharma talk including a story from the Tipitika. From the Middle Length Discourses I believe but I have a terrible memory. Only thing I found odd was that there was a lot of chanting by the whole group and it was all in Korean with no English translation so I don't know if everyone realized exactly what they were saying. So I guess I found that kind of silly, but I can look past it. Everyone was very nice and I'll probably make it a habit to go every week.
Ruralist

Post by Ruralist »

i too have this problem.
Hartridge Monastery is 90mins + drive away so rarely get to go to the evening Puja :cry:
I have noticed a Zen group only 10 minutes away that meets once a week and also a Diamond Way (Vajriyana i believe) group in Exeter which is an hours drive. There is also a Pure Land NKT group in Exeter but I didnt enjoy their group meditations, too much emphasis on asking for money.
Thanks for the advice peeps, I shall seek out the Zen group i think just to try :smile:
"Let monkeys be monkeys without getting emotionally involved. Peace can be born within you because you know the way monkeys are. Knowing the manner of monkeys, you will let go and be at peace, not getting tied up in monkey business." Ven. Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi T_Hill_616,
T_Hill_616 wrote:Update- I visited the Korean Zen group last week and it was pretty interesting. The Sunim (monk) there was very nice and t seemed to be a pretty tight knit group. It was the center's one year anniversary so there was a very short meditation and a Dharma talk including a story from the Tipitika. From the Middle Length Discourses I believe but I have a terrible memory. Only thing I found odd was that there was a lot of chanting by the whole group and it was all in Korean with no English translation so I don't know if everyone realized exactly what they were saying. So I guess I found that kind of silly, but I can look past it. Everyone was very nice and I'll probably make it a habit to go every week.
Nice to hear you've found a nice group of practitioners. I guess the lack of translation is solvable in the long term...

:anjali:
Mike
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Ruralist wrote:i too have this problem.
Hartridge Monastery is 90mins + drive away so rarely get to go to the evening Puja :cry:
I have noticed a Zen group only 10 minutes away that meets once a week and also a Diamond Way (Vajriyana i believe) group in Exeter which is an hours drive. There is also a Pure Land NKT group in Exeter but I didnt enjoy their group meditations, too much emphasis on asking for money.
Thanks for the advice peeps, I shall seek out the Zen group i think just to try :smile:
It's good to look up the group and lineage beforehand, I suppose, though the info on the web is not always accurate of course.

For example, the Diamond Way group is not exactly uncontroversial and the teacher Lama Ole, is probably less in line with typical Theravada than just about any other Tibetan teacher, eg very lay and worldly. The NKT, if this is the New Kadampa Tradition is not Pure Land but another even more controversial Tibetan group. Zen is also very diverse. Some members here have found a second home in Zen Centres and others (like me) who are Zen practitioners, have found a second home here.

In any case, it is good to have your mind (but also also your eyes) open and judge for yourself.
_/|\_
Ruralist

Post by Ruralist »

Dan74 wrote:
Ruralist wrote:i too have this problem.
It's good to look up the group and lineage beforehand, I suppose, though the info on the web is not always accurate of course.

For example, the Diamond Way group is not exactly uncontroversial and the teacher Lama Ole, is probably less in line with typical Theravada than just about any other Tibetan teacher, eg very lay and worldly. The NKT, if this is the New Kadampa Tradition is not Pure Land but another even more controversial Tibetan group. Zen is also very diverse. Some members here have found a second home in Zen Centres and others (like me) who are Zen practitioners, have found a second home here.

In any case, it is good to have your mind (but also also your eyes) open and judge for yourself.
Exactly my problem! :shrug:
"Let monkeys be monkeys without getting emotionally involved. Peace can be born within you because you know the way monkeys are. Knowing the manner of monkeys, you will let go and be at peace, not getting tied up in monkey business." Ven. Ajahn Chah