Tulku system in Theravada buddhism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ceisiwr

Re: Tulku system in Theravada buddhism?

Post by Ceisiwr »

duffster1 wrote:Im just pondering if rebirth is true and its possible to recognize the continuum so to speak,surely there would be examples in other traditions,wouldn't there?if rebirth is happening why is it only one tradition claiming to be able to have insight into such matters of recognition?

Take a look at "the great rebirth debate" thread

Will find a wide range of views and interpretations there :reading:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
duffster1

Post by duffster1 »

clw_uk wrote:
duffster1 wrote:Im just pondering if rebirth is true and its possible to recognize the continuum so to speak,surely there would be examples in other traditions,wouldn't there?if rebirth is happening why is it only one tradition claiming to be able to have insight into such matters of recognition?

Take a look at "the great rebirth debate" thread

Will find a wide range of views and interpretations there :reading:

I'm reading through it at the minute ;)

i guess what i'm still wondering is if a child is able to be recognized and the location found by a Lama why does no Theravada master say they had visions of recognition of rebirths? or has it happened?
iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

Isn't it the case that the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions have an aim of ensuring the enlightenment of all living beings, therefore the need for a Dalai Lama and Bodhisatvas? I've been told something along these lines by a New Kadampa monk in the UK.
PadmaPhala

Post by PadmaPhala »

AFAIK, there are no tulkus on Theravada BuddhaDharma.
Zom

Post by Zom »

Plus there are problems with their system. Here's an example
More detailed story:

http://www.details.com/story/leaving-om ... -lifestyle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before they could even read, they were hailed as reincarnations of Tibetan Buddhist legends in the vein of the Dalai Lama. Now young adults, these reluctant would-be spiritual leaders are stepping out of their monk's robes, becoming rappers and moviemakers, and blowing the whistle on sexual abuse at Buddhist monasteries.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Zom wrote:
Plus there are problems with their system. Here's an example
More detailed story:

http://www.details.com/story/leaving-om ... -lifestyle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before they could even read, they were hailed as reincarnations of Tibetan Buddhist legends in the vein of the Dalai Lama. Now young adults, these reluctant would-be spiritual leaders are stepping out of their monk's robes, becoming rappers and moviemakers, and blowing the whistle on sexual abuse at Buddhist monasteries.
Actually,regarding the article, Kalu Rinpoche isn't a "Lost Lama", he's just no longer a celibate monk. As far as I know, he returned to the fold again after doing a 3 year retreat. He now teaches Tibetan Buddhism, is responsible for several monasteries and in 2013 he married a Tibetan girl who's the daughter of another well known tulku.

Zom

Post by Zom »

Doesn't really matter. Things, written there, well... are just terrible.
Btw, I heard same things happen in Theravada.