Torn between two worlds

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
whynotme

Re: Torn between two worlds

Post by whynotme »

culaavuso wrote:
whynotme wrote:As far as I know, the alcohol precept is not about drinking alcohol but not enjoy drinking alcohol, as the suttas often state. E.g if for some reasons, one drinks a little not because loving doing it, but for being polite, it is not violating the precept. Of course don't drink at all would be better.

I think the point of this precept is not actively seeking drink that poison your mind. The attitude of you is more important than drinking or not as most limit of Buddhism is about the mind. For example, if a monk/nun is raped, forced to intercourse, even the action happened, if he/she doesn't enjoy/agree with it, then he/she does not violate the precept, otherwise, if he/she enjoys/agrees with it, the he/she violates the precept
It might be helpful to consider that part of the wording of the fifth precept references serving as a basis for heedlessness (pamāda). The second chapter in the Dhammapada, the Appamāda Vagga, is about the opposite condition: heedfulness. The chapter begins with a mention of the importance of heedfulness in the practice of the path:
Dhp 2 (21) wrote: Heedfulness is the path to the Deathless. Heedlessness is the path to death. The heedful die not. The heedless are as if dead already.
The Buddha's final statement before death is described in DN 16 as including the phrase appamādena sampādetha which may be translated as Bring about completion by being heedful.
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/inaword.html]The Practice in a Word[/url] by Ven. Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu wrote: In this way, your sense of appamada helps to ensure that your path goes all the way to the Deathless. To borrow an old analogy: if the practice is like a building, then appamada is not only the foundation. It also acts as the walls and the roof as well.
Enjoyment does not seem to be mentioned in the wording of the precept.

It might also be worth recognizing that regarding the violation of the Pāṭimokkha rules, there is often a factor of intention required for the event to be considered a violation. There seems to be a significant difference between doing something unintentionally and doing something without enjoyment.
Enjoyment is my word, I can't find exactly English word to match my thought.

I read another translation, not in English, it seems a little different to English version. I believe my version is better than English version, but thing could be otherwise. So could you translate word by word for me the paragraph about the alcohol in the Abhisanda Sutta of the Anguttara Nikaya (AN VIII.39)
http://suttacentral.net/pi/an8.39
http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0404m1.mul3.xml

Thanks
Please stop following me
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

whynotme wrote: I read another translation, not in English, it seems a little different to English version. I believe my version is better than English version, but thing could be otherwise. So could you translate word by word for me the paragraph about the alcohol in the Abhisanda Sutta of the Anguttara Nikaya (AN VIII.39)
http://suttacentral.net/pi/an8.39
http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0404m1.mul3.xml
Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation is quite close to word for word:
AN 8.39: Puññābhisanda Sutta wrote: ariyasāvako surā­meraya­majja­pa­mā­daṭṭhā­naṃ pahāya surā­meraya­majja­pa­mā­daṭṭhānā paṭivirato hoti. Surā­meraya­majja­pa­mā­daṭṭhānā paṭivirato, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako aparimāṇānaṃ sattānaṃ abhayaṃ deti averaṃ deti abyābajjhaṃ deti. Aparimāṇānaṃ sattānaṃ abhayaṃ datvā averaṃ datvā abyābajjhaṃ datvā, aparimāṇassa abhayassa averassa abyābajjhassa bhāgī hoti.

a noble disciple, having abandoned liquor, wine, and intoxicants, the basis for heedlessness, abstains from liquor, wine, and intoxicants, the basis for heedlessness. By abstaining from liquor, wine, and intoxicants, the basis for heedlessness, the noble disciple gives to an immeasurable number of beings freedom from fear, enmity, and affliction. He himself in turn enjoys immeasurable freedom from fear, enmity, and affliction. (Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
The key compound surā­meraya­majja­pa­mā­daṭṭhā­naṃ appears to be comprised of surā (liquor) + meraya (wine) + majja (intoxicants) + pamāda (heedlessness) + ṭhāna (basis). The verb for 'to abandon' here appears to be pajahati and the verb for 'to abstain' appears to be paṭiviramati.
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

So there is no word like 'passionate' about liquor,.. etc in that sentence?
Many thanks
Please stop following me
Digity

Post by Digity »

I know what you're going through. I decided to not get married, having kids, etc. because I wanted to be able to focus more on the practice. This does not go over well with people who think I should be married, should having kids, should do this and that. When people tell me I should do something my immediate reaction is to rebel and that's what I did. Those who tried to push me in that direction were met with rebellion.

My mind is bent on seeking truth. Whenever I deepen my understanding of the Dhamma or improve my awareness I experience joy. These are the things I rely on to bring me happiness. Others seek it in their partners, family, kids, etc. Ultimately, I think the Dhamma is the superior choice, but it's not easy to pick the latter over the former. You need to have a strong conviction in the practice to overcome the current of the wordly way and be steadfast in your dedication to the Dhamma. If anything, it's a test....a test in your conviction and desire for awakening. Anything worth achieving isn't easy...and awakening is the most worthy of things.