Hsuan Hua - opinions

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ceisiwr

Re: Hsuan Hua - opinions

Post by Ceisiwr »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:19 pm
Christopherxx wrote: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:37 am Hi guys

We have a Hsuan Hua associated monastery in the area and I have been curious about it. I have heard that this teacher was very influential in trying to help reconcile Theravada and Mahayana. That he donated the land that became the Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery.

I was just wondering if anyone knew more about him then is listed in Wikipedia. It's very scarce. Doesn't really tell much about his teachings or the doctrines and such around the association.

Thanks everyone!
Since I took refuge under Master Hua over 40 years ago, I knew him slightly. "Slightly" because his wisdom, compassion and virtue are deeper than deep. He is a blessing to all whose minds & hearts are open.

Here is recent little sample of his teachings. It is a very cheap booklet too.

http://www.buddhisttexts.org/one-thought.html
What do you think about his gay mafia cult claims?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

People are mixed bags, even great dhyanins (or whatever the proper plural is). One of my supervisors' was an anti-Semite, he also helped me the most (I am Jewish). :shrug:

Ven Hsuan Hua may well have been a saint and held a repugnant belief at the same time. Perhaps it is easier to comprehend if one understands his cultural background. But all that we can reliably conclude is that he was not perfect in every way.
_/|\_
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dan74 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:14 pm People are mixed bags, even great dhyanins (or whatever the proper plural is). One of my supervisors' was an anti-Semite, he also helped me the most (I am Jewish). :shrug:

Ven Hsuan Hua may well have been a saint and held a repugnant belief at the same time. Perhaps it is easier to comprehend if one understands his cultural background. But all that we can reliably conclude is that he was not perfect in every way.
If he were a saint then his views about this matter would have been informed by Dhamma, no?
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:03 pm
Dan74 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:14 pm People are mixed bags, even great dhyanins (or whatever the proper plural is). One of my supervisors' was an anti-Semite, he also helped me the most (I am Jewish). :shrug:

If he were a saint then his views about this matter would have been informed by Dhamma, no?
Ideally, but I don't think that's how it works. Saints may still be profoundly ignorant on some matters.

I suspect he would've been open to changing his views, given the right opportunity to hear from people such as yourself. That's what happened to the Dalai Lama in a similar situation.
_/|\_
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dan74

To quote what I said some weeks ago:
Although, to give him the benefit of the doubt he could still have had the best intentions despite having these crazy ideas about gays and a conspiracy theory of a homosexual agenda.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Since I took refuge under Master Hua over 40 years ago, I knew him slightly. "Slightly" because his wisdom, compassion and virtue are deeper than deep. He is a blessing to all whose minds & hearts are open.

Here are samples of his teachings.

http://www.cttbusa.org/dharmatalks.asp.html
Ultimately, what is the Dharma? It is just our energy, our vital energy which penetrates heaven and earth to the point that all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are of the same substance as us because our energy is connected. This energy is like our breath; it can be detected. That which is within the energy and controls it is the Dharma. Therefore, it is essential that we nurture our energy; we should not lose our temper. You should cultivate your energy, as in the saying, “Foster the ground of your mind, and nurture the sky of your nature.” This is nurturing your energy. If you want to nurture your energy, then don’t lose your Dharma.
From commentary on Shurangama Sutra, chapter Eight.

EDIT - older post had bad link.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Past life vows made to help him -- forgotten now -- but Master remembered!

Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Hsuan Hua

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

When this future disciple was a sailor he had a taste of the First Dhyana. That set him search of a Master, which he found in Master Hua:

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Healing with Shurangama mantra on trip overseas:

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Learning about & from real Gurus...

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

After a recitation session of Om Mani Padme Hum, Master Hua composed a poem and explained the meaning on the next two pages:

http://www.cttbusa.org/founder/whiteuniverse.asp
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Results of past vows to help translate...

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

http://www.drbachinese.org/online_readi ... /page1.htm

This is Master Hua's verse on the first line of the popular Great Compassion mantra:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Master Hsu Yun continues in the Preface to the Chan Handbook by Master Hua:
The Thus Come Ones’ wisdom and virtue is embodied within all Buddhas and sentient beings and is not dual or different. Anyone who can be apart from false thoughts and attachments can certify to the Thus Come Ones’ wisdom and virtue and become a Buddha. Otherwise, we remain ordinary sentient beings.
Immeasurable eons ago we became caught in the cycle of birth and death. By now, we have been defiled for so long that we cannot just suddenly get rid of our false thoughts and see our original nature. That is why we have to investigate Chan. Therefore, the first step in investigating Chan is to eliminate false thoughts. How can false thoughts be eliminated? Sakyamuni Buddha talked a lot about this. The easiest method is none other than ceasing. The saying goes: ceasing is Bodhi.