Hsuan Hua - opinions

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Christopherxx

Hsuan Hua - opinions

Post by Christopherxx »

Hi guys

We have a Hsuan Hua associated monastery in the area and I have been curious about it. I have heard that this teacher was very influential in trying to help reconcile Theravada and Mahayana. That he donated the land that became the Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery.

I was just wondering if anyone knew more about him then is listed in Wikipedia. It's very scarce. Doesn't really tell much about his teachings or the doctrines and such around the association.

Thanks everyone!
Aloka

Re: Hsuan Hua - opinions

Post by Aloka »

There's a list of his writings that you can read at this website, beginning with "The Buddha speaks of Amitabha Sutra".

http://online.sfsu.edu/rone/Buddhism/VenHua/hua.htm

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

http://www.drbachinese.org/vbs/publish/1970-1980.htm

This should more than meet your curiosity. Don't let the Chinese scare you off. These journal all have English translations.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Thanks Aloka I had found that to but thought there must be more. For such a huge organization I would expect some standard doctrine and other pamphlets.

And tilt wow: I am guessing this is a journal that the whole lineage participates in and is exclusive to the lineage? Sorry for the question but it's getting late here and I am already extremely tired. I opened it up a bit and there seems to be a ton of info.

I'd be curious what your thoughts on this lineage are. I've always respected your opinions.
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Hey Robert just saw your msg guess we where typing at the same time haha.

I have seen that in my search through. Definitely not something I would associate myself with believing at this point but I really have no experience with understanding homosexual relationships and kamma for that matter I don't really understand the depth to heterosexual relationships now that I've delved a bit deeper into it.

Maybe in my own view though I would just view it as sensual delight either from a hetero, homo, or bi, perspective.

I find with a lot of the old thai monks and Chinese monks and other monks just like are own western old generation they are caught in that area of cultural premises. I'm not giving him an escape though. Definitely good for these teachings to be addressed and hopefully their sangha has or will do so in a very serious way :)

Kinda reminds me of our Vinaya which I view a lot differently than I use to when I was younger. It has the part where certain people can never be monks *eunuchs, hermaphrodites, communion by theft* when I was younger I probably just would go along with it. now a lot more questioning is involved. for instance the story of one eunuch being sexually a bit intense to generalization of all eunuchs and exclusion from the holy life. It's to bad we just don't see the scholarship and debates in these areas. I hope Maitreya comes soon lol!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Christopherxx wrote:Thanks Aloka I had found that to but thought there must be more. For such a huge organization I would expect some standard doctrine and other pamphlets.

And tilt wow: I am guessing this is a journal that the whole lineage participates in and is exclusive to the lineage? Sorry for the question but it's getting late here and I am already extremely tired. I opened it up a bit and there seems to be a ton of info.

I'd be curious what your thoughts on this lineage are. I've always respected your opinions.
To answer your question, I have no idea. I think it is those journal you get these utterly fascinating accounts of his life in China, which are best put into the class of hagiography.

I really have no opinion about him one way or the other, other than he was a very colorful character.

and thanks.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is video sketch of Master Hua's life with testimonies from a few of those who knew him.

Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Wasn’t he the anti-gay monk who thought that xenotransplantation would literally turn humans into animals?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:57 am Wasn’t he the anti-gay monk who thought that xenotransplantation would literally turn humans into animals?
He did have some strange opinions. But it is perhaps even more significant how we tend to zoom in on the little weird bits to the almost complete exclusion of all the good one did.
_/|\_
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Christopherxx wrote: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:37 am Doesn't really tell much about his teachings or the doctrines and such around the association.
Other than his strange views on sexuality it's basically just Chan Buddhism or Chinese Zen.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dan74 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:05 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:57 am Wasn’t he the anti-gay monk who thought that xenotransplantation would literally turn humans into animals?
He did have some strange opinions. But it is perhaps even more significant how we tend to zoom in on the little weird bits to the almost complete exclusion of all the good one did.
I wouldn’t call noticing absurd beliefs strange.
robertk

Post by robertk »

A bit of history. I had some correspondence a few years back, with a monk from the temple, ven. Heng Shure.

His teacher in Thailand decades ago, before he ordained at golden temple back in the States, was Sujin Boriharnwanaket.

A very knowledgeable and humble monk it seemed to me, and respectful of Theravada tradition.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:46 pm
He thought that gay people were part of a secret underground esoteric religion that was only starting to go aboveground and reveal itself in his time. That's some wild conspiratorial thinking. If you like anti-gay conspiracies and gossip about Tibetan sex practices, you'll like Ven Xuānhuà. But he wont like you similarly, because he's also sectarian.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:43 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:46 pm

He thought that gay people were part of a secret underground esoteric religion that was only starting to go aboveground and reveal itself in his time. That's some wild conspiratorial thinking. If you like anti-gay conspiracies and gossip about Tibetan sex practices, you'll like Ven Xuānhuà. But he wont like you similarly, because he's also sectarian.
I’ve been found out! :spy:

:jumping: