Theosophy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
chownah

Re: Theosophy

Post by chownah »

Will wrote:It appears chownah thinks of 'connections' as doctrinal or intellectual overlaps or similarities. I do not.

Of the several billions of people on this planet a very small percentage ever ponders much (if at all) on universal questions. What are we? What is the meaning of life? What order (or lack of) is there in the universe? etcetera.

Any human or group of same, that treads a harmless, altruistic path while seeking wisdom or truth is connected to other groups with a similar outlook.
That's great. I still don't see how what you posted has anything to do with a harmless, compassionate path?
chownah
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A short overview of Theosophy, also in booklet form:

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/gdp ... osophy.pdf
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Will wrote:A short overview of Theosophy, also in booklet form:

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/gdp ... osophy.pdf
What is Theosophy?
A General View for Inquirers By Charles J. Ryan

Published as part of a set in the 1930s and '40s by Theosophical University Press; Revised Electronic Edition copyright © 1998 by Theosophical University Press.
It's an outstanding demonstration of the fact that they haven't had a new idea for seventy years, but it's not an answer to chownah's question.

:coffee:
Kim
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Kim OHara wrote: It's an outstanding demonstration of the fact that they haven't had a new idea for seventy years, but it's not an answer to chownah's question.

Kim
Correct, and the Dhamma has not had (nor needed) a new idea for 2500+ years.

Since chownah's 'question' is unanswered by me, fine, I can live with that.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Will wrote: the Dhamma has not had (nor needed) a new idea for 2500+ years.
Incorrect. The Buddha's teachings became the foundation of fruitful systematic ongoing development.
Will wrote:Since chownah's 'question' is unanswered by me, fine, I can live with that.
It was a legitimate and pertinent question. Your refusal to answer it does you no credit.

:namaste:
Kim
Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

Here's some more things to keep in mind about Theosophy. Madame Blavatsky's supposed contacts with Tibetan masters were likely forged by her own hand.

Also, Blavatsky wrote that Satan is a wise, divine being, who is the Christian version of the devil. This is problematic for a Buddhist who believes that Mara, the devil, is a real being and evil.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.matthewsatori.tumblr.com
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Santi253 wrote:Here's some more things to keep in mind about Theosophy. Madame Blavatsky's supposed contacts with Tibetan masters were likely forged by her own hand.
Firstly, HPB's main gurus were Hindus not Tibetans, secondly you know not whereof you speak.

Consider the testimony of those who saw some Brothers known to Blavatsky:

http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/master ... rswith.htm
Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

Please stop acting like I don't know what I am talking about. As a former new ager and former admirer of Madame Blavatsky, I "know whereof I speak."
Will wrote:[
Firstly, HPB's main gurus were Hindus not Tibetans
As taught by Blavatsky, Theosophy holds that there is an ancient and secretive brotherhood of spiritual adepts known as the Masters, who — although found across the world — are centred in Tibet. These Masters are believed to have cultivated great wisdom and paranormal powers, and Theosophists believe that it was they who initiated the modern Theosophical movement through disseminating their teachings via Blavatsky. They believe that these Masters are attempting to revive knowledge of an ancient religion once found across the world and which will again come to eclipse the existing world religions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosophy ... he_Masters
Master KH is said to live in a house in a ravine in Tibet, near the house of Master Morya. In 1881, Colonel Henry S. Olcott wrote to A. O. Hume:

I have also personally known [Master Koot Hoomi] since 1875. He is of quite a different, a gentler, type, yet the bosom friend of the other [Master Morya]. They live near each other with a small Buddhist Temple about midway between their houses. In New York, I had . . . and a colored sketch on China silk of the landscape near [Koot Hoomi]'s and my Chohan's residences with a glimpse of the latter’s house and of part of the little temple.[4]
Mme. Blavatsky, in a letter to Mrs. Hollis Billings wrote:

Now Morya lives generally with Koot-Hoomi who has his house in the direction of the Kara Korum [Karakoram] Mountains, beyond Ladak, which is in Little Tibet and belongs now to Kashmire. It is a large wooden building in the Chinese fashion pagoda-like, between a lake and a beautiful mountain. . . .[5]

This is confirmed by a reference given by Mahatma K. H. himself, in a letter to A. P. Sinnett:
I was coming down the defiles of Kouenlun — Karakorum you call them . . . and was crossing over to Lhadak on my way home.[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koot_Hoomi
She claimed to have then received a message from Morya to travel to Constantinople, where he met her, and together they traveled overland to Tibet, going through Turkey, Persia, Afghanistan, and then into India, entering Tibet via Kashmir.[80] There, they allegedly stayed in the home of Morya's friend and colleague, Master Koot Hoomi, which was near to Tashilhunpo Monastery, Shigatse. According to Blavatsky, both Morya and Koot Hoomi were Kashmiris of Punjabi origin, and it was at his home that Koot Hoomi taught students of the Gelugpa sect of Tibetan Buddhism. Koot Hoomi was described as having spent time in London and Leipzig, being fluent in both English and French, and like Morya was a vegetarian.[81]

She claimed that in Tibet, she was taught an ancient, unknown language known as Senzar, and translated a number of ancient texts written in this language that were preserved by the monks of a monastery; she stated that she was, however, not permitted entry into the monastery itself.[82] She also claimed that while in Tibet, Morya and Koot Hoomi helped her develop and control her psychic powers. Among the abilities that she ascribed to these "Masters" were clairvoyance, clairaudience, telepathy, the ability to control another's consciousness, to dematerialize and rematerialize physical objects, and to project their astral bodies, thus giving the appearance of being in two places at once.[83] She claimed to have remained on this spiritual retreat from late 1868 until late 1870.[84] Blavatsky never claimed in print to have visited Lhasa, although this is a claim that would be made for her in various later sources, including the account provided by her sister.[85]

Many critics and biographers have expressed doubts regarding the veracity of Blavatsky's claims regarding her visits to Tibet, which rely entirely on her own claims, lacking any credible independent testimony.[86] It has been highlighted that during the nineteenth century, Tibet was closed to Europeans, and visitors faced the perils of bandits and a harsh terrain; the latter would have been even more problematic if Blavatsky had been as stout and un-athletic as she would be in later life.[87] However, as several biographers have noted, traders and pilgrims from neighboring lands were able to access Tibet freely, suggesting the possibility that she would have been allowed to enter accompanied by Morya, particularly if she had been mistaken for an Asian.[88] Blavatsky's eyewitness account of Shigatse was unprecedented in the West,[84] and one scholar of Buddhism, D. T. Suzuki, suggested that she later exhibited an advanced knowledge of Mahayana Buddhism consistent with her having studied in a Tibetan monastery.[89] Lachman noted that had Blavatsky spent time in Tibet, then she would be "one of the greatest travelers of the nineteenth century",[90] although added that "in all honesty I do not know" if Blavatsky spent time in Tibet or not.[91] Conversely, biographer Marion Meade commented on Blavatsky's tales of Tibet and various other adventures by stating that: "hardly a word of this appears to be true".[92]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Blavatsky#Tibet
The Mahatma Letters to A.P. Sinnett is a book published in 1923 by A. Trevor Barker. (ISBN 1-55700-086-7) According to Theosophical teachings, the letters were written between 1880 and 1884 by Koot Hoomi and Morya to A. P. Sinnett.[1] The letters were previously quoted in several theosophical books (e.g. The Occult World by Sinnett), but not published in full.The letters were important to the movement due to their discussions on the theosophical cosmos and spiritual hierarchy. The original letters have been in the possession of the British Museum since 1939...

Leo Klejn wrote that Blavatsky's reputation was "seriously damaged after due consideration his occult phenomena by English psychologists".[10] A historian of esotericism Johnson speculates that the "Masters" that Blavatsky wrote about and produced letters from were actually idealizations[11] of people who were her mentors.[12
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mahat ... P._Sinnett
As one can see, Madame Blavatsky's reputation was badly damaged for falsely claiming to be in contact with Tibetan masters.

In the future, please try to avoid using pompous language while making false claims about other people. Thank you.
Last edited by Santi253 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Non-violence is the greatest virtue, cowardice the greatest vice. - Mahatma Gandhi

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Santi253 wrote:Please stop pretending like I don't know what I am talking about. As a former new ager and former admirer of Madame Blavatsky, I "know whereof I speak."
Ah, Sage Wiki is your guru. I rest my case re your ignorance about the Brothers & Adepts known to Blavatsky and others.
Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

Will wrote:
Santi253 wrote:Please stop pretending like I don't know what I am talking about. As a former new ager and former admirer of Madame Blavatsky, I "know whereof I speak."
Ah, Sage Wiki is your guru. I rest my case re your ignorance about the Brothers & Adepts known to Blavatsky and others.
If you don't like Wikipedia, please do your own research. One of the most basic facts about Madame Blavatsky is that she claimed to be in contact with Tibetan masters:
Hints are thrown out as to other meetings on her travels, and we are told that she studied ancient philosophy and science under the Master's direct tutelage in Tibet covering periods aggregating at least seven years of her life.
http://blavatskyarchives.com/kuhnmahatmaletters.htm
Please refrain from using pompous language, especially when you don't really know what you are talking about. Thank you. I'm sorry if I'm being out of line.

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

"Will" is just a screen name, my real name is Nicholas Weeks. I have done much original research on Blavatsky and Theosophy. One example is my use of Blavatsky Archives, (the owner of which I know) to support the fact (from original sources) that HPB's two main teachers were Hindus, not Tibetans. Perhaps my 50 years of involvement in the theosophical movement might mean something to you, but I doubt it.

I knew and worked with Boris de Zirkoff, the compiler of the Collected Writings of Blavatsky. I have other credentials too, but the main thing Santi, is for you to consider the possibility that your knowledge is this area is inferior to others; perhaps even me.
Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

For whatever reason, someone started a thread about Madame Blavatsky, without first knowing the basic facts regarding her life and writings. Madame Blavatsky, like Aleister Crowley, was a charlatan at best and seriously disturbed (or evil) at worst.

At a time when the Buddha's life and teachings were relatively unknown in the West, occultists were able to get away with cribbing Buddhism to add some sort of legitimacy to their work. Today, people hopefully know better.

The time I wasted being an admirer and reader of her work is something I will never get back. For the 100 proof truth, that isn't intermixed with occultist quackery, this is a good place to start:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/209 ... ha_s_Words
Last edited by Santi253 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Santi253

Post by Santi253 »

Please keep in mind that I am not trashing people who sincerely believe in Theosopy. It just so happens that Theosophy's connection to Buddhism is tenuous at best. If people want to follow the ramblings of a racist, antisemitic occultist, I am not going to judge them for it.
Generally speaking, a large percentage of the people who live in the time of the period of the fifth root race are part of the fifth root race. However Blavatsky also opines that some Semitic peoples have become "degenerate in spirituality". She asserted that some peoples descended from the Lemurians are "semi-animal creatures". These latter include "the Tasmanians, a portion of the Australians and a mountain tribe in China." There are also "considerable numbers of the mixed Lemuro-Atlantean peoples produced by various crossings with such semi-human stocks -- e.g., the wild men of Borneo, the Veddhas of Ceylon, most of the remaining Australians, Bushmen, Negritos, Andaman Islanders, etc."[26] All these aforementioned groups mentioned by Blavatsky except the purported "wild men of Borneo" (not to be confused with the famous circus duo, the Wild Men of Borneo) are part of what was in the late 19th and most of the 20th century was called the Australoid race (except for the Bushmen, part of the Capoid race), both of which races, as noted above, were believed by traditional Theosophists to have been descended from the Lemurians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_race

form

Post by form »

Will wrote:"Will" is just a screen name, my real name is Nicholas Weeks. I have done much original research on Blavatsky and Theosophy. One example is my use of Blavatsky Archives, (the owner of which I know) to support the fact (from original sources) that HPB's two main teachers were Hindus, not Tibetans. Perhaps my 50 years of involvement in the theosophical movement might mean something to you, but I doubt it.

I knew and worked with Boris de Zirkoff, the compiler of the Collected Writings of Blavatsky. I have other credentials too, but the main thing Santi, is for you to consider the possibility that your knowledge is this area is inferior to others; perhaps even me.
Will, very interesting. Can you pls share some information on cw leadbeater? Did he really have the ability to see charkras and auras?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Will, very interesting. Can you pls share some information on cw leadbeater? Did he really have the ability to see charkras and auras?
Leadbeater saw a great deal, but rarely clearly. He distorted theosophy into utter flapdoodle. Here is a critical biography:

http://www.leadbeater.org