Taoism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Taoism

Post by DNS »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am This religion is quite mysterious to me. :spy:

And I think this religion is more likely reduced to rites and rituals involved many gods and goddesses, like what happened in Taiwan Taoism communities.
Taoism, like most religions, comes in various forms. Roughly, about 3 major forms:

There is philosophical Taoism, that focuses on ethics and the teachings in the Tao Te Ching.
There is polytheistic Taoism, which focuses on rites and rituals and prayer.
There is longevity Taoism, which focuses on health and fitness exercises.

I'd say Taoism has more in common with Mahayana, especially Zen, than Theravada.

Whereas, the closest religion to Theravada is Jainism, with its sramana path.
form

Re: Taoism

Post by form »

DNS wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm
Ontheway wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am This religion is quite mysterious to me. :spy:

And I think this religion is more likely reduced to rites and rituals involved many gods and goddesses, like what happened in Taiwan Taoism communities.
Taoism, like most religions, comes in various forms. Roughly, about 3 major forms:

There is philosophical Taoism, that focuses on ethics and the teachings in the Tao Te Ching.
There is polytheistic Taoism, which focuses on rites and rituals and prayer.
There is longevity Taoism, which focuses on health and fitness exercises.

I'd say Taoism has more in common with Mahayana, especially Zen, than Theravada.

Whereas, the closest religion to Theravada is Jainism, with its sramana path.
The original Tao de jing has level comparable to very high form of Buddhism. Many differences are likely to stem from difference in cultural setting. It lacks the ethic part because it is beyond that level, it also talks about selfless, disturbance of the five senses, natural, impartial breath, and many parallels.