On Your Way Home - A Road to Nirvana for the West

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
PeterC86

Re: On Your Way Home - A Road to Nirvana for the West

Post by PeterC86 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:54 pm Greetings,

You seem to believe in an external reality, glancing over your book.

Metta

:)
Greetings Ceisiwr,

Give it some more time and effort, maybe you will see things differently, or not.

Warm regards,
Peter
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Metta

Greetings Ceisiwr,

Give it some more time and effort, maybe you will see things differently, or not.

Warm regards,
Peter
Well, do you?
Paññaṃ nappamajjeyya, saccamanurakkheyya, cāgamanubrūheyya, santimeva so sikkheyyā’ti

“One should not neglect wisdom, should preserve truth, cultivate relinquishment and train for peace.”

Dhātuvibhaṅga Sutta
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:14 pm

Metta

Greetings Ceisiwr,

Warm regards,
Peter
Well, do you?
Mu
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:07 pm
Dinsdale wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:56 pm
PeterC86 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:26 pm This topic deals with my path, which approaches the Buddhist teaching from a logical perspective, and can be seen in relation to other paths that teach the way to liberation.

An investigation into these other paths, and how they relate to each other on a fundamental level, can be found in this topic; viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36821&start=90#p555520

so that every potential student can choose his or her own way. Every one of these paths (Theravada, Mahayana, Taoism, Zen, my path) takes a different approach, but they lead to the same realization. So the experience of liberation resulting from any of those paths, is neither the same nor different than the other. May you all have swift progress on the path, whatever path this may be.

_/|\_
Just a suggestion, but if you stop pretending to be a teacher, you might actually learn something here.
In any case, this is a discussion forum, and not a place to preach.
Dear Dinsdale,

What do I preach? Besides saying that everyone should decide for themselves what path to take, and that no one else can decide the best path for you? Which is an empty preach.

I can only advice you to take a bit of a personal distance, to see how everything fits together. It is up to you what you do with this advice.

Warm regards,
Peter
You just don't get it.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Greetings Ceisiwr,

Warm regards,
Peter
Well, do you?
Mu
Sorry but no. The Buddha and Arahants taught with more clarity than that. Let me ask something else. Where do thoughts and views arise from?

Metta

Paññaṃ nappamajjeyya, saccamanurakkheyya, cāgamanubrūheyya, santimeva so sikkheyyā’ti

“One should not neglect wisdom, should preserve truth, cultivate relinquishment and train for peace.”

Dhātuvibhaṅga Sutta
SDC

Post by SDC »

Moderator Note: Considering this thread is in Connections, it is acceptable that the OP use this space to discuss his interpretation and how he believes it connects to the Theravada and suttas. He is under no obligation to adhere to Theravada. The only thing that is required is an effort to acknowledge connections. Members are free to challenge the claims here, bearing this in mind.

This is not an open invitation for the OP to evangelize other systems or beliefs, nor to proselytize members. That is against the Terms of Service.
"As fruits fall from the tree, so people too, both young and old, fall when this body breaks." - Raṭṭhapāla (MN 82)
Pārāpariya | Phussa | Subhā of Jīvaka’s Mango Grove | Kappa
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Well, do you?
Mu
Sorry but no. The Buddha and Arahants taught with more clarity than that. Let me ask something else. Where do thoughts and views arise from?

Metta

Everything you need to know, you can find in the different teachings. You can find the answer in my book, but also in the other teachings. Though in the other teachings, the answer will be presented in a different form. It is up to you to choose which one suits you, or not. I have shared everything I know, now it is up to you guys.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Mu

Metta

Everything you need to know, you can find in the different teachings. You can find the answer in my book, but also in the other teachings. Though in the other teachings, the answer will be presented in a different form. It is up to you to choose which one suits you, or not. I have shared everything I know, now it is up to you guys.
I’m asking you, directly, right now. Please explain, even if in simple terms.

Metta

Dhātuvibhaṅga Sutta
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:40 pm The Buddha and Arahants taught with more clarity than that.
That's an inappropriate statement because it implies that the Buddha's teaching capacities and Arahants' teachings capacities could be equated which is not the case since the Buddha's teachings rely on Buddha's knowledge while Arahants' teachings rely on the Buddha's teachings.
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ It's definitely not science but science may provide guidelines nevertheless.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

SteRo wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:02 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:40 pm The Buddha and Arahants taught with more clarity than that.
That's an inappropriate statement because it implies that the Buddha's teaching capacities and Arahants' teachings capacities could be equated which is not the case since the Buddha's teachings rely on Buddha's knowledge while Arahants' teachings rely on the Buddha's teachings.
:roll:

Dhātuvibhaṅga Sutta
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:26 pm Every one of these paths (Theravada, Mahayana, Taoism, Zen, my path) takes a different approach, but they lead to the same realization.
That is a common view but there is no support other than mere belief that this view is appropriate. It may be that this view is nurtured by the fear of missing something when deciding for a certain teaching/path, so it may be based on conceit and ignorance.
But actually a sphere of experience can only understand what lies within its range. That is why there are different traditions that entail different results.
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ It's definitely not science but science may provide guidelines nevertheless.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

PeterC86 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:07 pm What do I preach? Besides saying that everyone should decide for themselves what path to take, and that no one else can decide the best path for you? Which is an empty preach.
That is easily said but not easily done if one has one's own teaching and considers it to be true. Your engagement has something of competitiveness, advocating your teaching as being more appropriate than sutta. Your justification of your teaching with reasons like 'western mind' and 'logical thinking' might be just a projection of your own difficulties with sutta on others who actually don't have the difficulties with sutta that you might have experienced.
Pascal2

Post by Pascal2 »

PeterC86 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 pm I just joined this forum and I recently attained Nirvana.
AFAIK, Nirvana means the end of suffering.
If you put your hand on a stove would you suffer or not? Easy check
Putting our own opinions before facts is the root of all fanaticism?
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Does your hand have nerve damage?

"There are two arrows....."
Then, the monks sang this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and rots.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.

(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Very well done. This is an Abhidhamma work. And your skill in defining the nidayas is excellent.

I see no reason why you should not profit off of this work. It is an excellent break down of Buddhist concepts. I think your illustration of the old/young woman is excellent!!! And it shows your insight.

The owner of Amazon has donated 10 BILLION DOLLARS to the fight against climate change. I don’t think you, PeterC86, should have any reason not to make a profit off of your insights.

It is an amazing work and there is one grammatical error which I noticed in the later sections of the work. But it would take a fine toothed comb to notice it.

You’re interpretation is fully in line with Buddhism and I applaud you for your effort.

My own efforts regarding Buddhism are illustrated here, in this short book

https://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Element ... 756&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/Buddhist-Elements ... 829&sr=8-1

The owner of amazon.com is a philanthropist of the highest degree. I think any help to small authors like my self or Peter is not only a good injection of Buddhist insight but also a confirmation of that philanthropist’s willingness to help the fight against climate change.

Please support small authors like Peter and my self who attempt to push forward the dhamma based on their years of experience and insight. :)

Cheers!
“Monk, the property of light, the property of beauty, the property of the dimension of the infinitude of space, the property of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, the property of the dimension of nothingness: These properties are to be reached as perception attainments.[2] The property of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception is to be reached as a remnant-of-fabrications attainment. The property of the cessation of feeling & perception is to be reached as a cessation attainment."[3]

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html