Why so much hostility towards Baby Boomer Buddhists?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mikenz66

Re: Why so much hostility towards Baby Boomer Buddhists?

Post by mikenz66 »

binocular wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:39 am Google "Americanization of Buddhism" to find some articles and essays on the topic.
This one makes some interesting points:
Of all the religions in America (and ironically enough for a religion famous for denying the self), Buddhism seems to have been the one best able to tap into this desire for spirituality — to transcend its status as a religion and present itself as a free-floating spiritual resource not tied to a particular institution, community, dogma, or ritual. ....
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandeth ... ism/15941/
:heart:
Mike
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:00 am
Extremist views are banned on this forum

What is an extremist view?

Generally it refers to views that blithely reject well-established facts. The views themselves may or may not be hateful, but they are always delusional. Such views seem like an innocuous theory, but they often aim at creating a nationalist, sectarian fundamentalism.

It is not possible to define these with precision, so I will decide on a case by case basis, with consultation if necessary.

We are concerned primarily with Buddhist extremist views, but other forms of anti-reality extremism are included, such as climate change denial.

Examples of hateful views include anti-semitic, homophobic, misogynist, racist and pro-nazi ideas.

Examples of non-hateful extremist views include:

The Buddha was born in Sri Lanka.
Anicca doesn’t mean impermanence.
The original Pali manuscripts at Aluvihara exist.
Pali fundamentalism (Chinese texts are all Mahayana, etc.).

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/ex ... orum/13312

I queried your statement: " Sutta Central just announced new Anti-BDS legislation banning Antisemitism on their website. Fortunate you are not posting the above, there, to avoid the Gulag."

In reply, you quoted from their website: ...."Examples of hateful views include anti-semitic, homophobic, misogynist, racist and pro-nazi ideas." No mention of BDS per se.

So, to be clear, is there something in their site equating BDS with antisemitism; or is the conflation your own?
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

bazzaman wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 amSo, to be clear, is there something in their site equating BDS with antisemitism; or is the conflation your own?
Naturally no. But there are many things in the secular world equating BDS with antisemitism thus this is a path a Buddhist group associates themselves with when they, as a Buddhist group. make antisemitism their #1 listed priority. The Buddha taught non-prejudice. I cannot imagine any authentic Buddhist group highlighting "antisemitism", unless they were interested in tapping into some large donations. Genuine "antisemitism" is an example of "racism". Therefore, there is no point or need of any Buddhist group to highlight both "antisemitism" & 'racism". Its tautology. "Racism" is sufficient.
Examples of hateful views include anti-semitic, homophobic, misogynist, racist and pro-nazi ideas.
The term "antisemitism" is not found in Buddhism therefore it is irrelevant to Buddhism. The suttas, instead, teach:
DN 31 wrote:When a noble disciple is not prejudiced by favoritism, hostility, stupidity, and cowardice,

Yato kho, gahapatiputta, ariyasāvako neva chandāgatiṃ gacchati, na dosāgatiṃ gacchati, na mohāgatiṃ gacchati, na bhayāgatiṃ gacchati;

https://suttacentral.net/dn31/en/sujato
The impression is to highlight "antisemitism" is a form of "prejudice" ("agati"); therefore non-Buddhist. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SDC

Post by SDC »

bazzaman wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50 am ...
DooDoot wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:45 am ...
If either of you need clarification about how the forum at SC is run, I would suggest you take it up with them. This forum is not the place for this discussion. Thanks.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
omph

Post by omph »

Following up this topic: I heard an interview on a [formerly well-respected] podcast where the host complained of being tired of seeing boomer practitioners at dharma centers ('the people who wearing shawls') and that they hold back Buddhism and are too dogmatic. I'm curious if people of different ages really find this to be true, or if it just one random persons limited opinion. Logically it would seem the older someone is, the more likely they are to have more practice experience - just by the fact they've lived longer on the planet.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
omph wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:59 am Following up this topic: I heard an interview on a [formerly well-respected] podcast where the host complained of being tired of seeing boomer practitioners at dharma centers ('the people who wearing shawls') and that they hold back Buddhism and are too dogmatic. I'm curious if people of different ages really find this to be true, or if it just one random persons limited opinion. Logically it would seem the older someone is, the more likely they are to have more practice experience - just by the fact they've lived longer on the planet.
It appears that some people are receiving an education which promotes aversion towards anyone to whom they could collectively blame for their own circumstances. I do not know who the host is, nor do I particularly care, but I would not be in the least bit surprised if the view you shared reflects their divisive political views and their education, moreso than representing the views of an entire generation.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

What I have noticed is that many western buddhists are mired in Greek philosophy,science and American capitalism and have a very dogmatic and over intellectual stance on what should be a practical and simple religion.
Non buddhist Zen Practitioner.
Focus!