Culadasa : An annoucement from Dharma Board

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
binocular

Re: Culadasa : An annoucement from Dharma Board

Post by binocular »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:13 pmOr perhaps Catholics in different communities behave differently.
Sure. I've noticed that Catholics in countries where Catholicism is the traditional majority religion are quite different from the Catholics in countries where it is not.

Anyway, :focus:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Here is an update from Culadasa:
Culadasa wrote: Dear Dharma Friends,

I’m writing to say I’m sorry. I’m sorry for the harm and suffering I have caused my wife and family. I engaged in adultery and wrong speech, and failed to honor my commitment to my marriage. I’m also sorry for the pain I have caused the members of the Dharma Treasure Board, who have all been supportive friends for many years. And I’m sorry for the hurt, disappointment, and confusion this revelation has caused you who are learning about it now. (To be clear, I engaged in consensual relationships with adult women, none of whom were my students.)

Please bear with me as I take time to understand what led me to my choices and address all that’s happened. I intend to enter therapy, and I look forward to hearing and reflecting upon your responses to this letter as a part of my process of cleaning up and growing up. As part of that process I have also begun to work with dharma peers. Please be patient with me as I begin to understand the full impact of what I’ve done. More information to follow, I’ll communicate with you as I’m able.
jabalí

Post by jabalí »

I intend to enter therapy
Words from a Buddhist meditation teacher

The truth is that Dhamma is hard, deep and subtle. It is definitely not a set of meditation techniques seasoned with some comfortable philosophy.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Sorry to revive this thread, but I just started listening to his audio book The Illuminated Mind and was really getting into it...then I discover this about him and I obviously don’t want to finish the book now.

It’s so damaging when Dharma teachers do stuff like this. It destroys people’s faith. I would never teach, because I have too many flaws.
daveblack

Post by daveblack »

Never trust someone who claims to be an arhant but is not even celibate. That's not even possible.
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

daveblack wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:39 am Never trust someone who claims to be an arhant but is not even celibate. That's not even possible.
:goodpost:

It's amazing how many people overlook this fact.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
Digity

Post by Digity »

I had no idea he made those claims. The more I looked into him now the more red flags you see...like charging lots of money.
Digity

Post by Digity »

OMG! I stopped this book and switched to one from sakyong mipham. Today I find out he was accused of sexual assault too. Geez!
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Digity wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:59 am OMG! I stopped this book and switched to one from sakyong mipham. Today I find out he was accused of sexual assault too. Geez!
Wow! You really were unlucky with your choices. The vast majority of teachers and authors in both Theravada and Mahayana are scandal free.
_/|\_
char101

Post by char101 »

Digity wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:59 am OMG! I stopped this book and switched to one from sakyong mipham. Today I find out he was accused of sexual assault too. Geez!
For meditation book, I recommend the one by Sheila Catherine. It was even recommended by this monk who is said to have meditated in jhana for 24 hours: https://americanmonk.org/interview-monk ... -24-hours/.
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

not surprised
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

that's what u get for reading books addressed to seculars

read the buddha's words
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Digity wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:55 pm Sorry to revive this thread, but I just started listening to his audio book The Illuminated Mind and was really getting into it...then I discover this about him and I obviously don’t want to finish the book now.

It’s so damaging when Dharma teachers do stuff like this. It destroys people’s faith. I would never teach, because I have too many flaws.
Indeed...

"Like a beautiful flower full of color but without fragrance, even so, fruitless are the fair words of one who does not practice them." - Dhamapada
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "