The thing about Mahayana

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Aloka

Re: The thing about Mahayana

Post by Aloka »

Dan74 wrote:The bhumis are described in the Flower Ornament Scripture which was extensively studied in Chinese Buddhism.
Are they taught in Zen Buddhism...and the Zen sect/group you belong to yourself, Dan ?

:anjali:

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Aloka wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 pm
Dan74 wrote:The bhumis are described in the Flower Ornament Scripture which was extensively studied in Chinese Buddhism.
Are they taught in Zen Buddhism...and the Zen sect/group you belong to yourself, Dan ?

:anjali:

I think all the monastics in the Chogye (Korean Zen) tradition do some serious sutra study where they learn about this.
_/|\_
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

What is Mahayana? Any Buddhist sect that is not Theravada and does not have a distinct Tibetan flavour is considered Mahayana. It encompasses a range of new and strange sects from Nichiren to Guan Yin Citta to Happy Science. Their links to the Dhamma the Buddha taught is tenuous at best.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

pilgrim wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 am What is Mahayana? Any Buddhist sect that is not Theravada and does not have a distinct Tibetan flavour is considered Mahayana.
No, Tibetan Buddhism is Mahayana Buddhism, too.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

SteRo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am
pilgrim wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 am What is Mahayana? Any Buddhist sect that is not Theravada and does not have a distinct Tibetan flavour is considered Mahayana.
Tibetan Buddhism is Mahayana and Vajrayana.

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

polo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:30 pm
tamdrin wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:30 pm Hi Polo,

There is a well known monk from Thailand named Ajahn Anan. There is a talk on youtube where he is questioned about the Mahayana. In it he says that the Mahayana bodhisattvas such as Manjushri and Avalokitesvara are indeed real. They are highly developed spiritual beings who answer prayers and help others. He also says that some of the bodhisattvas have the same level of peace as non-returners.

you can find the talk here:

Hi Tamdrin, how are feeling today? I hope you have calm nice day. Thanks for your reply to my question.
I hope to hear from you some day. Metta

Hi Polo,

I am doing pretty good these days. A little better I guess. How are you? Send me an e-mail if you can.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Aloka wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:34 pm
SteRo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am
Tibetan Buddhism is Mahayana and Vajrayana.

yes but Vajrayana is Mahayana, too. That's the view of Tibetan Buddhism and to my knowledge that isn't negated by other Mahayana traditions.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.