Are Mahayana monks allowed to marry?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
santa100

Re: Are Mahayana monks allowed to marry?

Post by santa100 »

SteRo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:10 pm
santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:05 pm
SteRo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 pm

I rely on you to convey your enlightenment to the world.
Been trying to do that all along. But I can't convey my enlightenment to someone who finds it much better to learn from a teacher who sticks his junk up his.
just keep delighting the world with the enlightenment you convey!
Of course. And for you, keep learning from whoever teacher gives it to you harder. You'll sure need tons of "enlightenment" from him.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:11 pm
santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:05 pm
Been trying to do that all along. But I can't convey my enlightenment to someone who finds it much better to learn from a teacher who sticks his junk up his.
Of course. And for you, keep learning from whoever teacher gives it to you harder. You'll sure need tons of "enlightenment" from him.
Honestly, I am not inclined towards teachers, I never have been, because the Buddha is my only teacher.
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ . (This is the esoteric essence of the yoga of continuous flow which is no different from the universal flux of materiality. Therefore exoteric natural science provides vital guidelines.) अञ्जलि वागीश्वर
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SteRo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Honestly, I am not inclined towards teachers, I never have been, because the Buddha is my only teacher.
I don't believe you. For if the Buddha was your only teacher, you would've never wasted 20 posts consistently defending the filthy acts of Chogyam Trungpa and his son.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 pm
I don't believe you. For if the Buddha was your only teacher, you would've never wasted 20 posts consistently defending the filthy acts of Chogyam Trungpa and his son.
just don't believe me and that's fine.
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ . (This is the esoteric essence of the yoga of continuous flow which is no different from the universal flux of materiality. Therefore exoteric natural science provides vital guidelines.) अञ्जलि वागीश्वर
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SteRo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:28 pm
santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 pm

just don't believe me and that's fine.
It is what it is.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

santa, you'd be a much better disciple of the Buddha if you reflected on your own behaviour and reactiveness than lashing out at a dead Tibetan teacher and a stranger on the internet. But it is what it is, as you say.
_/|\_
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Dan74 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:32 pm santa, you'd be a much better disciple of the Buddha if you reflected on your own behaviour and reactiveness than lashing out at a dead Tibetan teacher and a stranger on the internet. But it is what it is, as you say.
Dan74, as a disciple wannabe of the Buddha, it is a natural duty to expose all the scams of con artists done under the name of the Dhamma. He might be a dead "Tibetan teacher" to you, but to me, he's a Tibetan man who was "so dead". It is what it is.
MettaDevPrac

Post by MettaDevPrac »

polo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 pm With all these women around him how could he resists even if he wants to.
This seems to be unskillful, leading towards or depending on wrong views. It's not harmless to you or others. It doesn't seem to leads towards liberation; such views can be given up.

Please, examine this.
- MettaDevPrac
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

santa100 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:23 pm Dan74, as a disciple wannabe of the Buddha, it is a natural duty to expose all the scams of con artists done under the name of the Dhamma. He might be a dead "Tibetan teacher" to you, but to me, he's a Tibetan man who was "so dead". It is what it is.
The "scam" was exposed many years ago, this is old news, although perhaps new to you, or maybe just more personal?

Not saying his personal failings were laudable or trying to defend his actions here; he, like all of us, was imperfect. But perhaps it is news to some readers at Dhammawheel that Trungpa was responsible for bringing Dharma to literally thousands of people in the US and UK; many of his original students have children and now even grandchildren who have grown up with Buddhist practice due to his influence. For that, I and many others are supremely grateful.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Justsit wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:29 pm The "scam" was exposed many years ago, this is old news, although perhaps new to you, or maybe just more personal?

Not saying his personal failings were laudable or trying to defend his actions here; he, like all of us, was imperfect. But perhaps it is news to some readers at Dhammawheel that Trungpa was responsible for bringing Dharma to literally thousands of people in the US and UK; many of his original students have children and now even grandchildren who have grown up with Buddhist practice due to his influence. For that, I and many others are supremely grateful.
But if you already knew about many of his scams, then there's nothing to be "supremely grateful" for what he did. He was overpaid with tons of booze, drugs, fame, money, and women; even established a mini Dharma dynasty for his son to inherit. At best, it was a transaction: students paid with their money, some even with their own youthful bodies, he gave them some BS version of the Dhamma, nothing more.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

santa100 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:10 pm
Justsit wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:29 pm The "scam" was exposed many years ago, this is old news, although perhaps new to you, or maybe just more personal?

But if you already knew about many of his scams, then there's nothing to be "supremely grateful" for what he did. He was overpaid with tons of booze, drugs, fame, money, and women; even established a mini Dharma dynasty for his son to inherit. At best, it was a transaction: students paid with their money, some even with their own youthful bodies, he gave them some BS version of the Dhamma, nothing more.
I and many others are grateful for receiving genuine dharma.
But nothing I say will change your view, so I'll leave it at that.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Justsit wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:11 am I and many others are grateful for receiving genuine dharma.
No problem, as long as it was truly "genuine dharma". But coming from that naughty boy? it might seem so to you, but not to me.
polo

Post by polo »

MettaDevPrac wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:44 pm
polo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 pm With all these women around him how could he resists even if he wants to.
This seems to be unskillful, leading towards or depending on wrong views. It's not harmless to you or others. It doesn't seem to leads towards liberation; such views can be given up.

Please, examine this.
I don't get what you are trying to say. If you could elaborate further to make it easy for me to understand.
polo

Post by polo »

Yes, I would agree with that.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

santa100 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:55 am
Justsit wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:11 am I and many others are grateful for receiving genuine dharma.
No problem, as long as it was truly "genuine dharma". But coming from that naughty boy? it might seem so to you, but not to me.
Have you actually read any of Trungpa's books or heard his talks? I know a number of very strict monks who very deeply impressed by his insight in the Dharma, even as their approach to Sila is entirely different. I think the Buddha taught us to focus on our Sila, not on the Sila of others. Ethics is indeed important, but nowhere I remember learning about being moralistic.
_/|\_