Sadhguru

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
befriend

Sadhguru

Post by befriend »

I've heard some talks from sadhguru about meditation being a result not an action, doing or practice. He says when you cultivate the body mind and emotions a meditative state naturally arises. I have dabbled In this by letting go of all negative thinking and speech for a day and my mind was already being meditative or mindful. I have an inkling that if I let go of all negative thoughts had good thoughts and speech exercised my body and cultivated emotions like gratitude and brahma viharas my mind would meditate without me deliberately trying it seems like a nice way to integrate your personality with the Dhamma. So my new practice is too exercise, be observant and thoughtful, read to cultivate my mind and let go of negative thoughts and put myself In other people shoes. I just thought it was an eye opening talk that seemed to make a lot of sense. Just wanted to share that somewhat different approach to meditation.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
SarathW

Re: Sadhguru

Post by SarathW »

I have listened to many talks from Sadhguru.
His talks are mainly on the Sila aspect and Dana aspect.
I could not find any substantial meditation instructions except a lot of Bakti Puja (Amisa Puja).
There is no any supermundane teaching.
However not a bad way to start but you have to quickly move out.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Yes
SarathW wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 pm I have listened to many talks from Sadhguru.
His talks are mainly on the Sila aspect and Dana aspect.
I could not find any substantial meditation instructions except a lot of Bakti Puja (Amisa Puja).
There is no any supermundane teaching.
However not a bad way to start but you have to quickly move out.
Most of the public talks that sadhguru gives are for the general public where he addresses general issues and attitudes that people can relate to, if any spiritual teacher gives personal instruction it will be more one to one and done privately

In the suttas the Buddha gives more esoteric teachings to bikkhus which means when ones attention is turned within it doesn’t mean ordained monks

When the mind has the ability to turn within or going from the home bodily consciousness to homeless Nikaya then the teachings of Buddha work automatically internally on the mind and illuminate the upaya

So once the general teaching has been understood and applied the next level of awakening is solitary
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

befriend wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:12 pm I've heard some talks from sadhguru about meditation being a result not an action, doing or practice. He says when you cultivate the body mind and emotions a meditative state naturally arises. I have dabbled In this by letting go of all negative thinking and speech for a day and my mind was already being meditative or mindful. I have an inkling that if I let go of all negative thoughts had good thoughts and speech exercised my body and cultivated emotions like gratitude and brahma viharas my mind would meditate without me deliberately trying it seems like a nice way to integrate your personality with the Dhamma. So my new practice is too exercise, be observant and thoughtful, read to cultivate my mind and let go of negative thoughts and put myself In other people shoes. I just thought it was an eye opening talk that seemed to make a lot of sense. Just wanted to share that somewhat different approach to meditation.
I have listened to his talks and i think he speaks slightly of buddhism as he also says body and mind and memory are not u so dont take it seriously and entangle but he himself is angry or still under ego when on camera. so he knows intellectially all things but attained less than arhant?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Interesting video from Sadhguru.
Answers questions from medical students.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Was it clever of him to be named Sad Guru and teach people to be happy?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Inedible wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:20 am Was it clever of him to be named Sad Guru and teach people to be happy?
What do you mean?
Do you think he is sad or that he is asking people to be sad or do you think that he is not a Buddhist?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:38 am ... or do you think that he is not a Buddhist?
It seems clear that he's not a Buddhist. That doesn't necessarily make his teachings worthless, of course. But it's useful to keep in mind if you're trying to use his teachings. Just as one keeps in mind that Rumi or St John of the Cross were not Buddhists...

:heart:
Mike
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

He seems like a clever man and I believe he has probably attained some kind of siddhis/supernatural powers from the Hindu god shiva. However he doesn't really understand Buddhism based on what I've heard from him. I wouldn't follow him as a guru for sure.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I don't believe Sadhguru thinks any part of Buddhism is false, and He actually practices some of it's doctrine. This makes Him at least part Buddhist, and His desire to practice Sanatana Dharma is a supplement on His Path. It seems to me like He is an Enlightened fellow. :namaste:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:19 am I don't believe Sadhguru thinks any part of Buddhism is false, and He actually practices some of it's doctrine. This makes Him at least part Buddhist, and His desire to practice Sanatana Dharma is a supplement on His Path. It seems to me like He is an Enlightened fellow. :namaste:
Buddha was not a Buddhist. Sadhguru is not a Hindu even though his vehicle is Hinduism.
I believe that I still can learn from him at this stage. He is definitely well ahead of me.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

SarathW wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:19 am I don't believe Sadhguru thinks any part of Buddhism is false, and He actually practices some of it's doctrine. This makes Him at least part Buddhist, and His desire to practice Sanatana Dharma is a supplement on His Path. It seems to me like He is an Enlightened fellow. :namaste:
Buddha was not a Buddhist. Sadhguru is not a Hindu even though his vehicle is Hinduism.
I believe that I still can learn from him at this stage. He is definitely well ahead of me.
Buddha was always a Buddhist, at least deep down inside. When He was still figuring things out He already had that Enlightenment He reached at Gaya in Him, He just wasn't showing it to others because He wanted them to follow His path and become Enlightened in a similar way. However you are correct in a very powerful way as "Buddhist" and "Hindu" are both designations, and are as you say Vehicles towards Enlightenment whereas the real identity of a person is Metta and nothing else. I do think that Buddha would call Himself a Buddhist as part of that Metta though, and by far forever. I share a similar light in my goal to being a Buddhist for all of Eternity, but at the same time understanding it is not a designation that should separate me from the Metta of other people. What you say is very wise, and there are always different levels of understanding things. :anjali: .
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

What you have said has brought me to a deeper level of meditation, so I thank you for it.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 am What you have said has brought me to a deeper level of meditation, so I thank you for it.
Thank you for the feedback.
When you go beyond designation in terms of religion, caste, creed, nationality, gender, and color, etc, that give you great peace and happiness in your mind.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

SarathW wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:26 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 am What you have said has brought me to a deeper level of meditation, so I thank you for it.
Thank you for the feedback.
When you go beyond designation in terms of religion, caste, creed, nationality, gender, and color, etc, that give you great peace and happiness in your mind.
You are fully correct. I believe that is what Buddha was all about. I think you have a very high level of Spiritual awareness. :anjali: