Eckhart Tolle. Your opinion?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
No_Mind

Eckhart Tolle. Your opinion?

Post by No_Mind »

There has been no discussion about Eckhart Tolle in this forum for about 8 years. Lockdown .. and I thought this would be a great time to discover what the new users since 2012 think of him.

It is not easy to dismiss him. At least not as easily as one can dismiss Sadhguru. But I am sort of convinced that he is not what he seems. I am sharing one of his videos. You would have to watch quite a few (each no more than few minutes) to realize that it is not easy to cut him off at the knees (metaphorically).

He is not an obvious imposter but his recent bout of promoting his wife has caught my eye. Till that time (about a year back) I was sort of convinced that he is an Instagram era Jiddu Krishnamurti.

Sample video

Eckhart's channel on YT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj9fPe ... 7mSo-tB1Mg

His transformation -
One night in 1977, at the age of 29, after having suffered from long periods of depression, Tolle says he
experienced an "inner transformation". That night he awakened from his sleep, suffering from feelings
of depression that were "almost unbearable," but then experienced a life-changing epiphany.
Recounting the experience, he says,
I couldn’t live with myself any longer. And in this a question arose without an answer: who is
the ‘I’ that cannot live with the self? What is the self? I felt drawn into a void! I didn’t know at
the time that what really happened was the mind-made self, with its heaviness, its problems,
that lives between the unsatisfying past and the fearful future, collapsed. It dissolved. The
next morning I woke up and everything was so peaceful. The peace was there because there
was no self. Just a sense of presence or "beingness," just observing and watching.
Tolle recalls going out for a walk in London the next morning, and finding that "everything was
miraculous, deeply peaceful. Even the traffic."The feeling continued, and he began to feel a strong
underlying sense of peace in any situation. He stopped studying for his doctorate, and for a period of
about two years after this he spent much of his time sitting, "in a state of deep bliss," on park benches in
Russell Square, Central London, "watching the world go by." He stayed with friends, in a Buddhist
monastery, or otherwise slept rough on Hampstead Heath. His family thought him "irresponsible, even
insane." He changed his first name from Ulrich to Eckhart; by some reports this was in homage to the
German philosopher and mystic, Meister Eckhart.
A 2012 interview article states that he saw the
name Eckhart on one of a pile of books in a dream, and knew he had written the book; soon after in real
life he ran into a psychic friend who called him Eckhart out of nowhere, so he changed his name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle
:namaste:
Last edited by No_Mind on Mon May 04, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Coëmgenu

Re: Eckhart Tolle. Your opinion?

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 pm At least not as easily as one can dismiss Sadhguru.
:rofl:
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I think I did at one stage listen to a few of his talks and I thought that he was basically OK at what he did and said potentially useful things, but I would rather listen to Dhamma/Dharma teachers.
_/|\_
beanyan

Post by beanyan »

People should not name themselves names that confuse the original teacher with themselves like Eckhart Tolle (people confuse with the original, i.e. Master Eckhart) or Buddhaghosa (people confuse with Buddha), or Krishnamurti (people confuse with Krishna). Its a deceptive practice that on its face proves the person is a fraud.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

It's nothing remarkable with him. He is just another person who states he has had an awakening experience, and so what? But he has a nice sense of humour, and as far as I know, hasn't chased his disciples, and that's cool
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

beanyan wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:57 pm People should not name themselves names that confuse the original teacher with themselves like Eckhart Tolle (people confuse with the original, i.e. Master Eckhart) or Buddhaghosa (people confuse with Buddha), or Krishnamurti (people confuse with Krishna). Its a deceptive practice that on its face proves the person is a fraud.
Basically it seems you don't like theophoric names. Do you think the same about Joshua, Ezekiel, and Jesus as names? They all have "Yah" or "El" in them, and we might confuse them with Yahweh or Elohim.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Whatever helps you relinquish clinging, aversion and delusion is a good thing. Embrace it, put it into practice and don't worry what others think about it. Tolle, from everything that I've seen so far, says good things.
_/|\_
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

beanyan wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:57 pm People should not name themselves names that confuse the original teacher with themselves like Eckhart Tolle (people confuse with the original, i.e. Master Eckhart) or Buddhaghosa (people confuse with Buddha), or Krishnamurti (people confuse with Krishna). Its a deceptive practice that on its face proves the person is a fraud.
Off topic but names based on deities/divine beings/saints are quite common in most cultures.

Anyone who confuses between Krishna and Krishnamurti belongs to a padded cell.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

He is another character that we meet on the path who shares what he knows, something we all do except that only a few of us has as large audience as him. I think forming a firm opinion about him is not a good practice.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
beanyan

Post by beanyan »

No_Mind wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:00 pm
Off topic but names based on deities/divine beings/saints are quite common in most cultures.

Anyone who confuses between Krishna and Krishnamurti belongs to a padded cell.

Of course if you know Latin, you know Eckhart Tolle means Take up Eckhart, and if you know the church fathers you know its a reference to Augustine of Hippo's dream where a voice told him "Tolle lege. Tolle lege." That is, "Take up. Read. Take up. Read." in reference to the Bible. So Eckhart Tolle must be by his name cryptically saying "Read Meister Eckhart." Which probably would be a better idea than reading Eckhart Tolle.
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 pmIt is not easy to dismiss him. At least not as easily as one can dismiss Sadhguru. But I am sort of convinced that he is not what he seems.
It's "easy to dismiss him" on account that he didn't come to his "attainment" by doing what he teaches, but due to posttraumatic growth that followed his psychological breakdown.
I am sharing one of his videos. You would have to watch quite a few (each no more than few minutes) to realize that it is not easy to cut him off at the knees (metaphorically).

But why would one need to "cut him off at the knees"?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
beanyan

Post by beanyan »

binocular wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 am
No_Mind wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 pmIt is not easy to dismiss him. At least not as easily as one can dismiss Sadhguru. But I am sort of convinced that he is not what he seems.
It's "easy to dismiss him" on account that he didn't come to his "attainment" by doing what he teaches, but due to posttraumatic growth that followed his psychological breakdown.
If you read the autobiographical suttas about how Gotama practiced Jain asceticism and then Yoga jhanas to become enlightened, and then after enlightenment switched to teaching no self (and in Mahayana emptiness) instead, you could say the same about him, if you believe he really taught that stuff afterwards.
Volo

Post by Volo »

No_Mind wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 pm At least not as easily as one can dismiss Sadhguru.
What's wrong with Sadhguru? I've heard only a few short talks of him, he sounded reasonable for his tradition.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

No_Mind wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:56 pm
He is not an obvious imposter but his recent bout of promoting his wife has caught my eye. Till that time (about a year back) I was sort of convinced that he is an Instagram era Jiddu Krishnamurti.
An arahant still ignorant about all sort of things . Tolle could be misled and mishandled by his wife . But i did not suggest he is a perfected one .
You always gain by giving
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

People like to talk about people.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.