why dorje shugden is hated?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
confusedlayman

Re: why dorje shugden is hated?

Post by confusedlayman »

Aloka wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:31 am he has compassion seed and i never met him
So have lots of other people you haven't met around the world.

Meanwhile, perhaps you could focus on practising it yourself:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el006.html

:anjali:

every human being has compassion and i respect it. i myself have both compassion and cruel mind.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm Tsem rinpoche is a good monk with compassion.. his compassion may be because of training in his tradition. but why Dorje Shugden is banned or avioded?
If I were an adherent of the Tibetan religion I would avoid joining a sect that requires one to worship this creature because his name always makes me think of Mollie Sugden. And so I'd probably have a hard time keeping a straight face during Dorje Shugden pujas. Notice that it's not just their names that might lead one to confuse the two, but they even wear similar headgear:

Mollie and Dorje.jpg
Anabhirati kho, āvuso, imasmiṃ dhammavinaye dukkhā, abhirati sukhā.

“To not delight in this dhammavinaya, friend, is painful; to delight in it is bliss.”
(Sukhasutta, AN 10:66)
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Dhammanando wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:04 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm Tsem rinpoche is a good monk with compassion.. his compassion may be because of training in his tradition. but why Dorje Shugden is banned or avioded?
If I were an adherent of the Tibetan religion I would avoid joining a sect that requires one to worship this creature because his name always makes me think of Mollie Sugden. And so I'd probably have a hard time keeping a straight face during Dorje Shugden pujas. Notice that it's not just their names that might lead one to confuse the two, but they even wear similar headgear:

Mollie and Dorje.jpg
When the Dalai Lama gave a talk at my university some years ago, he touched the subject briefly. He said (my paraphrase) that it is to his deep regret that the Buddhism in Tibet got mixed up so much with this aspect of propitiating various spirits, which actually has nothing to do with Buddhism.
_/|\_
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Dan74 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:17 pm
Dhammanando wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Mollie and Dorje.jpg
When the Dalai Lama gave a talk at my university some years ago, he touched the subject briefly. He said (my paraphrase) that it is to his deep regret that the Buddhism in Tibet got mixed up so much with this aspect of propitiating various spirits, which actually has nothing to do with Buddhism.
true
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

According to his tradition, everyone has the compassion seed. You should establish a much firmer basis for calling someone "good". It really is necessary to meet people in person, assess their qualities carefully over time, and see how they act under pressure and during challenges. It's particularly during challenges that people show their nature.
polaris

Post by polaris »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:28 pm
SDC wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:36 pm

I think im not breaking rules in forum ...
It wouldn't be against the ToS to talk about it, but you will have to relate it back to Theravada in some way in order for this thread to remain open. I'm sure you could speak about it on DWE otherwise, unless for some reason it is banned over there too.
Is it related to theraveda ?
I am afraid not at all sir.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Hi All, since no one had shown a connection to Theravada with this topic, I'm going to lock for now. If anyone is able to produce a valid connection, please notify the staff and we can reopen the topic.
"As fruits fall from the tree, so people too, both young and old, fall when this body breaks." - Raṭṭhapāla (MN 82)
Pārāpariya | Phussa | Subhā of Jīvaka’s Mango Grove | Kappa