Law of atraction and kamma

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mario92

Law of atraction and kamma

Post by mario92 »

Namaste i want to know your opinion about the theory of the secret or the law of attraction, it seems that the real law of attraction is kamma, but in that theory people seems to have results. In theory what they say is that if you stop thinking bad things you wont attract bad things to yourself (which is mind kamma). Another point is that if you imagine what you want every day that you will attract (wich i dont believe at all). Maybe is another trick of Mara. I want to know your opinion. Thanks

Here is the video

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Law of atraction and kamma

Post by DNS »

Money making gimmick. There's no replacement for hard work, persistence, determination.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Secret
I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it
I thank you all
But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race
And I ain't gonna lose

Freddie Mercury
from "We are the champions" song
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you David :anjali:
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

mario92 wrote: (wich i dont believe at all)
you don't believe, that's true
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thanks for the reply cappuccino :anjali:
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

mario92 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:46 pm Namaste i want to know your opinion about the theory of the secret or the law of attraction, it seems that the real law of attraction is kamma, but in that theory people seems to have results. In theory what they say is that if you stop thinking bad things you wont attract bad things to yourself (which is mind kamma). Another point is that if you imagine what you want every day that you will attract (wich i dont believe at all). Maybe is another trick of Mara. I want to know your opinion. Thanks
Neither good things nor bad things can be affirmed. This is absolute immunity against Mara.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thanks SteRo :namaste:
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

mario92 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:46 pm Namaste i want to know your opinion about the theory of the secret or the law of attraction, it seems that the real law of attraction is kamma, but in that theory people seems to have results. In theory what they say is that if you stop thinking bad things you wont attract bad things to yourself (which is mind kamma). Another point is that if you imagine what you want every day that you will attract (wich i dont believe at all). Maybe is another trick of Mara. I want to know your opinion. Thanks

Here is the video

Yes I agree with you!The law of attraction is KAMMA.

There is some truth in "if you stop thinking bad thought good will attract".Just like when we do metta our mind is filled with good vibrations so we attract good thoughts,when we fill our mind with hateful thought we attract bad situations.ofcourse there are times when we think good thoughts and bad things still happen regardless but other is just past karma playing out and we usually have the tools to deal with compared to when we started off negatively.

The other part about if you imagine what you want everyday that part is what I don't agree with.There are CONDITIONS.For example the one who keeps their sila purely gets their wishes granted.Because their wish is pure.People who perform merits,practice metta those types are the ones who gets doors of opportunity open up to them so they can use their wishes as an aspiration or as a guide to the direction they would like to head.

But just wishing no.it doesnt work.i have tried that before and it never worked.But when i perform merits,keep the sila external circumstances seem tonl unfold in a way that supports my aspirations/wish.There are some things that just won't change,no matter what you do and this is how Uppekha can come into place as we accept that this is our karma

The universe is a give and take,not one sided.A balance has to be maintained.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The classic case of the law of attraction is found in the story of Roja the Malla, a childhood friend of the Venerable Ānanda who was indifferent towards the Buddha.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

The LoA as it is usually presented is just BS. The premise of LoA is wrong since it implies all that every poor person has to do is visualize lot of money in their wallet and it will come true. Thus their poverty is because these people did not visualize money.

They are the cause and the effect all rolled into one. Same for cancer patients, paraplegics, ..........

But having said that there are few things that are true.

A) If you do not have a clear idea of your goals you are not going to succeed at anything - from being a drug lord to an arahant. If you want to call it visualization - so be it. You cannot stumble into success. It has to be planned with a few lucky breaks along the way.

B) Our body is the sum total of our past habits. The body is the reason it is so difficult to give up smoking, drugs and so many things. Most of the time we are held back by the body and not the mind. If you can create a situation where your mind, body, spirit is aligned you can do what you wish. But that is a hard thing to do.

This video does a nice job of explaining. Omit every time Joe Dispenza says "quantum". That is woo-woo. Rest of what he says is quite useful.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you venerable :namaste: thanks akashad and No_Mind :anjali:
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Here is the video

Entertaining the notion that the Law of Attraction actually is real. i'd imagine it would work more like by thinking positively you trigger the good kamma made in ones past to take effect and vise versa.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.
2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.
Dhp1
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thanks TRobinson and pegembara :namaste: