Swami Sarvapriyanand?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Swami Sarvapriyanand?

Post by SarathW »

Swami Sarvapriyananda?
What is the diffrence between Swami and Guru?
It appears this Swami is more like a Buddhist monk (no beard or hair)
They also have Buddha's image in the background.

=========

Swami Sarvapriyananda : Swami Sarvapriyananda has been appointed as Minister and Spiritual Leader of the Vedanta Society of New York, and assumed his duties here on January 6, 2017. He is a Nagral Fellow for 2019-20 at Harvard Divinity School.

http://www.vedantany.org/resident-swamis/
Last edited by SarathW on Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Re: Swami Sarvapriyanand?

Post by SarathW »

The following video about meditation is very interesting.
Not quite Satipathana but it brushes with it.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In the following video (which I did not watch all) he pray (to someone) to lead from death to immortality.
This is not what Buddha taught definitely.

Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Most Swamis are Gurus who follow the Vedic principles. Swami means one who has mastered the senses. For example, a Swami is someone who is able to withdraw their senses from the sense objects like a tortoise withdraws their limbs into it's shell.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

A nice diversion for the bored buddhist. So many gurus and the like, a colorful market on youtube.
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

SteRo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:36 am A nice diversion for the bored buddhist. So many gurus and the like, a colorful market on youtube.
I have spent my entire life, aside from being a Buddhist, following A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. You can read or skim through His books here or here. He is very humble and doesn't claim to be God or Buddha, but deep in my contemplative studies and meditation I have found Him to be Krishna Himself, whom to the Gaudia Vaishnavas is also Lord Buddha. Swami Prabhupada has spent His entire life writing about Krishna, not even for a moment neglecting His duty to Buddhahood and saving humanity. It is greatly for that reason I have come to believe that Buddha can be found in any faith on the planet that is genuine. This is my personal belief and I am not pushing it on anyone, however there are many that share it with me. Om. :buddha2:

Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

But don't find this to odd or singular. You may think I'm crazy but I find Guatama Buddha in Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama as well, heck--even in my own home and throughout my life. Buddha is everywhere.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:47 amIt appears this Swami is more like a Buddhist monk (no beard or hair)
There are actually two kinds of Buddhist Tantrika -- those with shaved heads and robes who follow vinaya and those with long hair and elaborate outfits who look more like what we associate with Hindu Tantra. I'll see if I can find more information on the latter types.
The thus come thus gone,
who has neither came nor went,
enthroned on men’s breath,

like the still turtle,
withdraws six appendages
and is clothed in light --

illuminating
the unilluminated
with three shining cures.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

A Swami in the Vaishnava sect of Vedanta for example is someone who has taken on the principles of Sanyassi, the word Sanyassi was also used for the Buddha in sage Asita's prediction that He was to become an aesthetic, something the Buddha's father immediately rejected in desire for Him to become a Ksatriya. Sanyassis in the Vedic system renounce family life, become celibate, turn to pure vegetarianism and constant chanting as well as absorption in Samadhi. Their purpose is to preach about God. In India they gather Disciples and go door to door often in the dress of a mendicant, begging for food in exchange of giving the householder Divine knowledge. Some write books, some give lectures. Swami Prabhupada spent His life propigating Gaudia Vaishnavism, and succeded in His mission. There were prophecies about Him in earlier generations that He would succeed in doing this. However there are also some pseudo-sanyassis who are sanyassi in name only, who eat meat, don't follow the regulative principles, don't chant, and make a professional show of God consciousness in order to swindle their followers. Therefore if anyone is ever interested in following, or receiving initiation from a Sanyassi, they aught to make sure they are genuine by using their own sense of discrimination they have learned from Buddhism, and only accept them as a Guru if they clearly are following the Spiritual Path. Buddha had many Gurus before He came to His Enlightenment under the Bodhi tree in Gaya, and they were all good, even the Brahman who taught Him early in in His life and later left the palace to become a seeker before the Buddha did taught Buddha the foundations that He used to describe even the Buddhist viewpoint of the cosmos. He later met this Teacher after leaving the palace and wandering in the forest and studied under His Guru in a hermitage, later abandoning it to continue on His personal path. This was one of the aesthetics who joined the Buddha when He was living life to an extreme of arduous practice, who later left Him when these aesthetic Disciples deserted Buddha for taking food from a woman and finding the Middle-Way, thinking Guatama had left the path. However, Guatama then meditated into Enlightenment and after achieving it, receiving the honorary title of "Buddha" from His friends who were bringing Him food inbetween His meditations, seeing His shining countenance. He then found His aesthetic Disciples and they became His first initiates into full Buddhism in that life.

So it is good to accept the wisdom of others, for it will eventually bring you to a higher place you yourself will be able to achieve Nirvana in, giving your compassion and kindness to all beings forever.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Therefore if anyone is ever interested in following, or receiving initiation from a Sanyassi, they aught to make sure they are genuine by using their own sense of discrimination they have learned from Buddhism
Hi Mahabrahma
The above does not make any sense.
Why does a true Buddhist want to follow a Sanyasi?
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:23 pm
Therefore if anyone is ever interested in following, or receiving initiation from a Sanyassi, they aught to make sure they are genuine by using their own sense of discrimination they have learned from Buddhism
Hi Mahabrahma
I am a True Buddhist and have always been one, and my Eternal Spiritual Master is also a Sanyassi. If a Spiritual Path is taught properly it does not contradict Buddhism, because Love is One. It's okay to follow multiple traditions, and eventually the framework of them will, although staying unique and individual, connect, like Indra's Net.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Mahabrahma wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:11 pm
SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:23 pm
Hi Mahabrahma
I am a True Buddhist and have always been one, and my Eternal Spiritual Master is also a Sanyassi. If a Spiritual Path is taught properly it does not contradict Buddhism, because Love is One. It's okay to follow multiple traditions, and eventually the framework of them will, although staying unique and individual, connect, like Indra's Net.
i think u r going away from true goal of buddhism and teaching or aspiring for inferior goal of heaven due to delusion
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Mahabrahma wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm the word Sanyassi was also used for the Buddha in sage Asita's prediction that He was to become an aesthetic.
No it wasn't. In Pali sources Asita uses the verb pabbajati, "to go forth".
Imehi lakkhaṇehi samannāgato agāraṃ ajjhāvasamāno rājā hoti cakkavattī, pabbajamāno buddho.

"If one endowed with these marks remains in the household life, he will become a universal monarch; if he goes forth [into the homeless life] he will become a Buddha."
(Ja-a. i. 56)
In Sanskrit sources he uses the cognate verb pravrajati.
Sacetpunaragārādanagārikāṃ pravrajati tathāgato bhaviṣyati vighuṣṭaśabdaḥ samyaksaṃbuddhaḥ.

On the other hand, if he goes forth from the household life to the homeless life, he will become a Tathāgata, renowned as a Perfectly Awakened One.
(Lalitavistara Sūtra ch. 3)
In Buddhist texts the renunciation of the household life is never referred to as saṃnyāsa, nor Buddhist monks or nuns as saṃnyāsins. The avoidance of the term is almost certainly deliberate and aimed at distinguishing the Buddhist model of renunciation (which ideally is undertaken when one is still young) from the Brahminical "four stages of life" (āśrama) model, in which saṃnyāsa is the fourth and final stage and normally undertaken in old age.
Svākkhātaṃ brahmacariyaṃ, sandiṭṭhikam’akālikaṃ,
Yattha amoghā pabbajjā, appamattassa sikkhato.

“The holy life is well proclaimed,
directly visible, immediate,
Where not in vain is the going forth
of one who trains heedfully.”
— Sela Sutta
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Dhammanando wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm the word Sanyassi was also used for the Buddha in sage Asita's prediction that He was to become an aesthetic.
No it wasn't. In Pali sources Asita uses the verb pabbajati, "to go forth".
Imehi lakkhaṇehi samannāgato agāraṃ ajjhāvasamāno rājā hoti cakkavattī, pabbajamāno buddho.

"If one endowed with these marks remains in the household life, he will become a universal monarch; if he goes forth [into the homeless life] he will become a Buddha."
(Ja-a. i. 56)
In Sanskrit sources he uses the cognate verb pravrajati.
Sacetpunaragārādanagārikāṃ pravrajati tathāgato bhaviṣyati vighuṣṭaśabdaḥ samyaksaṃbuddhaḥ.

On the other hand, if he goes forth from the household life to the homeless life, he will become a Tathāgata, renowned as a Perfectly Awakened One.
(Lalitavistara Sūtra ch. 3)
In Buddhist texts the renunciation of the household life is never referred to as saṃnyāsa, nor Buddhist monks or nuns as saṃnyāsins. The avoidance of the term is almost certainly deliberate and aimed at distinguishing the Buddhist model of renunciation (which ideally is undertaken when one is still young) from the Brahminical "four stages of life" (āśrama) model, in which saṃnyāsa is the fourth and final stage and normally undertaken in old age.
Yes He first used the word "Buddha" definitely, thank you for clarifying that. Then He mentioned that Guatama would become an aesthetic and the exact word was "Sanyassin", which is a variant of Sanyassi, and I saw it being used by sage Asita on the Buddha TV Show, which was in Hindi, He used this word multiple times. It means "abandoning" or "throwing down" in Sanskrit to signify one will become an aesthetic. True sages weren't really afraid of certain words when they could clarify their meaning in such ways, and Buddha didn't force anyone to give up useful Vedic principles that would help with their Buddhism. Buddha of course created His own system of meditation, perfect nonviolence, and adherence to Spiritual principles that lead to Enlightenment, but it was not a rebellion or a shunning of the true Vedic religion, He was only against false Vedic practice that wasn't really sanctioned in the original Vedas, and He also had a plan to advance the philosophies of the given time, such as with Anatta, helping people see clearer. Buddhism isn't understood to be Hinduism, but maybe when we get Spiritually Advanced enough we won't make distinctions between the faiths and find the Buddha within.

I understand what you are saying and you made some very great valid points, and I trust you. Thank you very muxh.

:namaste:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:47 am Swami Sarvapriyananda?

It appears this Swami is more like a Buddhist monk (no beard or hair)
He is a monk of Ramakrishna Mission who look/dress remarkably like Theravada monks (pure coincidence). Many Hindu monks are free of beard and hair and dress in ochre robes.

Listening to him would confuse you Sarath. You do not believe in a permanent, underlying, all pervading essence.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus