Those rejecting Abhidhamma Pitaka itself (regardless of commentaries) are not actual Theravadins (nor Vibhajjavadins)

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DooDoot

Re: Those rejecting Abhidhamma Pitaka itself (regardless of commentaries) are not actual Theravadins (nor Vibhajjavadins

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:12 am But still, Arahants in those times approved of it.
Unsubstantiated
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Those rejecting Abhidhamma Pitaka itself (regardless of commentaries) are not actual Theravadins (nor Vibhajjavadins

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:36 am
retrofuturist wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:13 am Greetings SDA,
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:23 am So, again, big congrats to your memory & wisdom. And, thank you very much for daring to voice right speech.
I think you'll find that Pondera was, as it's called in these parts, "taking the piss".

Metta,
Paul. :)
Hmm 🧐 that’s what I thought too. But maybe not 🤔 hahaha. Yeah yeah. I was (as the brits say) “taking the piss” out of you.

No hard feelings. :rofl:

Oh, English language is very deep. And, I'm glad that part of my above-post doesn't seem to effectively convey air of "Taking the piss." :rofl:
:jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

On a serious note,
Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:35 am ...
IMPOSSIBLE to remember
that's not true; and wrong, if you intend to mean your personal experience in a generalized way. There are those venerables who remember such pieces, and it's not a secret fact.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:26 am
Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:36 am
retrofuturist wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:13 am Greetings SDA,

I think you'll find that Pondera was, as it's called in these parts, "taking the piss".

Metta,
Paul. :)
Hmm 🧐 that’s what I thought too. But maybe not 🤔 hahaha. Yeah yeah. I was (as the brits say) “taking the piss” out of you.

No hard feelings. :rofl:

Oh, English language is very deep. And, I'm glad that part of my above-post doesn't seem to effectively convey air of "Taking the piss." :rofl:
:jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

On a serious note,
IMPOSSIBLE to remember
that's not true; and wrong, if you tend to mean your personal experience in a generalized way. There are those venerables who remember such pieces, and it's not a secret fact.
So POSSIBLE to remember and WORTH IT TOO?

You have to abandon the raft, my friend. :sage:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:50 am
Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:12 am But still, Arahants in those times approved of it.
Unsubstantiated
I bet those Arahants better than you.

Or you will have greed and ego high enough to think that you are better than Arahant Moggaliputta Tissa Thera.

Your choice.
Deleted
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:40 am
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:26 am ...
On a serious note,
IMPOSSIBLE to remember
that's not true; and wrong, if you tend to mean your personal experience in a generalized way. There are those venerables who remember such pieces, and it's not a secret fact.
So POSSIBLE to remember and WORTH IT TOO?

You have to abandon the raft, my friend. :sage:

I think so, for the able ones.

Thanks for the guidance about raft.

These two lines are not sarcasms, if you happen to wonder :lol:
    V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

As you can see, it is so helpful. Not too long. Very useful. So easy for remembering too.
:rofl:

But surprisingly some monks remember the whole Tipitaka.
This is pretty amazing as I sometimes can't remember my date of birth. :tongue:
The first candidate to pass the grueling examinations was Mingun Sayadaw in 1954.[11] His error-free performance across 16,000 pages,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monastic_examinations
Last edited by SarathW on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

SarathW wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:04 am
As you can see, it is so helpful. Not too long. Very useful. So easy for remembering too.

shhh, ... they are speaking in their mother tongue 😛

V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:45 am I bet those Arahants better than you.
You lose the bet because Abhidhamma contradicts suttas therefore cannot be supported by any Arahant.

I have made many posts showing how Abhidhamma contradicts sutta.

You will know the bet is lost when it is decided to focus on the teachings rather than focus on personalities.

:smile:
Last edited by DooDoot on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:46 am
Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:45 am I bet those Arahants better than you.
You lose the bet because Abhidhamma contradicts suttas therefore cannot be supported by any Arahant.

I have made many posts showing how Abhidhamma contradicts sutta.

You will know the bet is lost when it is decided to focus on the teachings rather than focus on personalities.

:smile:
:goodpost: What a dreary place internet Buddhism would be without the intelligence,patience and insight of DD!

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

What a madhouse this place is! Fools with no discernment are everywhere. Here, insanity is called sanity, uninformedness and bias are called intelligence, vanity and passive aggression are called patience, and ignorance is called insight.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:46 pm What a madhouse this place is!
ignorance makes it possible to participate in life

without ignorance you would find nothing of interest

nor would anything be rewarding
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Bliss!

I joke. There is such a thing as "higher pleasure" and "higher rewards" that are not to do with accumulating material goods or even being in nice cozy surroundings. This is what I look for. If I wanted to be cozy, I'd snuggle up to the fire with a blankey, or maybe buy a Lay-Z-Boy.

The things that are "interesting" only via ignorance are things like video games, fantasy novels, and worldly mythopoiea. The things that are "rewarding" only via ignorance are cigarettes, booze, and good sex. What is rewarding to the man is hell to the sage.
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:58 pm Bliss!

I joke. There is such a thing as "higher pleasure" and "higher rewards"
:meditate: