Interbeing

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Interbeing

Post by Sam Vara »

People are probably very familiar with Thich Nhat Hanh's idea of "interbeing". I was recently sent a summary of his "Five Mindfulness Trainings" which is prefaced thusly:
The Five Mindfulness Trainings represent the Buddhist vision for a global spirituality and ethic. They are a concrete expression of the Buddha’s teachings on the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path, the path of right understanding and true love, leading to healing, transformation, and happiness for ourselves and for the world. To practice the Five Mindfulness Trainings is to cultivate the insight of interbeing, or Right View, which can remove all discrimination, intolerance, anger, fear, and despair.
Does anyone know how he derives the idea of "interbeing" from the Buddha's conception of Right View? I can see how he has a vested interest in selling this as part of what the Buddha taught, but Right View....?

What do people think?
befriend

Re: Interbeing

Post by befriend »

If we have the ability to affect each other we are interconnected if I hurt you I will get bad kamma. If you hurt me you will get bad kamma. Maybe it's mundane right view?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

befriend wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:54 pm If we have the ability to affect each other we are interconnected if I hurt you I will get bad kamma. If you hurt me you will get bad kamma. Maybe it's mundane right view?
Yes, thanks, that's a good point. Although I think that "interbeing" is held to extend beyond kamma,
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:51 pm People are probably very familiar with Thich Nhat Hanh's idea of "interbeing". I was recently sent a summary of his "Five Mindfulness Trainings" which is prefaced thusly:
The Five Mindfulness Trainings represent the Buddhist vision for a global spirituality and ethic. They are a concrete expression of the Buddha’s teachings on the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path, the path of right understanding and true love, leading to healing, transformation, and happiness for ourselves and for the world. To practice the Five Mindfulness Trainings is to cultivate the insight of interbeing, or Right View, which can remove all discrimination, intolerance, anger, fear, and despair.
Does anyone know how he derives the idea of "interbeing" from the Buddha's conception of Right View? I can see how he has a vested interest in selling this as part of what the Buddha taught, but Right View....?

What do people think?
Part of Right View is Paṭicca-samuppāda, which Thay also calls “interbeing”.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Agnikan wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:37 am Part of Right View is Paṭicca-samuppāda, which Thay also calls “interbeing”.
Yet, what he described at "interbeing" is not at all what paṭicca-samuppāda is about.

So much for Right View then...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
johnsmitty

Post by johnsmitty »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:51 pm People are probably very familiar with Thich Nhat Hanh's idea of "interbeing". I was recently sent a summary of his "Five Mindfulness Trainings" which is prefaced thusly:

What do people think?
He derives it from purposefully mistranslating dependent origination as co-dependent origination and then claiming that that means interbeing. In any case, he denies there is any exit to rebirth, asserting you will just be reborn forever and that the dharma is simply making peace with that. So his interpretation of Buddhism is certainly not in line with what Buddha taught, as its a denial of Noble Truths 3 and 4 (that there is an exit and a path leading to said exit). It can also be said to be a denial of Noble Truth 2 (i.e. the cause of suffering being lust) because he is positing a different cause of suffering, i.e. not believing in interbeing.
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

johnsmitty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:54 amIn any case, he denies there is any exit to rebirth, asserting you will just be reborn forever and that the dharma is simply making peace with that.
Could you cite a source that supports this claim of Hanh denying an end to rebirth?
johnsmitty

Post by johnsmitty »

Agnikan wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:49 am
johnsmitty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:54 amIn any case, he denies there is any exit to rebirth, asserting you will just be reborn forever and that the dharma is simply making peace with that.
Could you cite a source that supports this claim of Hanh denying an end to rebirth?
Whatever I just said is what I remember from listening to some of his talks on youtube a year or two ago, and I don't know which ones. But basically he teaches like "There is no birth, there is no death" and by that means not that literally there is no birth or death but that you reincarnate forever and therefore never really die or are born, and his teaching is never to break free from reincarnation but just to accept it, and saying "there is no birth, there is no death" is a way to lead toward accepting it. That's what I understood listening to it. That's all. (I also read a few of his books, much further back like in 2015, and its all basically acceptance, never breaking out of a cycle of rebirth. I don't own any of them though, so can't cite a particular place.)
chownah

Post by chownah »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:51 pm People are probably very familiar with Thich Nhat Hanh's idea of "interbeing".
Seems like people are not as familiar with this as you think....certainly I am not familiar with this....and after reading a few posts I am still not familiar with it.
chownah
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

johnsmitty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:54 am
He derives it from purposefully mistranslating dependent origination as co-dependent origination and then claiming that that means interbeing. In any case, he denies there is any exit to rebirth, asserting you will just be reborn forever and that the dharma is simply making peace with that. So his interpretation of Buddhism is certainly not in line with what Buddha taught, as its a denial of Noble Truths 3 and 4 (that there is an exit and a path leading to said exit). It can also be said to be a denial of Noble Truth 2 (i.e. the cause of suffering being lust) because he is positing a different cause of suffering, i.e. not believing in interbeing.
Thanks, j., that's appreciated. :anjali:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

chownah wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:54 am
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:51 pm People are probably very familiar with Thich Nhat Hanh's idea of "interbeing".
Seems like people are not as familiar with this as you think....certainly I am not familiar with this....and after reading a few posts I am still not familiar with it.
chownah
:jumping: That's often a sign that the idea has been badly thought out. Maybe I should have said "...familiar with the word...". :anjali:
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:51 pm What do people think?
I think his teaching may cause agreeable feelings in "lost souls". Thus he perfectly matches the role of a mahayana teacher.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:01 am
chownah
:jumping: That's often a sign that the idea has been badly thought out. Maybe I should have said "...familiar with the word...". :anjali:
What is it?
chownah
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

chownah wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:20 pm
chownah
What is it?
chownah
I'll let the guy and his supporters speak for themselves...

https://www.garrisoninstitute.org/blog/ ... nterbeing/
https://www.learnreligions.com/interbei ... rspective.
johnsmitty

Post by johnsmitty »

chownah wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:20 pm
chownah
What is it?
chownah
Its where they view every being as energy and argue that every being comes into being dependent on every other being, and therefore you only exist because you share energy with all the other beings, so there is no you, nor another being, we're all one...essentially we're all Brahman is what they're saying but will flip out if you point out that's what they're saying. To prove this crazy assertion they will use a physical analogy that is completely off point, like people depend on each other, as the person with bad eyesight needs an optometrist to prescribe him glasses and someone who works at the glasses place to make the glasses. As if that's at all similar to the idea that we are a big blob of energy all sharing the same energy and literally existing inside each other. By interbeing, they mean that my being and your being are interwoven together, like the fibers of a sweater, and therefore, its not possible to separate them and they couldn't exist alone. Forget of course that you could in fact separate the fibers of a sweater. Their idea they will claim is proven by every dumb analogy they use, despite all the analogies falling completely apart instantly. Its all woo woo new age mumbo jumbo.