Jesus is the Only Way?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Kim OHara

Re: Jesus is the Only Way?

Post by Kim OHara »

cappuccino wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:06 pm
Kim OHara wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:03 am
cappuccino wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:12 am

Christians accept the afterlife

hence right view

And the Christian afterlife is eternalism, which is explicitly wrong view.
more right than atheism

which is often the only issue
But atheism is annihilationism, which is also explicitly wrong view. Just as wrong as eternalism, in fact.

2 + 2 = 3 is wrong.
2 + 2 = 5 is just as wrong.

:juggling:
Kim
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Kim OHara wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:54 am But atheism is annihilationism, which is also explicitly wrong view. Just as wrong as eternalism, in fact.
The two kinds of wrong view are asymmetrical. Holding to annihilationism is unavoidably an unwholesome mind-door kamma, for one can't espouse it without also espousing kammic inefficacy. Whether the same is true of eternalism depends on what it's conjoined with. For example, eternalism + theistic determinism is just as bad as annihilationism, but eternalism + the doctrine of ownership of kamma (or a doxastic commitment that's functionally analogous to this) is no impediment to merit accumulation and a bright rebirth.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

:thanks:
I've learned something new.

:namaste:
Kim
buddyjski

Post by buddyjski »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:13 am
Kim OHara wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:54 am But atheism is annihilationism, which is also explicitly wrong view. Just as wrong as eternalism, in fact.
The two kinds of wrong view are asymmetrical. Holding to annihilationism is unavoidably an unwholesome mind-door kamma, for one can't espouse it without also espousing kammic inefficacy. Whether the same is true of eternalism depends on what it's conjoined with. For example, eternalism + theistic determinism is just as bad as annihilationism, but eternalism + the doctrine of ownership of kamma (or a doxastic commitment that's functionally analogous to this) is no impediment to merit accumulation and a bright rebirth.
:goodpost:

Eternalism + view of kamma and fruits of kamma more better than nihilism. Adhamma still more better than nihilism wich has no view of kamma and its fruits. Nihilists dont believe in rebirth, dont believe in fruits of kamma, much adhamma views.

:namaste:
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

asahi wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:23 am Jesus is the only way to heaven if you are a christian because they dont know alternative path .
Good point. I often would hear a Christian say that, if Christianity did not exist, then she would not practice any spiritual tradition/religion. So, for such a person, Jesus is their only way to a heavenly realm.
Tutareture

Post by Tutareture »

4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:47 pm I apologize for misusing arguments about the uncreated creator god's perfection in addressing your incorrect claims, Tutareture. I should have said the following:

But the Christians' creator is portrayed within your scriptures as having will and creative desire - indicating that he, if he were truly the uncreated creator god (ishvara), is imperfect.

None of your words about the benevolence of the motivation of any perfect ishvara for creating the universe (or the perfection of the universe) can disguise the fundamental weakness with your argument, which is that your claimed perfect ishvara desires to create. And to desire to do anything is to reveal an imperfection - otherwise, one would have no desires for any actions.

Let it be assumed, for the sake of argument, that the ishvara creates without desiring. But this would mean that the ishvara's creation, not being motivated by desire, is involuntary. After all, we do not desire to breathe, but we breathe involuntarily - and trees do not desire to grow but grow involuntarily.

Even if it be assumed that an ishvara creates voluntarily without any desire, there remains the fact that these attributes of the ishvara must have cause. If you say that the Ishvara created these attributes of the ishvara that allow it to create voluntarily without any desire, then you merely force back the issue of why an allegedly perfect ishvara would desire to create.

Furthermore, the fact that YHWH, in your model, existed with uncreated energy which he desired to create is strong evidence that YHWH was not and is not unconditioned - rather, he was and is conditioned by two things: his nature (which desires to create) and the uncreated energy (which motivated him to create and provided the raw materials for creation).
What if God is not perfect In the buddhist sence ?so what?it doesn't prove he doesn't exist.his desire to create is part of his altruism and is not a desire brought about by necessity it is pure free will so your criticisms don't apply.and the energies of God are God they are just seperate from his essence.uncreated energies alone being insentient cannot create anything,you can't create something exnihilo without creative desire and omnipotence and I'd say it's only possible within God's mind.

God is a immaterial being and matter is a illusion,quantum physics has proven this.furthermore there must be a unconditioned concrete reality and it must be immaterial because it cannot be restricted by a spatial restriction .

God's energies are God they are nearly infinite and infinite in quality so they can create souls and matter within God's immaterial mind out of nothing with his omnipotence .

You can't create outside of a mind and without omnipotence.and your idea that the universe or it's underlying energy is eternal is against anicca.

You really just made that up to save buddhism.
אַל-תְּהִי צַדִּיק הַרְבֵּה, וְאַל-תִּתְחַכַּם יוֹתֵר: לָמָּה, תִּשּׁוֹמֵם. Be not righteous overmuch; neither make thyself overwise; why shouldest thou destroy thyself? -Ecclesiastes 7:16
Tutareture

Post by Tutareture »

The only form of Buddhism somewhat possibly in line with philosophy and science is jonang.idealism is the conclusion of quantum physics experiments.you haven't read much on this topic hence why you dismiss it so easily.science has proven idealism .but even jonang is wrong because philosophy has proven that The unconditioned reality must be unchangeable and all good and all-knowing.it.cant go into nirvana and change it's nature.and the Infinite regress of births without a beginning birth is illogical.
אַל-תְּהִי צַדִּיק הַרְבֵּה, וְאַל-תִּתְחַכַּם יוֹתֵר: לָמָּה, תִּשּׁוֹמֵם. Be not righteous overmuch; neither make thyself overwise; why shouldest thou destroy thyself? -Ecclesiastes 7:16
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Tutareture wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:06 pm The unconditioned reality must be unchangeable and all good and all-knowing
God is alpha and omega

Nirvana is the end or omega
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

You have a failure of imagination, combined with poorly-thought-through assertions that are false.

Quantum physics doesn't prove that matter is an illusion. It proves that matter arises out of processes at the quantum level. Similarly, idealism is not the conclusion of "quantum physics experiments." It is you with the deficiency of reading and background knowledge here.
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Tutareture

Post by Tutareture »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:12 pm You have a failure of imagination, combined with poorly-thought-through assertions that are false.

Quantum physics doesn't prove that matter is an illusion.
Yes it does do your research even michio kaku said idealism is the logical conclusion of quantum experiments
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Is Michio Kaku the science pope? Are the leagues of scientists who disagree with him science heretics?

Michio Kaku would not agree with most of what you said here. How do I know? Magic.
What is the Uncreated?
Tutareture

Post by Tutareture »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:16 pm Is Michio Kaku the science pope? Are the leagues of scientists who disagree with him science heretics?

Michio Kaku would not agree with most of what you said here. How do I know? Magic.
All top quantum researchers that have done these experiments pretty much agree with him.its the biologists that are atheists and materialists because they've concluded that based on their theory of evolution.

Michio kaku said there is likely a cosmic consciousness.did you watch the video ?you're not even open to new information if it contradicts your beliefs don't know why I'm even arguing with you then.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Tutareture wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:21 pmAll top quantum researchers that have done these experiments pretty much agree with him.
You are wrong, but you are so spectacularly wrong that it will take more than this post to explain how. More to come. I'm on my phone at the moment.
What is the Uncreated?
Tutareture

Post by Tutareture »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:22 pm
Tutareture wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:21 pmAll top quantum researchers that have done these experiments pretty much agree with him.
You are wrong, but you are so spectacularly wrong that it will take more than this post to explain how. More to come. I'm on my phone at the moment.
Before you comment atleast watch the video and then disagree with his conclusions.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

These "Objections to the interpretation" and "Reception" sections of the Wikipedia article on the "Von Neumann–Wigner interpretation," since I think that an actual scientific article citation would to at too advanced a reading level, will serve as some background to what I will say. I have a new personal policy of not speaking to forum trolls and dilettantes, so this exchange will likely be the last time me and the OP are in conversation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neuma ... rpretation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neuma ... #Reception

The chief citation for this section is the survey entitled "A Snapshot of Foundational Attitudes Toward Quantum Mechanics" by M. Schlosshauer, J. Koer, and A. Zeilinger, published in 2013, in "Studies in History and Philosophy of Science," Part B, "Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics," Volume 44, Issue 3. From the citation in the Wikipedia article:
A poll was conducted at a quantum mechanics conference in 2011 using 33 participants (including physicists, mathematicians, and philosophers). Researchers found that 6% of participants (2 of the 33) indicated that they believed the observer "plays a distinguished physical role (e.g., wave-function collapse by consciousness)".
This will put a pin in the absurd claim that "All top quantum researchers that have done these experiments pretty much agree with" Kaku concerning this interpretation, while the longer response remains pending.

On the contrary to the above claim, the statistical number is far closer to 6% who share Kaku's interpretation of quantum mechanics. I believe that my interlocutor is invoking a theistic version of the Von Neumann–Wigner interpretation wherein the mind of God dictates the wave-function either irrespective of or in addition to the consciousnesses of sentient beings who are not "God." I consider this an action of "pass the puck," wherein someone refuses to take responsibility for their actions and/or refuses to admit a consequence of a claim they have made and modifies it. It is very similar to the non-Canadian expression of "moving the goalposts." My subsequent post will outline why scientistists who disagree with Kaku (i.e. most scientists) disagree with his personal opinions that sometimes get confused with actual science he teaches without being what I previous described as "science heretics."
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is the Uncreated?