Indian Buddhist music

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mabw

Indian Buddhist music

Post by mabw »

Greetings,

I have been a fan of Indian arts for some time now. I enjoy Carnatic, Hisdustani music as well as dances such as Bharatanatyam.

My question is, did Indian Buddhists develop musical traditions to the likes of the above? I am referring specifically to India, since I know other countries do have musical/dramatic traditions inspired by Buddhism.

Thank you in advance.
Coëmgenu

Re: Indian Buddhist music

Post by Coëmgenu »

Medieval Indian music is in Pythagorean tuning with few microtones. Wild, no, compared to Indian classical music today? I don't know how involved Buddhists were in the formation of modern Indian classical music. Buddhists have not had good relations with music historically, like the Muslims.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
mabw

Post by mabw »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:02 pm Medieval Indian music is in Pythagorean tuning with few microtones. Wild, no, compared to Indian classical music today? I don't know how involved Buddhists were in the formation of modern Indian classical music. Buddhists have not had good relations with music historically, like the Muslims.
Oh man...not a good start to a first post, by someone who did a course on music no less. Sigh, I feared as much. It's just that Carnatic music for e.g. is pretty devotional. Just thought it'll be pretty cool to listen to something like that about the Three Jewels.

The thing is, Buddhists in India had a rich tradition in architecture and statuary. Not so much appealing to the sense of hearing somehow.

Hoping someone could turn up something interesting here...
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

mabw wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:15 pmJust thought it'll be pretty cool to listen to something like that about the Three Jewels.
All Buddhists get for music is 80s New Wave synthpop, he said not seriously.

What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Serious Buddhist practitioners avoid musical performances (the vinaya for monks and 7th lay precept). So its no wonder music is not a big Buddhist thing from a religious perspective (there are cultural forms of music associated with some Buddhist practices). There is chanting though, which fills that role.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Devotional Chanting is the closest thing to music.

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:10 pm Serious Buddhist practitioners avoid musical performances (the vinaya for monks and 7th lay precept). So its no wonder music is not a big Buddhist thing from a religious perspective (there are cultural forms of music associated with some Buddhist practices). There is chanting though, which fills that role.
I wonder if this precept also includes the internet... Obviously the internet didn't exist during Buddha's time, but it seems like a similar function.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

mabw wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:52 pm Greetings,

I have been a fan of Indian arts for some time now. I enjoy Carnatic, Hisdustani music as well as dances such as Bharatanatyam.

My question is, did Indian Buddhists develop musical traditions to the likes of the above? I am referring specifically to India, since I know other countries do have musical/dramatic traditions inspired by Buddhism.

Thank you in advance.
buddha was against music... so he didn't tell his sangha to develop buddhist music
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
mabw

Post by mabw »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:37 pm
buddha was against music... so he didn't tell his sangha to develop buddhist music
sigh... I know, he did. But the rule doesn't apply to laypeople. And monks also chant with a certain rhythm. So...I have already mentioned some performance arts developed in South East Asia which are inspired by Buddhism. My thread is simply to ask for references to ancient-medieval Indian Buddhist Music.