Source of all Grief

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nicholas Weeks

Source of all Grief

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A Christian minister on the second Noble Truth, the cause of dukkha. Of course he has his own scripture, tradition and terminology. Yet it is refreshing to see this essential element of Dharma appearing from Andrew Wommack:

Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Source of all Grief

Post by Sam Vara »

I didn't watch the whole thing, but he expressed some sound thinking there. He didn't back his point up with any biblical references, so I wonder whether these sort of ideas are filtering into his teaching via a form of secular Buddhism, or maybe Stoicism.

Thanks, interesting! :anjali:
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Source of all Grief

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:19 pm I didn't watch the whole thing, but he expressed some sound thinking there. He didn't back his point up with any biblical references, so I wonder whether these sort of ideas are filtering into his teaching via a form of secular Buddhism, or maybe Stoicism.

Thanks, interesting! :anjali:
At least publicly it is Bible-based, he was inspired to emphasize this selflessness key by Solomon's Proverbs 13:10:
Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.
More quotes from his Bible are later on in the half-hour.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.