Buddhism and Hinduism on Atman.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Zenny

Re: Buddhism and Hinduism on Atman.

Post by Zenny »

Let's cut to the chase.
I believe in immediate eternal truths. Just the same as breathing.
Your posts are the same as someone saying to me your belief that you breathe is a bias.
No matter how you slice it,obvious is obvious.
You can be a skeptic or talk all day about bias and empiricism and other phrases,bottom line is breathing is breathing.
Or does one need to check whether that's true by dialectics?
Non buddhist Zen Practitioner.
Focus!
dicsoncandra

Post by dicsoncandra »

Zenny wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:09 am Let's cut to the chase.
I believe in immediate eternal truths. Just the same as breathing.
Your posts are the same as someone saying to me your belief that you breathe is a bias.
No matter how you slice it,obvious is obvious.
You can be a skeptic or talk all day about bias and empiricism and other phrases,bottom line is breathing is breathing.
Or does one need to check whether that's true by dialectics?
*yawn* I am not responsible for your misunderstanding of my post. It is clear and concise, which you always asked for.

Do you believe you are breathing or do you know it? I know I am breathing because it is a simple action and not a multi-layered metaphysical conceptual view.

You conflating the two persistently only reveals your obvious intentions, which is to prove your own preconceptions. Even so, I have pointed out to you where you made the leap in conclusion with regard to your conceptual view and you can't even refute this. On top of that, your use of fallacious arguments to win is exactly what you called 'sophistry'.

How is a conceptual view obvious when you acknowledge the co-existence of subjective truths? Stop contradicting yourself. Your contradictions and use of fallacies take away your credibility every single time, which has been for a long time now.
arising is manifest;
ceasing is manifest;
change-while-standing is manifest.

Link to website: http://dicsonstable.blog/
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

When knowing,believing,acting and desiring are one,then dialectics are useful only as Pitstops and abstract models.
Those who are instinctively certain have no need at all to be skeptical about basic matters.
Focus!
dicsoncandra

Post by dicsoncandra »

Zenny wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:49 am When knowing,believing,acting and desiring are one,then dialectics are useful only as Pitstops and abstract models.
Those who are instinctively certain have no need at all to be skeptical about basic matters.
You sound like the type of person who would dismiss mental illness or autism as a myth or a phenomenon of weak 'will'.

How does it feel being forced to admit that your view is biased and dogmatic? Was it pleasant? If not, this feeling that you somehow equated with your 'will' one way or another wouldn't appear to be too independent after all. Only you can tell with honesty but not that I need to hear about it. Perhaps you could look into 'dependent co-arising'? :tongue:
Worry not cause personal responsibility remains with the person regardless, its nature is to be understood :D

Anyway, you are free to live your own subjective truth, that is on you. You must have your reasons (and stories) for doing the things that you do today as seen in the forum, but please remember that you are not entitled to verbally assault another just because you are unhappy with your life. People on the internet are real people too and they don't come to DW to be poorly treated just because another needs to unload their frustration with life.

Personally, I would suggest starting with being honest with yourself regarding your own vulnerabilities and insecurities in solitude and looking out for a friend as a support network. It's a phase in life that is fortunately impermanent, and that you are capable of overcoming your bitterness toward life for as long as you put in the right effort. Speaking from personal experience and I am unashamed to admit it :console:
True understanding results in unfabricated fearlessness :heart:

Good luck on developing a positive mindset and happiness for yourself. It can only be beneficial to yourself and the people around you, especially those in your private life. Hug :hug:

Sayonara! :hello:

With Metta
:anjali:
arising is manifest;
ceasing is manifest;
change-while-standing is manifest.

Link to website: http://dicsonstable.blog/
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

Your post bears no relation to reality.
Dependent co arising is incoherent.
Focus!
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

I get the feeling some people think books and second hand knowledge is a substitute for actually riding a bike.
One has to be strong and fearless enough to trust one's own instincts.
That's why Siddhartha was strong enough to reject the cultural knowledge he was brought up with and follow his OWN eternal instincts.
Focus!
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Q : when asleep where is this self
Zenny

Re:

Post by Zenny »

sunnat wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:09 am Q : when asleep where is this self
In bed,sleeping.
Quite simple really. Why do people love overcomplicating things?
Focus!
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Zenny wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:03 pm That's why Siddhartha was strong enough to reject the cultural knowledge he was brought up with and follow his OWN eternal instincts.
Certainly not, see his rebirth and kamma teachings. Also so called "brahmins" play an important role in his philosophy. His whole teaching is just a derivate of the already pre-existing cultural views.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SteRo

Re:

Post by SteRo »

That's not a very intelligent question in the context of self because everything else isn't present when asleep without dreaming.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

SteRo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:47 pm
Zenny wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:03 pm That's why Siddhartha was strong enough to reject the cultural knowledge he was brought up with and follow his OWN eternal instincts.
Certainly not, see his rebirth and kamma teachings. Also so called "brahmins" play an important role in his philosophy. His whole teaching is just a derivate of the already pre-existing cultural views.

I make a distinction between Siddhartha and the "teachings" wrongfully attributed to him after. I view folk Zen as the closest to Siddharthas teachings.
Focus!
Zenny

Re: Re:

Post by Zenny »

SteRo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:52 pm
That's not a very intelligent question in the context of self because everything else isn't present when asleep without dreaming.
Everything is still present even in dreamless sleep.
Wherever you go there you are. Always.
Focus!
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Zenny wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:53 pm

I make a distinction between Siddhartha and the "teachings" wrongfully attributed to him after. I view folk Zen as the closest to Siddharthas teachings.
Why then stick to the idea of "Siddharthas teachings" at all?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

SteRo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Because he has real teachings. For honesty I credit Siddhartha as a great man and teacher.
Read my signature.
Focus!
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Zenny wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 pm
SteRo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Because he has real teachings. For honesty I credit Siddhartha as a great man and teacher.
Read my signature.
I see. Maybe only psychotherapy can show a way out of that obsession.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.