Confession in Buddhism and the confessions in Communism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is a subject I don't have much knowledge, but I heard that the communist party have a form of self confession.
I believe that the monks also have some thing like that (Pohoya?)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Rambutan

Re: Confession in Buddhism and the confessions in Communism?

Post by Rambutan »

During the cultural revolution in China (1960s) was a practice called ‘criticism and self-criticism’ but this is very different from confessions in Buddhism. Also, confession is Buddhism is different than confessions in Catholicism.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:30 am Confession in Buddhism and the confessions in Communism?
This is a subject I don't have much knowledge, but I heard that the communist party have a form of self confession.
I believe that the monks also have some thing like that (Pohoya?)
Communists usually did it to purge enemies. Later they either had a bullet in the head or spent some years doing hard labour.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Chinese spirituality has an ancient practice called Repentance & Reform. One admits to all karmic vices from past & present and vows to Buddhas or Heaven or Devas etc. to stop doing them.

However the Communist vows to the Communist Party to reform their mind according to the CCP requirements. Hardly a worthy object or project.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

I don't know about the commies. But Hitler sure know how to stir up people inner fire by his emotional speech.

Sometimes listening his speech makes me wonder why German language is so angry.
Deleted
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:49 pm I don't know about the commies. But Hitler sure know how to stir up people inner fire by his emotional speech.

Sometimes listening his speech makes me wonder why German language is so angry.
Any language can be made to sound angry. The German (unfortunately) don't hold the monopoly on defilements.
_/|\_
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Bizarre question sarath. Communism is an authoritarian anti-religious political system and their use of confession was to strengthen the state mostly at the expense of individual rights.