Tasawwuf and Theravada

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
User avatar
Tutareture
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 am

Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Tutareture »

Guys.I am not arguing for Christianity anymore .the doctrine of the trinity as outlined by the councils is incoherent.trinities.org has alot of logical arguments against this.the doctrine of the hypostatic union is impossible.jesus cannot be fully divine and fully man at the same time,as these two natures have opposing attributes .I have converted to Ashari sunni sufi islam.I follow Sufism but with a shafii madhab and with a Ashari creed.the bible is also full of contradictions and false prophecies.

And you are right that mystical experiences don't mean anything as they can be a test from God or be a deception from Satan .and the charismatic movement Wich reports these has all proven false prophets and rich pastors fleecing their congregations with such stories.

Besides in islam we have the miracles of the Friends of Allah like abdalqadir aljilani and their becoming one with him in fanaa.and annihilating the nafs or self to become one with Allah.many sufi saints have great knowledge given to them by Allah of the past,present and future.
Last edited by Tutareture on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a sufi Muslim exploring Buddhism.Just looking for friendly Philosophical discussion.
User avatar
Tutareture
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 am

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Tutareture »

I do still think that One utterly simple and unique God can be established thru kalam logic and the catholics have done a great job with the unconditioned reality argument as created by father spitzer.
I am a sufi Muslim exploring Buddhism.Just looking for friendly Philosophical discussion.
User avatar
Tutareture
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 am

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Tutareture »

Jesus said God the father is the only true God and his God.if he is fully God and also coequal with the father he. Is lying.

Jesus also didn't know the hour

The doctrine of the trinity where all three are fully divine means there are three gods .
I am a sufi Muslim exploring Buddhism.Just looking for friendly Philosophical discussion.
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 8478
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Sam Vara »

Tutareture wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm Guys.I am not arguing for Christianity anymore .
Ah! Excellent! That's really good news on all sorts of levels! :clap: :toast:
the doctrine of the trinity as outlined by the councils is incoherent.trinities.org has alot of logical arguments against this.
Yes, that's so. It's taken you a long time, but I'm glad you realise this. :thumbsup:
the doctrine of the hypostatic union is impossible.jesus cannot be fully divine and fully man at the same time,as these two natures have opposing attributes .
Well, you certainly seem to have done some research, and with good results! :bow:
I have converted to Ashari sunni sufi islam.
Oh.... Oh Dear... :shock:
Besides in islam we have the miracles of the Friends of Allah like abdalqadir aljilani and their becoming one with him in fanaa.and annihilating the nafs or self to become one with Allah.many sufi saints have great knowledge given to them by Allah of the past,present and future.
Oh, well. Never mind... :console:
4GreatHeavenlyKings
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:20 pm

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by 4GreatHeavenlyKings »

Tutareture wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm And you are right that mystical experiences don't mean anything as they can be a test from God or be a deception from Satan .and the charismatic movement Wich reports these has all proven false prophets and rich pastors fleecing their congregations with such stories.

Besides in islam we have the miracles of the Friends of Allah like abdalqadir aljilani and their becoming one with him in fanaa.and annihilating the nafs or self to become one with Allah.many sufi saints have great knowledge given to them by Allah of the past,present and future.
Do you not understand the contradiction here? On one hand, you acknowledge that miracles/mystical experiences do not mean anything (as they could be a test from Satan), but on the other hand you cite miracles and mystical experiences from Sufi mystics as proof that Sufism is true.

The Quran also has contradictions. And I am not talking about such heady matters as the nature/perfection/intention of an uncreated creator god. Rather, I talk about basic mathematical errors: see, https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/comme ... heritance/.

The Kalam argument is absurd. Its basic premise is that everything that begins to exist has a cause, but then it fails to establish the following two things:

1. That the universe (or the energies that became the universe) began to exist; and

2. That the god who created the universe also did not begin to exist.
User avatar
Tutareture
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 am

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Tutareture »

4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:56 am
Tutareture wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm And you are right that mystical experiences don't mean anything as they can be a test from God or be a deception from Satan .and the charismatic movement Wich reports these has all proven false prophets and rich pastors fleecing their congregations with such stories.

Besides in islam we have the miracles of the Friends of Allah like abdalqadir aljilani and their becoming one with him in fanaa.and annihilating the nafs or self to become one with Allah.many sufi saints have great knowledge given to them by Allah of the past,present and future.
Do you not understand the contradiction here? On one hand, you acknowledge that miracles/mystical experiences do not mean anything (as they could be a test from Satan), but on the other hand you cite miracles and mystical experiences from Sufi mystics as proof that Sufism is true.

The Quran also has contradictions. And I am not talking about such heady matters as the nature/perfection/intention of an uncreated creator god. Rather, I talk about basic mathematical errors: see, https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/comme ... heritance/.

The Kalam argument is absurd. Its basic premise is that everything that begins to exist has a cause, but then it fails to establish the following two things:

1. That the universe (or the energies that became the universe) began to exist; and

2. That the god who created the universe also did not begin to exist.
I did not Intend to say Sufism is true because of mystical experiences,I meant to express the fact that if mystical experiences make Christianity true,we have those in islam

And the quran is error free and only those that don't read the whole Quran think it has error
http://quranscientificerror.blogspot.co ... y.html?m=1

There are no errors in the quran.as a christian I used to cite these errors until I found out they were not errors by Allah's guidance.
I am a sufi Muslim exploring Buddhism.Just looking for friendly Philosophical discussion.
User avatar
Tutareture
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 am

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Tutareture »

4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:56 am
Tutareture wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm And you are right that mystical experiences don't mean anything as they can be a test from God or be a deception from Satan .and the charismatic movement Wich reports these has all proven false prophets and rich pastors fleecing their congregations with such stories.

Besides in islam we have the miracles of the Friends of Allah like abdalqadir aljilani and their becoming one with him in fanaa.and annihilating the nafs or self to become one with Allah.many sufi saints have great knowledge given to them by Allah of the past,present and future.
Do you not understand the contradiction here? On one hand, you acknowledge that miracles/mystical experiences do not mean anything (as they could be a test from Satan), but on the other hand you cite miracles and mystical experiences from Sufi mystics as proof that Sufism is true.

The Quran also has contradictions. And I am not talking about such heady matters as the nature/perfection/intention of an uncreated creator god. Rather, I talk about basic mathematical errors: see, https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/comme ... heritance/.

The Kalam argument is absurd. Its basic premise is that everything that begins to exist has a cause, but then it fails to establish the following two things:

1. That the universe (or the energies that became the universe) began to exist; and

2. That the god who created the universe also did not begin to exist.
I am not talking about the kalam argument .I am talking about Ashari logic known as kalam to get a accurate picture of how God is.for example buddhists state Allah is imperfect because he has emotions,when we believe he doesn't have any emotions.
I am a sufi Muslim exploring Buddhism.Just looking for friendly Philosophical discussion.
User avatar
Tutareture
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 am

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Tutareture »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 pm
Tutareture wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm Guys.I am not arguing for Christianity anymore .
Ah! Excellent! That's really good news on all sorts of levels! :clap: :toast:
the doctrine of the trinity as outlined by the councils is incoherent.trinities.org has alot of logical arguments against this.
Yes, that's so. It's taken you a long time, but I'm glad you realise this. :thumbsup:
the doctrine of the hypostatic union is impossible.jesus cannot be fully divine and fully man at the same time,as these two natures have opposing attributes .
Well, you certainly seem to have done some research, and with good results! :bow:
I have converted to Ashari sunni sufi islam.
Oh.... Oh Dear... :shock:
Besides in islam we have the miracles of the Friends of Allah like abdalqadir aljilani and their becoming one with him in fanaa.and annihilating the nafs or self to become one with Allah.many sufi saints have great knowledge given to them by Allah of the past,present and future.
Oh, well. Never mind... :console:
Why is it bad that I converted to islam?sufi islam is nonviolent.even most salafis are nonviolent madkhalis.but Salafis are infidels because they ascribe a body to Allah .
I am a sufi Muslim exploring Buddhism.Just looking for friendly Philosophical discussion.
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 8478
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Sam Vara »

Tutareture wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:17 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 pm
Tutareture wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm Guys.I am not arguing for Christianity anymore .
Ah! Excellent! That's really good news on all sorts of levels! :clap: :toast:
the doctrine of the trinity as outlined by the councils is incoherent.trinities.org has alot of logical arguments against this.
Yes, that's so. It's taken you a long time, but I'm glad you realise this. :thumbsup:
the doctrine of the hypostatic union is impossible.jesus cannot be fully divine and fully man at the same time,as these two natures have opposing attributes .
Well, you certainly seem to have done some research, and with good results! :bow:
I have converted to Ashari sunni sufi islam.
Oh.... Oh Dear... :shock:
Besides in islam we have the miracles of the Friends of Allah like abdalqadir aljilani and their becoming one with him in fanaa.and annihilating the nafs or self to become one with Allah.many sufi saints have great knowledge given to them by Allah of the past,present and future.
Oh, well. Never mind... :console:
Why is it bad that I converted to islam?sufi islam is nonviolent.even most salafis are nonviolent madkhalis.but Salafis are infidels because they ascribe a body to Allah .
Nothing to do with violence, Tutareture. Why do you assume that?

It's not bad that you converted. I just thought that you might stop blasting away on DW with the heavy calibre theology gun, but it appears that you have merely reloaded with different ammunition.
Dan74
Posts: 3954
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Dan74 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:39 pm
Tutareture wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:17 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 pm

Ah! Excellent! That's really good news on all sorts of levels! :clap: :toast:



Yes, that's so. It's taken you a long time, but I'm glad you realise this. :thumbsup:



Well, you certainly seem to have done some research, and with good results! :bow:



Oh.... Oh Dear... :shock:



Oh, well. Never mind... :console:
Why is it bad that I converted to islam?sufi islam is nonviolent.even most salafis are nonviolent madkhalis.but Salafis are infidels because they ascribe a body to Allah .
Nothing to do with violence, Tutareture. Why do you assume that?

It's not bad that you converted. I just thought that you might stop blasting away on DW with the heavy calibre theology gun, but it appears that you have merely reloaded with different ammunition.
:goodpost:

I would just wish that you make a good sufi. Plenty of wisdom there. That takes faith and practice. Not googling and doubting.

All the Best!!!
_/|\_
User avatar
Tutareture
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 am

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Tutareture »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:39 pm
Tutareture wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:17 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 pm

Ah! Excellent! That's really good news on all sorts of levels! :clap: :toast:



Yes, that's so. It's taken you a long time, but I'm glad you realise this. :thumbsup:



Well, you certainly seem to have done some research, and with good results! :bow:



Oh.... Oh Dear... :shock:



Oh, well. Never mind... :console:
Why is it bad that I converted to islam?sufi islam is nonviolent.even most salafis are nonviolent madkhalis.but Salafis are infidels because they ascribe a body to Allah .
Nothing to do with violence, Tutareture. Why do you assume that?

It's not bad that you converted. I just thought that you might stop blasting away on DW with the heavy calibre theology gun, but it appears that you have merely reloaded with different ammunition.
what are you talking about?I didn't argue against buddhism or for islam.
I am a sufi Muslim exploring Buddhism.Just looking for friendly Philosophical discussion.
Agnikan
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 pm

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Agnikan »

Tutareture wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:51 pm when I converted to christianity from hinduism,the hindu gods started attacking me in sleep paralysis but jesus name always defeats them.
When you converted from Christianity to Tasawwuf, did you have any negative experiences?
4GreatHeavenlyKings
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:20 pm

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by 4GreatHeavenlyKings »

Tutareture wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:07 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:39 pm
Tutareture wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:17 pm
Why is it bad that I converted to islam?sufi islam is nonviolent.even most salafis are nonviolent madkhalis.but Salafis are infidels because they ascribe a body to Allah .
Nothing to do with violence, Tutareture. Why do you assume that?

It's not bad that you converted. I just thought that you might stop blasting away on DW with the heavy calibre theology gun, but it appears that you have merely reloaded with different ammunition.
what are you talking about?I didn't argue against buddhism or for islam.
Why do you say that you were not arguing against Buddhism, when your arguments repeatedly criticized dependent origination as nonsense, argued that uncreated creator gods are necessary to explain the universe, and dismissed my refutations of your arguments as made up by me in order to save Buddhism?
User avatar
Dhammanando
Posts: 6370
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Location: Mae Wang Huai Rin, Li District, Lamphun

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by Dhammanando »

Posts split from the topic "Jesus is the only way?"
During vassa this year I shall be offline until the end of October.

Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.


“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 14228
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Tasawwuf and Theravada

Post by DNS »

Tutareture wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:33 pm The doctrine of the trinity where all three are fully divine means there are three gods .
It's somewhat common in Greek Mythology, long before Christianity. The New Testament was written in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic. Congratulations on leaving Christianity. Next up in your spiritual progression:

Sufi ---> Kabbalah ---> Hinduism ----> Buddhism

:tongue:
Locked