What exactly the meaning of Nirodha in Buddhism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

How that differs from the Nirodha in Hinduism?

What exactly is cessation mean?
Has the living Buddha accomplished the cessation of consciousness?
For instance, when living Arahant accomplishes Nirodha Samaptthi, there is no consciousness present.
If we say that the cessation of Name-and-from that means Name-and-form is mental, not physical?

Some details about Nirodha in HInduism.

https://tylandrum.com/the-meaning-of-nirodha/
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman

Re: What exactly the meaning of Nirodha in Buddhism?

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:14 am What exactly the meaning of Nirodha in Buddhism?
How that differs from the Nirodha in Hinduism?

What exactly is cessation mean?
Has the living Buddha accomplished the cessation of consciousness?
For instance, when living Arahant accomplishes Nirodha Samaptthi, there is no consciousness present.
If we say that the cessation of Name-and-from that means Name-and-form is mental, not physical?

Some details about Nirodha in HInduism.

https://tylandrum.com/the-meaning-of-nirodha/
I think nirodha means no further arising, so effectively it means cessation.
What this means for DO in reverse mode is a matter of debate. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Nirodha Sacca
"This is peace, this is exquisite — the stilling of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving, dispassion, cessation, Unbinding."

— MN 64
I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is suffering’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the origin of suffering’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the cessation of suffering’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’ I directly knew as it actually is: ‘These are the taints’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the origin of the taints’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the cessation of the taints’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of the taints.’

MN 4
When this is, that is.
From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.
"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.
"I tell you, friend, that it is not possible by traveling to know or see or reach a far end of the cosmos where one does not take birth, age, die, pass away, or reappear. But at the same time, I tell you that there is no making an end of suffering & stress without reaching the end of the cosmos. Yet it is just within this fathom-long body, with its perception & intellect, that I declare that there is the cosmos, the origination of the cosmos, the cessation of the cosmos, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the cosmos."
"Now what, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with no residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant... completely released through final knowledge. For him, here in this very life, all that is experienced, not being delighted in, will be extinguished. That, bhikkhus, is called the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

These two Nibbana-elements were made known
By the Seeing One, stable and unattached:
One is the element seen here and now
With residue, but with the cord of being destroyed;
The other, having no residue for the future,
Is that wherein all modes of being utterly cease.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 am
That is my exact question.
I can understand cessation of ignorance and Sankhara and Vinnana
But what is the cessation of Namra-rupa?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

pegembara wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:19 am Nirodha Sacca
"This is peace, this is exquisite — the stilling of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving, dispassion, cessation, Unbinding."

— MN 64
I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is suffering’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the origin of suffering’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the cessation of suffering’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’ I directly knew as it actually is: ‘These are the taints’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the origin of the taints’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the cessation of the taints’; I directly knew as it actually is: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of the taints.’

MN 4
When this is, that is.
From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.
"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.
"I tell you, friend, that it is not possible by traveling to know or see or reach a far end of the cosmos where one does not take birth, age, die, pass away, or reappear. But at the same time, I tell you that there is no making an end of suffering & stress without reaching the end of the cosmos. Yet it is just within this fathom-long body, with its perception & intellect, that I declare that there is the cosmos, the origination of the cosmos, the cessation of the cosmos, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the cosmos."
"Now what, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with no residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant... completely released through final knowledge. For him, here in this very life, all that is experienced, not being delighted in, will be extinguished. That, bhikkhus, is called the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

These two Nibbana-elements were made known
By the Seeing One, stable and unattached:
One is the element seen here and now
With residue, but with the cord of being destroyed;
The other, having no residue for the future,
Is that wherein all modes of being utterly cease.
Hi Pegembra
Thanks.
But I know all of these. :D
But they don't mean anything to me.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:21 am That is my exact question.
Cessation is cessation of ignorance polluting Sankhara, Vinnana & Nama-Rupa.

Btw, how many times now have you started this same topic? :shrug: :roll:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:21 am
Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 am
That is my exact question.
I dont understand what cessation of vinnana (sense-conscious) means, since it sounds like there would be no sights, sounds, sensations, etc. Some say it's the cessation of duality or something, but I don't really understand that either.

Presumably cessation of nama-rupa would mean cessation of all the stuff listed under that designation in SN12.2. But again I don't understand this, because it sounds like the cessation of all experience.

The explanations you'll get will depend on which DO interpretation people subscribe to. Caveat emptor. :tongue:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:26 am

Btw, how many times now have you started this same topic? :shrug: :roll:
So tell me what your understanding of the cessation of Nama-Rupa.
Tell me from your own word the way you have realized it.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

That isn't what the DO suttas describe though. They describe a progressive cessation of all the nidanas, not just the cessation of ignorance.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I dont understand what cessation of vinnana (sense-conscious) means, since it sounds like there would be no sights, sounds, sensations, etc. Some say it's the cessation of duality or something, but I don't really understand that either.
Vinnana here means the Patisandhi Vinnana or rebirth making consciousness.
When you are at this level what only you have is Kiriya Citta or the thoughts and actions not making another birth. (neutral thoughts)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 am
That isn't what the DO suttas describe though. They describe a progressive cessation of all the nidanas, not just the cessation of ignorance.
Good point.
Perhaps what is happening here is like you cut off the electricity from 10 electric globs which are attached to one circuit line.
They all appear to go off at once perhaps electric engineers may say they went off one after another.
:shrug:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 am
This sutta might be helpful: SN 22.05
And what is the ending of form, feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness?

It’s when a mendicant doesn’t approve, welcome, or keep clinging.

What don’t they approve, welcome, or keep clinging to? They don’t approve, welcome, or keep clinging to form. As a result, relishing of form ceases. When that relishing ceases, grasping ceases. When grasping ceases, continued existence ceases. … That is how this entire mass of suffering ceases.

pts-vp-pli3.15They don’t approve, welcome, or keep clinging to feeling … perception … choices … consciousness. As a result, relishing of consciousness ceases. When that relishing ceases, grasping ceases. … That is how this entire mass of suffering ceases.

This is the ending of form, feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

This little passage from the late great philosopher of science Thomas Kuhn might be of tangential interest here. And elsewhere, as the advice he gave to his students is of a general nature rather than specifically addressing this topic or even religious texts.
Briefly stated, those lessons are two. First, there are many ways to read a text, and the ones most accessible to a modern are often inappropriate when applied to the past. Second, that plasticity of texts does not place all ways of reading on a par, for some of them (ultimately, one hopes, only one) possess a plausibility and coherence absent from others. Trying to transmit such lessons to students, I offer them a maxim: When reading the works of an important thinker, look first for the apparent absurdities in the text and ask yourself how a sensible person could have written them. When you find an answer, I continue, when those passages make sense, then you may find that more central passages, ones you previously thought you understood, have changed their meaning.
From The Essential Tension.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It’s when a mendicant doesn’t approve, welcome, or keep clinging.
To me, this sounds like cessation of Upadana. (8th limb of Dependent Origination)
We have to work back like how you end Upadana. Ending Thanha end Upadana and so on up to ending of ignorance.
It does not matter where you start it will go to ending ignorance.
Perhaps wisdom is another word for NIrodha?
asahi

Post by asahi »

If you say ending will stop lastly at ignorance , then where do you starts from in the beginning of your practice ? The arya path should have a point where you enter the path to announce your sotapannaship dividing path and fruit .
No bashing No gossiping