Fatwa issued against 'HAHA' Emoji?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Is using emojis violate right speech or appropriate behavior in Buddhism.
How about monks using them on social media?
I am using a lot of emojis in my posts but I was very uncomfortable at the beginning.
For instance when I was young putting your tongue out considered vulgar.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Fatwa issued against 'HAHA' Emoji?

Post by Sam Vara »

The Islamic cleric featured actually makes quite a good point, despite the intention to ridicule him. He says that if the intention in using the "HAHA Emoji" is to laugh along with the person you are communicating with, then it is OK. But he warns against using it to ridicule someone. Given that a fatwa is merely, as the presenter says, an opinion, this seems reasonable and in accordance with Buddhist standards of communication.

The use of the smilies here on DW is interesting. Some members use them in a kind way, for example using laughing smilies to show that they appreciate a joke that has been made. Sometimes they are used in a dismissive or offensive way, in an obvious attempt to humiliate someone in a disagreement. It's obvious from the context, but the use of an image rather than words allows people to plausibly deny the imputed intention and say they were misunderstood.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

A fatwah is not just an opinion.

It is a 'legal' opinion or ruling... it carries far more weight than the likes of your or my opinion.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

BrokenBones wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:11 am A fatwah is not just an opinion.

It is a 'legal' opinion or ruling... it carries far more weight than the likes of your or my opinion.
Are you saying it is legally binding?
Is that order for all Muslims?
A fatwā (/ˈfætwɑː/, also US: /ˈfɑːtwɑː/; Arabic: فتوىٰ‎; plural fatāwā فتاوىٰ) is a nonbinding legal opinion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwa
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:18 am
BrokenBones wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:11 am A fatwah is not just an opinion.

Are you saying it is legally binding?
Is that order for all Muslims?
A fatwā (/ˈfætwɑː/, also US: /ˈfɑːtwɑː/; Arabic: فتوىٰ‎; plural fatāwā فتاوىٰ) is a nonbinding legal opinion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwa
I think you'll find I said it was a 'legal opinion'... obviously more weighty than an everyday opinion.

Some fatwa's are binding some are not. It depends on the person making it and the fervency of his supporters... definitely 'his'.

Either way... what a storm in a teacup... what next? Banning cartoons 😉
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Among Sunni Muslims, there is no strict clerical hierarchy hence individual fatwas are non-binding. However, it would be a misrepresentation to equate it with random opinions, as those who follow it would use it as a canonical reference to justify certain actions. This is why, civil governments in muslim countries might welcome some fatwas to further legitimize unpopular decisions. During the first gulf war for instance, the Saudi government asked clerics to issue fatwas that make their decision to allow foreign forces religiously permitted. They still use it every now and then. They used it during COVID.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.