Regarding morality among mahayana buddhists - response to StrivingforMonkhood

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
48vows

Regarding morality among mahayana buddhists - response to StrivingforMonkhood

Post by 48vows »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:27 am Theravadins talk more about morality; hence, my presence on here. My Vajrayana tendencies only go so far. Mahayana Buddhists need to have more stress put on MORALITY.
This comment bothers me.

As I said before -
Please remember that it is a small group of people who run that site.
Please don't let that reflect on mahayana buddhist as a whole.
I know that these sites are very diverse, but I think that a good number of people of these sites are westerners.

In real life, I only really know (as in talk to pretty regualry) 4 western buddhists. (although I have met and spent time with some others before)
So my impression of western buddhists largley comes from these sites and so my general take away is that westerners interested in therevada are, as a whole, a much more together people than those westerners interested in mahayana.

But at the same time, I have interected on that site with some westerners who seem very well-adjusted and genuine, so I liek to think that that is actually alot of westerners interested in mahayana, but they just don't have an online platform, because of the small group that rules the other wheel with an iron fist keep them out.

In short, I think we should be careful with statments like "Mahayana Buddhists need to have more stress put on MORALITY" when we are really just talking about the ten or so people on that site.

I'll also say that I grew up mahayana, it it wasn't until I was an adult that I really started to learn about other buddhist traditions and the pali canon and agamas. So while I don't have much to contribute on this site, I think that, if this site is any reflection, therevada among english speakers is doing ok.
(of course it could be just like the other wheel but oppisite, with a small group controlling the whole site and making it look like everybody is respectfull and decent)

anyways, I don't know you or your experiance in real life, but I hope that you opinion of mahayana buddhists is fair. thats all
48vows

Re: Regarding morality among mahayana buddhists - response to StrivingforMonkhood

Post by 48vows »

note to mods- I had typed this as the other thread was being locked.
Totally understand if you want to lock or delete this one too. and i think you understand why since I had typed it, I wanted to post it.
retrofuturist

Re: Regarding morality among mahayana buddhists - response to StrivingforMonkhood

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings 48vows,
48vows wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:06 am note to mods- I had typed this as the other thread was being locked.
Totally understand if you want to lock or delete this one too. and i think you understand why since I had typed it, I wanted to post it.
That's fine... just keep it focused on comparing the place of morality across Theravada and Mahayana (without mentioning individuals and websites they might frequent) and you should be fine.

Thanks for your understanding.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

48vows wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:05 am
StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:27 am Theravadins talk more about morality; hence, my presence on here. My Vajrayana tendencies only go so far. Mahayana Buddhists need to have more stress put on MORALITY.
This comment bothers me.

As I said before -
Please remember that it is a small group of people who run that site.
Please don't let that reflect on mahayana buddhist as a whole.
I know that these sites are very diverse, but I think that a good number of people of these sites are westerners.

In real life, I only really know (as in talk to pretty regualry) 4 western buddhists. (although I have met and spent time with some others before)
So my impression of western buddhists largley comes from these sites and so my general take away is that westerners interested in therevada are, as a whole, a much more together people than those westerners interested in mahayana.

But at the same time, I have interected on that site with some westerners who seem very well-adjusted and genuine, so I liek to think that that is actually alot of westerners interested in mahayana, but they just don't have an online platform, because of the small group that rules the other wheel with an iron fist keep them out.

In short, I think we should be careful with statments like "Mahayana Buddhists need to have more stress put on MORALITY" when we are really just talking about the ten or so people on that site.

I'll also say that I grew up mahayana, it it wasn't until I was an adult that I really started to learn about other buddhist traditions and the pali canon and agamas. So while I don't have much to contribute on this site, I think that, if this site is any reflection, therevada among english speakers is doing ok.
(of course it could be just like the other wheel but oppisite, with a small group controlling the whole site and making it look like everybody is respectfull and decent)

anyways, I don't know you or your experiance in real life, but I hope that you opinion of mahayana buddhists is fair. thats all

Dear friend,

I consider myself a Vajrayana (Mahayana) Buddhist to some degree, so, obviously, I see some real truth and beauty in it. Of course, there are highly moral Mahayana Buddhists, both lay and monks.

I know a little about a Zen Community where I live (attended once), and I don't find that morality is overly stressed. It's just my experience

I am guilty of Wrong Speech. I am sorry :namaste: I mispoke, but I knew I would. Better to just stay quiet. It's hard to criticize without being judgmental. Please forgive me! All schools of Buddhism have something to share and give the world. All lead to enlightenment if practiced correctly.

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness. :anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha