Mara means "Joy" in Arabic, and the "Truth of God" in Egyptian. Bizarre!

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
JamesTheGiant

Mara means "Joy" in Arabic, and the "Truth of God" in Egyptian. Bizarre!

Post by JamesTheGiant »

How bizarre that Mara, the Lord Of Lies, the King Of Evil, means Joy, Fun, Cheerful in Arabic (مرح).
And in ancient Egypt it meant "The truth of God Ra" Ma for Truth ('Ma-at') and Ra the God of the Sun.
What a bizarre reversal of the evil one's name. It's so amazing to me that I suspect some deep conspiracy, even though I don't usually believe such things.
I just thought this is worth sharing because it's so weird
Dan74

Re: Mara means "Joy" in Arabic, and the "Truth of God" in Egyptian. Bizarre!

Post by Dan74 »

Coincidences always appear weird out of context.

If we recall that there have been close to 20000 different languages, any simple two syllable word is bound to have been used in a few of them.
_/|\_
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

It is Marah that means joy in Arabic, not Mara.

Marah = مرح

Mara = مارا

Talking about coincidences, two years ago, i knew a woman named Farah (فرح) which also means happiness or joy. When things started to get a bit serious between us, i had my apartment filled with moths indicating something bad/rotten going on. The short-lived romantic encounter ended soon after that. They might look harmless and cute, but can be quite deadly.

So, i differentiate between coincidences and objective reality in the sense that from a social perspective, holding each other responsible for what could be the product of our imagination and what could not be causally established is stupid, and yet, ignoring coincidences and intuitions to maintain a self image of rationality is inauthentic in my opinion. It is the nature of society to dismiss our individual intuitions where rationality is defined through maintaining a certain social order, beliefs and behavior.

The other day, i was listening to a video by Ven. Sona talking about Mara, and it was mentioned that Mara is not evil in the sense that his/her highest objective is not to cause misery and harm, but this is his/her nature. Mara feels sad to lose a customer, and for serious practitioners, the amount of seduction might become strange, such as having an object of old desire right in front of your door step.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Mara also means "penis" in Japanese, in Old Norse is means "a horse," in Finnish it means a demon that causes bad dreams (cognate with "mare" in "nightmare"), in Gamilaraay it means "hand" or "finger," in Bahasa Indonesia it means "danger" or just "to go," in Irish it means "the sea," in Maltese it means "a woman," in Rapa Nui it means a "lump" or "bruise," in Swahili it means "time," in Welsh it means "bread," and in the Yámana language it means "to hear."

It's a simple word, as others have pointed out, that we would expect to be duplicated in many languages without those words being deeply related outside of the languages.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:24 amin ancient Egypt it meant "The truth of God Ra" Ma for Truth ('Ma-at') and Ra the God of the Sun
Can you source this? I'm an amateur Egyptologist (very amateur) and this is very interesting just looking at the linguistics of it alone.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
form

Post by form »

There are many people named as Mara in Facebook.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

form wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:33 am There are many people named as Mara in Facebook.
Haha
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:24 am How bizarre that Mara, the Lord Of Lies, the King Of Evil, means Joy, Fun, Cheerful in Arabic (مرح).
And in ancient Egypt it meant "The truth of God Ra" Ma for Truth ('Ma-at') and Ra the God of the Sun.
What a bizarre reversal of the evil one's name. It's so amazing to me that I suspect some deep conspiracy, even though I don't usually believe such things.
I just thought this is worth sharing because it's so weird
Proto-Dravdian(Elamite) speakers originated in the Middle East, so there's definitely some connection with ancient Semites...
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
form

Post by form »

Instead of the name, it may be better to compare different archetype in different cultures.
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

same.
Can't even talk about Mara just cause how crazy and conspiracy based it sounds..

also LIVE spelled backwards is EVIL.. :thinking:

we live in the most reality mind-bending show ever made.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Thats why they have wrong view
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...