Buddhist monk left body in front of camera and monks | Sadhguru explains the process of Mahasamadhi

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Buddhist monk left body in front of camera and monks | Sadhguru explains the process of Mahasamadhi

Post by SarathW »

I watch too many Youtube videos so I beleive nothing.
Perhaps this could be a film clip.
But?
:shrug:

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Assaji

Re: Buddhist monk left body in front of camera and monks | Sadhguru explains the process of Mahasamadhi

Post by Assaji »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 am Buddhist monk left body in front of camera and monks | Sadhguru explains the process of Mahasamadhi

I watch too many Youtube videos so I beleive nothing. But?
:shrug:
In another video we see him being gently rocked and woken up:

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying among the Kajjangalas in the Bamboo Grove. Then the young brahman Uttara, a student of Parasiri[1] went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, exchanged friendly greetings & courtesies. After this exchange of courteous greetings he sat to one side.

As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him: "Uttara, does the brahman Parasiri teach his followers the development of the faculties?"

"Yes, master Gotama, he does."

"And how does he teach his followers the development of the faculties?"

"There is the case where one does not see forms with the eye, or hear sounds with the ear [in a trance of non-perception]. That's how the brahman Parasiri teaches his followers the development of the faculties."

"That being the case, Uttara, then a blind person will have developed faculties, and a deaf person will have developed faculties, according to the words of the brahman Parasiri. For a blind person does not see forms with the eye, and a deaf person does not hear sounds with the ear."
https://accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn ... .than.html
SarathW

Re: Buddhist monk left body in front of camera and monks | Sadhguru explains the process of Mahasamadhi

Post by SarathW »

Anyway, what are they trying to prove with this video?
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:45 am Anyway, what are they trying to prove with this video?
I found the original video:

What the video uploaders, damsiluTV, say about it?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

There is no much information at all. These monks do not seem to be Sri Lankan monks.
Perhaps it is some sort of fake video.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

He laid down.
Then did some meditation thing which made him unresponsive and looked asleep,
Then they put him in a coffin,
(The video cuts here dishonestly and doesn't show the next part)
Then they took him out of the coffin,
Then they shook him until he woke up, and he seemed ok, he smiled.

This is not what Sadhguru was talking about. Sadhguru was talking about dying deliberately and not coming back.
The monk in the video may have just gone unconscious (or dead? Who can say?), but he came back within minutesb and looked fine.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Why they are making noise? I think monestry should be pin drop silence
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:04 pm There is no much information at all. These monks do not seem to be Sri Lankan monks.
Thai video description states that these monks are Burmese:

Mr Albatross

Post by Mr Albatross »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 am Why they are making noise?
Because it's an exorcism. The person troubled by pishachis, yakshis or whatever plays dead to trick them into leaving him. To make it more realistic, monks put him into a coffin and then perform a full funeral service.

Why noisy? Because Myanmar funerals are noisy. If you make it a quiet funeral the pishacha will get suspicious and might figure out that you're just trying to dupe him.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Mr Albatross wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:26 am
confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 am Why they are making noise?
Because it's an exorcism. The person troubled by pishachis, yakshis or whatever plays dead to trick them into leaving him. To make it more realistic, monks put him into a coffin and then perform a full funeral service.

Why noisy? Because Myanmar funerals are noisy. If you make it a quiet funeral the pishacha will get suspicious and might figure out that you're just trying to dupe him.
I cant understand the video.. is he jhana attainer?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Mr Albatross

Post by Mr Albatross »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm I cant understand the video.. is he jhana attainer?
Though I know the ritual, which is fairly common in Southeast Asia, I don't know anything about the monk in question. Maybe he has some accomplishment in samadhi or maybe he's just taken a soporific drug in order to appear dead. Both possibilities would explain the need for the monks to rouse him.