African wisdom?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dassana

Re: African wisdom?

Post by Dassana »

Bundokji wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:35 pm
Dassana wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:10 pm I believe there is plenty to learn from these traditions about an understanding of spiritual cosmology and harmonizing with the invisible forces around us, and while some of the practices can bring us closer to spiritual awareness and harmony, there are also distinct differences that are not in accordance with the Dhamma. The use of blood, which I do understand and do believe "works", it's at a kammic cost that is not understood within the tradition.
Could you elaborate further please? The sacrifice of blood works for what?
Again, there is absolutely no confusion when it comes to the fact that blood-sacrifices are completely incorrect in the teachings. You can see this in numerous suttas, for example: https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN3_9.html

I want to make this clear because I follow the first precept and I don't condone it myself.

What I meant by it "works", in my understanding and the belief of millions of indigenous practitioners around the world, taking the life of an animal gives a transference of energy to invisible forces that can allow them to grant blessings in a way that is undeniably synchronistic. For example in myself, an Ifa divination was done around my lack of being able to find work, a reason was found for the problem, a ritual and sacrifice was prescribed for the issue, and the next day after the ritual was complete, someone who I hadn't spoken to in over a year reached out out of the blue asking if I was still looking for work. I had an interview and job offer days later. There are other examples I can list like this which in a mundane world would sound completely untrue.

There's a reason that we still see Brahmins and Bon practitioners practicing sacrifice in India and Nepal even after exposure to Buddhism. It is still practiced in Judaism, Islam, and indigenous cultures around the world. I am not saying it is right, I just meant that there is a reason behind the action. Efficacy towards the a certain desired outcome is a different thing than the kammic repercussions that come alongside with the action. The act of sacrifice and the use of blood facilitates outcomes in the world. That's what I meant by it works. I don't believe it works for the cessation of dukkha and I believe it's actually directly counterproductive to true liberation.
Dassana

Post by Dassana »

Mr. Seek wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:52 am Just wanted to note that the intent behind the creation of this topic was purely positive, i.e. not negative. I'm sure that there are a lot of things that Buddhists, and likewise Indian spiritual practitioners, can learn from the African mysteries. Not here to disparage their wisdom (personally), but more like, see if we can connect the dots between their teachings and India's.

:anjali:
There's a lot of really special things you can find, especially between Vodu and Hinduism which came to Benin in the 1960s and was readily absorbed into the Vodu Pantheons. If you go to an Authentic Priestess Temple in Togo or Benin, you will see many paintings and pictures of Hindu deities.

There's also a really interesting overlap between these temples and Mahayana, as I understand it, as Mahayana largely came about from the teachings that were held by the Nagas. Core and fundamental to Vodu Temples and the practice of healing is Mami Dan (who are the Nagas) and most of the most beneficial aspects of Vodu are centered around them. Practitioners live their lives in commitment to that tending and are blessed with long lives, abundance, health, etc. You can look up pictures of Epe Ekpe festival in Togo for an example of a festival of traditional Mami Dan Priestesses. It's really something unbelievable. The relationship that they have with the devas is something very much alive. There is a very special group in Togo called the Nygblin and they are a group of priestesses who most closely resemble something akin to Bhikkunis.

For me personally, my relationship with devas I met and connected to in Africa that helped bring me to the Dhamma. I believe that the deities themselves wish to evolve and ascend too. They are bound by Samsara, just like us. There are many traditional Ifa practitioners who would agree with me, and as I have seen, the suttas agree with this too. Many Ifa taboos are directly aligned with tenants of the Dhamma. It's just hard or impossible to bridge the gap between the Dhamma and Ifa practice without directly going against the teachings of one or the other.
Dassana

Post by Dassana »

Zenny wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:00 pm
cappuccino wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:46 pm
Zenny wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:41 pm Non organised religions are far better.
will never lead to Nirvana

which you do not seem to care for

because you do not realize its value
When you get to nirvana give me a call.
Your right,I don't care about the fear instilled by organised religions.
You may want to look into Hiri and Ottappa: http://www.suttas.com/hiri-and-ottappa.html which is not fear imposed by organized religions but rather the fear of wrongdoing and the shame of wrongdoing that the Buddha highly praised. Of course, this is different than what I think you may be speaking to.
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

Dassana wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:54 pm
Zenny wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:00 pm
cappuccino wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:46 pm

will never lead to Nirvana

which you do not seem to care for

because you do not realize its value
When you get to nirvana give me a call.
Your right,I don't care about the fear instilled by organised religions.
You may want to look into Hiri and Ottappa: http://www.suttas.com/hiri-and-ottappa.html which is not fear imposed by organized religions but rather the fear of wrongdoing and the shame of wrongdoing that the Buddha highly praised. Of course, this is different than what I think you may be speaking to.
Rather than fear of wrongdoing,how about positive desire for good things?
All organised religions get it backwards,with negativity first,assuming a person is a sinner and needs redeeming,rather than saying a person is great and can get even better.
Non buddhist Zen Practitioner.
Focus!
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

I always wanted to learn African voodoo white or light magic if there is such a thing. But I live in the states so I doubt I can find a place to learn African magic. Maybe online maybe???
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Topic closed at OP request.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."