Escaping Jehovah's Witnesses: Inside the dangerous world of a brutal religion |

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Escaping Jehovah's Witnesses: Inside the dangerous world of a brutal religion |

Post by SarathW »

Escaping Jehovah's Witnesses: Inside the dangerous world of a brutal religion.

I never thought that JW has the same problem as the catholic church.
Do we have Buddhist organisations run in this fashion?
JW is now spreading in Sri Lanka. They offer food to people in return for accepting their faith.
It appears the regular attendees are paid a wage.
In my opinion, Buddhists should not support any Buddhist organisation run with the top-down approach.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Akashad

Re: Escaping Jehovah's Witnesses: Inside the dangerous world of a brutal religion |

Post by Akashad »

I stumbled on gnostic christian texts and they described Yahweh or Jehovah as a Killer 🥴

[media] [/media]
confusedlayman

Re: Escaping Jehovah's Witnesses: Inside the dangerous world of a brutal religion |

Post by confusedlayman »

no one cares if even bible is true... without jhana how can someone proclaim heavenly existence?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I met two JW young preachers once, they are on bicycles, well dressed, black ties, probably Texas.

They asked me whether if I know Jesus... I said I know him, I read the Bible too, love the book of Proverbs, the book of John and the book of Revelation. But then, I warned them there are fierce Muslims in the neighborhood, if they want to get out in one piece, better don't go from house to house. Then I just say to them "I'm rushing to work now, got to go" and a lot of "Jesus bless you".

But I wasn't lying, I kept Holy Bible (NIV) in my book collection that time, was thinking to get a KJV hardcover too.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

I love their bibles too its very illustrative.. they knocked on door when i was little and my parents let them in and they kept coming every week and it felt really wholesome.A lot of stuff about armageddon tho.
josaphatbarlaam

Post by josaphatbarlaam »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:58 pm no one cares if even bible is true... without jhana how can someone proclaim heavenly existence?
jw's don't believe in going to heaven; they believe in literal kingdom of God coming to earth in future and living forever on earth. its not like mainstream Christianity.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

josaphatbarlaam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:33 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:58 pm no one cares if even bible is true... without jhana how can someone proclaim heavenly existence?
jw's don't believe in going to heaven; they believe in literal kingdom of God coming to earth in future and living forever on earth. its not like mainstream Christianity.
very much fantasy .. earth is evil place ... hardly u see good people
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

very much fantasy .. earth is evil place ... hardly u see good people
[/quote]

How do you know most people are not good??
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Most of these people are extremely arrogant and consider their interpretation of the Bible and the exact way to spread the gospel of the Bible to be IMMENSELY superior to any other sect of Christianity. Well, they’re are technically a “cult”. A very wealthy one.

Their ministry is all about knocking on as many doors as possible to not only spread the word but also bring about Armageddon.

Those who listen and join the cult are “sheep”. Those who reject their personal message are “goats”. Jdubbs are very quick to sort out the sheep from the goats.

They live in a close knit society where even one’s job can be affected by who they know. There are very well off people in the society of jdubbs and they help their own. That’s despite the fact that studies have shown the average IQ of a jdubb compared to the rest of society is low.

144,000 will go to heaven. Those who believe will live in a paradise on earth. Those who did not believe will be annihilated. No hell. No abyss. Just gone. They’re inheritance is eternal life. Makes no sense.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded