Steve Vai on Meditation, Reality, Mindfulness, Awareness of Awareness

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
bodom

Re: Steve Vai on Meditation, Reality, Mindfulness, Awareness of Awareness

Post by bodom »

SDC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:23 pm
bodom wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:17 am …Tosin Abasi…
He is the entire history of fusion/metal guitar playing. I rarely listen to music these days, but always give his new work a check-in. Seriously brilliant player.
Indeed. The guy is unreal.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
samseva

Post by samseva »

He is the entire history of fusion/metal guitar playing. I rarely listen to music these days, but always give his new work a check-in. Seriously brilliant player.
Could you post a few good videos of him?
samseva

Post by samseva »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:28 pm Interesting Vai is a meditator. He is a gifted musician that much is obvious. I was quite a metalhead but a lot of the uber genius musicians kind of went over my head.
Did John Petrucci from Dream Theater go over your head?

bodom

Post by bodom »

samseva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:44 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:28 pm Interesting Vai is a meditator. He is a gifted musician that much is obvious. I was quite a metalhead but a lot of the uber genius musicians kind of went over my head.
Did John Petrucci from Dream Theater go over your head?

One of the best guitarist's in the world from one of the best bands in the world. I was lucky enough to see them perform there absolutely amazing Images and Words album in it's entirety.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Yup, Dream Theatre were undoubtedly great musicians, but over my head too. My tastes ran a little more primitive metal-wise. I'll take Iron Maiden or Motorhead though!
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Arthur Brown rocked harder than any of these boys.

I joke, but not really.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
SDC

Post by SDC »

samseva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:44 pm
Could you post a few good videos of him?
Do not let the intense math at the start turn you off…there’s a bunch of great elements in here. Tosin is the guy in the black sweater:

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
samseva

Post by samseva »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:35 pm I joke, but not really.
Sounds very Zappa.
samseva

Post by samseva »

SDC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:36 pm Do not let the intense math at the start turn you off…there’s a bunch of great elements in here. Tosin is the guy in the black sweater:
Their studio stuff must be pretty solid. Those 8-strings, and the playing, definitely are.
samseva

Post by samseva »

bodom wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:31 pm One of the best guitarist's in the world from one of the best bands in the world. I was lucky enough to see them perform there absolutely amazing Images and Words album in it's entirety.
Nice!

If you didn't yet know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_View_from_the_Top_of_the_World
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

bodom wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:17 am Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom ...
:smile:

Yngwie Malmsteen, Tosin Abasi & the like are quite out of my ears' league & way above my head. Speaking of head, quite recently, I'm into Buckethead, haven't yet listened much tho'. With around 325 or so albums/pikes, I've a hard time even scratching the surface :shock:

However, I first need to dig more on Vie's The Ultra Zone, passion and warfare because he said in the video these came from his meditative experiences, imo.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
bodom

Post by bodom »

samseva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:05 pm
bodom wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:31 pm One of the best guitarist's in the world from one of the best bands in the world. I was lucky enough to see them perform there absolutely amazing Images and Words album in it's entirety.
Nice!

If you didn't yet know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_View_from_the_Top_of_the_World

Yes thank you Samseva I've been waiting for it to come out. They have released there first single from the album already called The Alien and it is great. Sounds like some of there older material.

- BB
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:42 am Buckethead
He’s not human. I saw him live in NYC. Instead of a backup band he simply had an iPod on a stool next to him that he would used to choose his background music. His fingers are each like 7” long. He can hit the frets so hard with his fretting hand that he can get enough sound and then use his playing hand to throw nunchucks. Wild. Sadly he’ll never get the recognition he deserves - he’s too out there. Always and forever a guitarist’s guitarist.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
samseva

Post by samseva »

Plays a solid solo, while accompanying himself—on three guitars—and then proceeds to sing...