non-Dhamma

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
un8-

Re: non-Dhamma

Post by un8- »

PeterC86 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:01 pm
un8- wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:31 pm
PeterC86 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:12 pm And I say diminish, because it will not lead to the release of all suffering while living, as in order to live, one needs to intake food, take a dump, etc. So by following such a Dhamma, one becomes a shell of a human, consumed by suffering. Every time a desire rises, one will see it as suffering, to such an extent as to which this Dhamma is followed.

I think your interpretation is flawed here. Desire for food or anything isn't necessarily tanha, which is the real problem, and the cause of suffering.
Irrelevant, as I only named food to show that one cannot live without desires. And I stated that; every time a desire rises, one will see it as suffering, to such an extent as to which this Dhamma is followed.

So you got hung up by me mentioning food, while forgoing my whole post. I will continue this thread here, viewtopic.php?p=650128#p650128 and will respond to your other post there.
You entirely missed the point that this is not what the Buddha calls desires. You're more like the extreme ascetics not like the Buddha who followed the middle way.

As I said, not everything is a sensual desire.
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

un8- wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:14 pm You entirely missed the point that this is not what the Buddha calls desires. You're more like the extreme ascetics not like the Buddha who followed the middle way.

As I said, not everything is a sensual desire.
See viewtopic.php?p=650920#p650920
josaphatbarlaam

Post by josaphatbarlaam »

PeterC86 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:54 pm I do not believe in anything, nor something supernatural.
Then its silly for you to speak of nibbana or enlightenment or whatever you choose to call it.
PeterC86 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:54 pm Indeed there is nothing unique to what I say, as I only point to dependent origination, just as the Pali Canon.
PeterC86 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 pm Irrelevant, because even the terms 'religion', 'philosophy', 'religious', and what these terms point to, are all of dependent origination.
These kinds of statements make dependent origination sound like some kind of Creator God. Its ironic from someone who claims to believe in nothing supernatural.