Sin and Craving

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Pondera

Sin and Craving

Post by Pondera »

It seems to me that Jesus was the one with the ability to forgive sins. It is said:
Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
In other words, Jesus could take the filth in our hearts, cleanse it, take it upon himself and get rid of it - granting us a pure heart and eternal life.

I think the Buddha had a similar aim in that the application of his teachings alone could purify the heart, release it from the filth and the fermentations in there - granting us a place in the Deathless.

The difference is obviously that Jesus is offering to do this FOR us. The Buddha is teaching us how to do this for OURSELVES.

This may also be an indicator of just what kind of short life Jesus lived compared to the long life and extensive teachings of the Buddha.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is little to no difference between the Kingdom of Heaven and Nibanna. I would also not be shocked if “the Deathless” and “eternal life” are equivalent.

DN 1 - describes the idea of life in a Brahma heaven. But I don’t see Christianity as being a “union” with the Great Being. It is more about forgiveness of sins and purification so that one may find a happy destination after death.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Coëmgenu

Re: Sin and Craving

Post by Coëmgenu »

At that point, you might as well seek birth in the calyx of a lotus in the Western Paradise, taught from birth by Amitāyur.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:33 am At that point, you might as well seek birth in the calyx of a lotus in the Western Paradise, taught from birth by Amitāyur.
Whatever works 🤷‍♀️
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Pondera wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:14 am I wouldn’t be surprised if there is little to no difference between the Kingdom of Heaven and Nibanna. I would also not be shocked if “the Deathless” and “eternal life” are equivalent.
Christians practice with the intention of going to heaven. That is one of the planes of existence and not the same as Nibbana. To achieve the latter you need right view, which is not a part of Christianity.
wrote: DN 1 - describes the idea of life in a Brahma heaven. But I don’t see Christianity as being a “union” with the Great Being. It is more about forgiveness of sins and purification so that one may find a happy destination after death.
Yes, it seeks a destination - Nibbana is beyond that.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Jesus is saving sinners (the many)

Buddha is saving those with little dust in their eyes (the few)
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

cappuccino wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:36 am Jesus is saving sinners (the many)

:bow:
4GreatHeavenlyKings

Post by 4GreatHeavenlyKings »

Pondera wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:33 am

:bow:
As a Buddhist, Jesus has no more salvific importance for me than any other person who inspires other people to do good - and Jesus teached many false doctrines, such as that YHWH the god controls salvation.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Why not Amitabha Buddha? :rofl:
Attachments
Buddha-Weekly-Amitabha-Buddha-in-the-Chinese-style-Buddhism.jpg
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

I'd say Jesus wants you to let him(/God) save you, the Buddha teaches us to save ourselves.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

The concept of "original sin" is flawed just as the concept of "Buddha nature"...
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "