A set of consciousness can be extracted and placed into another hardware

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cappuccino

Re: A set of consciousness can be extracted and placed into another hardware

Post by cappuccino »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:41 pm I cant because i discerened what it is
no self is not the teaching
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

No self anywhere
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

form wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:30 am This is comparable to rebirth?
How we image rebirth is a reflection of our view on world structure.
If we view 'I and rest of the world', rebirth is a soul going into a new body.
If we view Allness as khandas, it would be consciousness arising with contact of forms.
If we view All as empty phenomena, death is seen as empty movement too. Nothing dies nothing is born.

It is very confusing if one's view on Allness keeps shifting during contemplation.
i.e. you see the world as 'I live in the world.', but you switch to empty view on soul only, it starts to get muddle.
if you view ALL as khandas, you must not have space and time out of khandas. You have to contemplate what khandas space and time belong to.
josaphatbarlaam

Post by josaphatbarlaam »

its not possible
form

Post by form »

josaphatbarlaam wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:46 pm its not possible
When this happen into a computer. The computer will have influences from the past experience, he may even think he was so and so in the past, and want to be like this and that in future. :mrgreen:
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

On the question of can AI be conscious, or can we upload our minds into robot bodies, or can we replace our brain one cell at a time with microchips then become a cyborg, then a full on robot gradually, and still considered a sentient being capable of suffering and enlightenment?

It highly depends on whether AI brain structure is good enough to support the mind (if even starfish can have a mind, I don't see why not), or more in Buddhist terminology, whether we can be reborn as a robot.

I think it's an open question, best settled via empirical data. If the robot becomes conscious and acts like a sentient being, provides information akin to children recalling past life experiences, and we find these in the real world, but not in the database which is in the robot's initial programming and the robot is not connected online.... then there could be a case for rebirth as a robot, uploading one's mind into robot (basically controlling the next rebirth, but in this case, the original must die in the uploading process), etc.

I don't think there's anything in Buddhism to rule it out.
form

Post by form »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:36 am
On the question of can AI be conscious, or can we upload our minds into robot bodies, or can we replace our brain one cell at a time with microchips then become a cyborg, then a full on robot gradually, and still considered a sentient being capable of suffering and enlightenment?

It highly depends on whether AI brain structure is good enough to support the mind (if even starfish can have a mind, I don't see why not), or more in Buddhist terminology, whether we can be reborn as a robot.

I think it's an open question, best settled via empirical data. If the robot becomes conscious and acts like a sentient being, provides information akin to children recalling past life experiences, and we find these in the real world, but not in the database which is in the robot's initial programming and the robot is not connected online.... then there could be a case for rebirth as a robot, uploading one's mind into robot (basically controlling the next rebirth, but in this case, the original must die in the uploading process), etc.

I don't think there's anything in Buddhism to rule it out.
Out of interest I was searching online about the memory capabilities of an elephant. An adult elephant brain weight around 5kg, and they have memories ranking among the highest. Our brain are much smaller but surely our brain has some capabilities that an elephant's brain is incapable of.
un8-

Post by un8- »

form wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:42 am ...
Bhikkhu Samahita was an AI engineer before being a monk, so he knows what he's talking about, here he explains why AI will never have consciousness.

Starts at 57 minute mark but the entire talk is good too
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Yes it is the same. We can see that robot acting like someone we knew and who recalls personal events and say "Oh, look, that's Johnny! It acts like him and has his memories. It must be Johnny! No doubt of it". And the robot may be conscious and remember things that only happened to Johnny and think "I am Johnny. I am back in this new metal body!".

It is the same though it's not what the Buddha taught... What the Buddha taught is forms, feelings, perceptions, volitional formations and consciousness can not be regarded as me, mine or myself.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa