Why is jesus christ more popular than the buddha?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Red Belly

Re: Why is jesus christ more popular than the buddha?

Post by Red Belly »

Yes, it's definitely hard to compete with Christianity in the music department. One could argue that all of western classical music can be traced, link by link, back to the chant and later polyphonic styles to be found in the Catholic Church's liturgical traditions; and from classical music it actually isn't all that far to see its fingerprints in many, many melodic (and even rhythmic, though this is more subtle) conventions to be found in modern pop music. So yes, Christianity is pretty massive in this area.

I agree with Sam's posts above that correct the idea that somehow Christianity is "easy." It isn't. Now, if we were to go to a traditionally Christian country like, say, France, or England, or the US or the Philippines, and pulled the average man off the street to see how much time and effort he was devoting to his country's historic faith, in all likelihood the answer would be not much. If he was doing anything at all, of course. But would such a result be all that different if that experiment were to be conducted in countries like Thailand or Myanmar? I'm guessing it wouldn't. Let's face it, the vast majority of those who label themselves as members of any given religion don't do a whole lot for a good part of the time, so we mustn't take the worst of Christianity and compare it with the best of Buddhism (though I admit to sometimes falling into this myself! :thinking: ).

Getting back to the original question, I'd add that Christianity also has a talent for making really good holidays. Leaving aside how vulgar much of it has become these days, Christmas really is a lovely holiday; who wouldn't like to think such a story was true? Same with Easter. Halloween, which is more Christian than most people give it credit for, is also rather fun. One could go on. Such festive occasions hold a huge attraction for most people. By comparison Buddhism can seem a little austere. All this doesn't make Christianity true, of course, but it does add another powerful selling point to what other posters have said above.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Red Belly wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Getting back to the original question, I'd add that Christianity also has a talent for making really good holidays. Leaving aside how vulgar much of it has become these days, Christmas really is a lovely holiday; who wouldn't like to think such a story was true? Same with Easter. Halloween, which is more Christian than most people give it credit for, is also rather fun. One could go on. Such festive occasions hold a huge attraction for most people. By comparison Buddhism can seem a little austere. All this doesn't make Christianity true, of course, but it does add another powerful selling point to what other posters have said above.
Yay xmas in a few weeks. Looking forward to what santa brings for my children!
thepea

Post by thepea »

Because Christ is the creation of god and the ego can know this, where buddha cannot be known by the self.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Because the nations that adopted it early on later colonized most of the world and significantly expanded it. I think there actually was a period when Buddhism was the largest religion in the world, but Islam later followed it and then later Christianity. Its just how history played out. I think the details of the religions itself played a minor role in their relative popularity.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Red Belly

Post by Red Belly »

TRobinson465 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:16 am Because the nations that adopted it early on later colonized most of the world and significantly expanded it. I think there actually was a period when Buddhism was the largest religion in the world, but Islam later followed it and then later Christianity. Its just how history played out. I think the details of the religions itself played a minor role in their relative popularity.
Excellent point, TR! Being spread first by Rome, then Spain and France, and then by England was definitely a huge help to spreading the Christian faith.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

These are the reasons why I think Jesus Christ is more popular than the Buddha -

1. Christianity caters to the lowest in societies - Buddhism grew in Ancient India where spiritual pursuit was part of the culture. Buddhism had to stand above and beyond other religions that existed in Ancient India at that time. The Brahmanic religion as well as Jainism and other spiritual paths at that time, there was meditation involved, there was discussion and debate on philosophical matters. Buddhism had to stand above all of that to survive the competition. As for Christianity, it grew in an environment where people were more survival oriented and less spiritually oriented. That religion was preached to people from desert climates who did animal husbandry and fishing for a living. a religion of depth in philosophical matters wouldnt have survivied as it would be too heavy for the average middle eastern man at that time who were more likely to think about staying alive for the week by slaughtering animals and fishing and was not able to comprehend about matters such as the nature of suffering or the truth of kamma etc. This is why Christianity in its teachings is very basic and lacks the breadth and depth of Buddhism. But because of the simple and unsophisticated nature of Christianity, it could be easily absorbed even by the lowest common denominator in any society. You may get thugs and gangsters wearing crosses and praying to Jesus whiles thinking about killing and doing drug deals. Now how many of you have seen a religious practicing Buddhism wear a Dhamma Wheel pendent and do that?

2. Christianity was spread extensively by European global conquest - the various European empires (Spanish, British, Portuguese, French and Belgian) conquered significant parts of Africa, Asia and America (both North and South America). Either one of two strategies were used. Either the entire population will be killed and replaced with their own kind (like with Australia and North America), or whiles the locals were killed, others were either converted or the rulers engaged in mixed marriages where the partners and children will be Christian. Slavery was a big part of European global conquest but this was not just limited to physical slavery. Mental slavery was also involved and converting others to Christianity was a way of making the locals obedient and subservient to the conquerors. You will see this very well among Sub-Saharan Africa where there a lot of fanatical Christians who actively avoid the thought that the Europeans forcefully converted their great grandparents to Christianity whiles being whipped and tortured.

3. Most capitalist countries are Christian - Corporations in western countries especially the USA, pump millions of money for the propagation of Christianity.

4. Christianity does not have the same type of spiritual responsibility that Buddhism has. If you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour then all you sins are forgiven and then God will place you in Heaven for eternity. In Buddhism we have to do the hard work ourselves. It is this lack of responsibility along with reassurance which makes Christianity more appealing. Hence Jesus being more popular.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Dharmasherab wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:18 pm You may get thugs and gangsters wearing crosses and praying to Jesus whiles thinking about killing and doing drug deals. Now how many of you have seen a religious practicing Buddhism wear a Dhamma Wheel pendent and do that?
Ajahn Santacitto (Steve Saslav) saw precisely that. In Thailand, a gangster came to visit Ajahn Chah's monastery, and when he bowed to Ajahn Chah, his shirt slipped up to reveal the pistol in his back pocket.

Some of your characterisations of Buddhism and Christianity might be the result of selecting particular aspects of those religions. Counter-examples abound.
Red Belly

Post by Red Belly »

Dharmasherab, though you make many good points, especially regarding the impact of European colonialism on spreading the Christian faith, I agree with Sam that you are being a little unfair to Christianity - or turning a blind eye to many similar problems in Buddhism, which is pretty much the same thing.

Do many people wear crosses or other Christian paraphernalia unworthily? Of course they do. A charitable way to look at it would be to grant that perhaps they need the presence of a saviour more than anyone, and maybe he will touch their hearts in the end. But as Sam points out, don't kid yourself that the same doesn't happen in Buddhism. I have seen Buddha rupas in the most astonishing places, from drug dens to booze shops, to brothels and sex clubs (I rush to say in photos only! :thinking: ), in other words places that have little or no regard for the Dhamma, but this is no reflection on the sublime teachings of the Buddha or the religion he founded. As with Christian ill-doers, perhaps seeing such a symbol and all it represents will touch the hearts of some of these people. Stranger things have happened. (Which is not to say we shouldn't encourage the proper use of Buddhist symbols, of course!)

Second, whilst Christianity can indeed be reduced to teachings of great simplicity, that doesn't mean there isn't a huge amount of "higher" teaching for any who are called or attracted to it. Just as a Tibetan peasant circling clockwise around a stupa might not know how to articulate the Abhidhamma or Vajrajana - yet might still be far advanced on the Way - so too, many a Christian has practiced his faith largely by telling beads or singing "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" - but his religion isn't all simplicity, of that be sure. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas are pretty heady stuff.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

I mean. I don't really understand why you guys think Christianity being "easy" helped it's spread or using examples of bad ppl who r christians. Islam is larger than Buddhism. Does that mean it is larger for the same reasons? What about Judaism being so small? There are also Buddhists who misuse Buddhism. I think one of the ppl who led the violent riots in Thailand in 2014 later became a monk for a few weeks to dilute his bad kamma.

When u look at the actual data, polls say most ppl r born into their faith, and often see it as no more than a form of thier identity like they do nationality or race, including Buddhists. Before the rise of the Muslim empire Buddhism was the largest religion in the world, not because it was easier than other religions around at the time but because of the great work king Ashoka did and the presence of the silk road. Islam overtook it because of the successful conquests of Muhammad. Christianity overtook Islam due European expansionism.

It's all history my friend. Asking why Christianity is larger than Buddhism is like asking why r the Irish r Catholic. U can come up with any such religious reasons like the Irish love for saint Patrick or Irish ppl just genuinely believed in literal transubstantiation. But in reality nothing is more compelling than the simple political reason that the Irish hated the British and didn't want to adopt thier new religion of Anglicanism.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Dharmasherab wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:18 pm It is this lack of responsibility along with reassurance which makes Christianity more appealing.
Christians must not sin, that's difficult
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

You should learn more about Christianity before you say "Christians mustn't sin."

:juggling:
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:16 pm You should learn more about Christianity before you say "Christians mustn't sin."
?
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

"Sin boldly."
-Martin Luther

About half of Christianity, i.e. many many Protestant sects, believe that Jesus's message was that it is utterly impossible for humans not to sin. That's why God had to send his only-begotten son as a perfect and sufficient substitution, taking the wrath of God that would be otherwise directed at the sinners. It is called the doctrine of utter depravity. It is part of "TULIPS" if you're Calvinist.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:16 pm believe that Jesus's message was that it is utterly impossible for humans not to sin. That's why
yet we have the ten commandments

commanding us to not sin
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

From my limited understanding, some of the appeal of Christianity could be the way it reformed Judaism. To have a more inclusive religion appeals to the spirit of our age that values democracy and meritocracy. Some view the Buddha as a reformer similar to Jesus who came to abolish the caste system and give an equal opportunity to Nibbana.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.