Why is jesus christ more popular than the buddha?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
auto

Re: Why is jesus christ more popular than the buddha?

Post by auto »

Ontheway wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:12 pm Her "Truth" is of no value to me, since it doesn't bring about dispassion, realisation, and wisdom. Nevertheless, I respect her opinions as a fellow human being. No more, no less.
You haven't watched the video, NDE amongst other things caused to start notice discomfort with this world. You fail to treat someone's experience as experience and call it opinion instead of something actually happened.. It is akin to having no empathy, thinking you know pain better because you have been born in Sibir.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

auto wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:19 pm
Ontheway wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:12 pm Her "Truth" is of no value to me, since it doesn't bring about dispassion, realisation, and wisdom. Nevertheless, I respect her opinions as a fellow human being. No more, no less.
You haven't watched the video, NDE amongst other things caused to start notice discomfort with this world. You fail to treat someone's experience as experience and call it opinion instead of something actually happened.. It is akin to having no empathy, thinking you know pain better because you have been born in Sibir.
Well, you summarised the info from video for me in the post above. So, thank you.

And what is Sibir?
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
auto

Post by auto »

Ontheway wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:23 pm Well, you summarised the info from video for me in the post above. So, thank you.

And what is Sibir?
I summarized only one thing, you then failed with the comment you made about not giving insight to displeasure etc. So if you say more then you might fail more.
Ignore my comment on Siberia.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

insight about death & the afterlife
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

confusedsoso wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:17 am Why is jesus christ more popular than the buddha? Is it because he was more influential or maybe the buddhas dharma was not as powerful as some buddhists believe?
I suspect the anatta teaching accounts for Buddhism's relative lack of success.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Popularity is not only based on appeal to the mainstream, but on conditions that helped made it mainstream. In general, the Buddha's teachings for laity is the shadow of Abrahamic religions. Counter-logic is still a logic that helps people organize themselves and turn teachings into a religion.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Well one preached eternal life in heaven. Hard to compete with that one.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Jesus is easy. Buddha is hard. I have met Christians who don't agree with me, but then what they talk about suggests that life is difficult regardless of religion.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Good responses above, imo. Buddhism is hard, Christianity is easy. You just have faith and pray and then eternal happiness in heaven next to Jesus (according to Christianity).

Judaism historically was only for ethnic Jews, it tended to shun converts (I hear today that has changed though). Then came Christianity which opened the doors to everyone and happily encouraged conversion and had big missionary efforts that continue today.

And then Christianity has done a better job in the social welfare department, helping the poor, providing food, assistance where needed. I won't say they are bribing the followers (I'm sure the church has good intentions), but it's only natural that those who are helped try to return the favors by converting and accepting Jesus as their savior. I've seen this first hand from some people who are helped with rental assistance, food, home supplies, etc. And then when they get back to being self sufficient, they not only join that church, but donate money back to that church.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

faith is not easy, a lot of people have difficulty

which seems to be resistance

merely unwilling to embrace truth
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

the difficulty of Buddhism is also about resistance

being unwilling to let go

(not judging… I'm unwilling myself)
denise

Post by denise »

advertising
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

denise wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:53 pmadvertising
Good point. Many Christians think that they are under some sort of obligation or commandment to proselytise and make converts. At the end of Matthew, for example, Jesus instructs his disciples to "go and make disciples of all nations". That's likely to lead to Christianity spreading more rapidly than those religions which have no such injunction.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DNS wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:53 pm Good responses above, imo. Buddhism is hard, Christianity is easy. You just have faith and pray and then eternal happiness in heaven next to Jesus (according to Christianity).
Hmmm, not sure about that one. It seems to be supported by Jesus saying stuff like
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light
But in the same book he is quoted thus:
If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
The cross gives the double-handled saw a run for its money, in my view. Huge numbers of Christians (depending on tradition and denomination) have chosen a very rough life of self-sacrifice, and likewise countless numbers have accepted martyrdom in its most gruesome forms. I'm not tough enough.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

denise wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:53 pmadvertising
Sure they did a good marketing job.

And a lot of badass Christian songs (not those Mega Church's though) :rofl:

:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false