Sarco Pod Machine

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cappuccino

Re: Sarco Pod Machine

Post by cappuccino »

SteRo wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:39 pm In peril? No. I'll just die.
which would be totally fine, even good

except it cannot be
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:42 pm
SteRo wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:39 pm In peril? No. I'll just die.
which would be totally fine, even good

except it cannot be
It cannot be that I'll die? I'd say there is strong scientific evidence that I'll die.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

SteRo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:53 am I'll die.
you need to have concern for the afterlife
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:05 pm
SteRo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:53 am I'll die.
you need to have concern for the afterlife
Well, from a scientific perspective your verbal expression qualifies as BS.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:23 pm It seems the West is quite obsessed with Death and Suicide. Now we have this "Sarco Pod" in Switzerland. The company claimed that it gives a painless death and it is guaranteed the user will die painless, peaceful, and stylishly. I wonder how they get those feedback ...from Oujia Board maybe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarco_device

What would be Buddhism's take on this Sarco Pod thing? Sarco-device.jpg

Personally I think it is unwholesome...
My view.

You put your hand in a fire and feel the pain. What you do next is to take your hand out, take some painkillers and wait for it to heal.
What if there is no chance of healing? Then you amputate the damaged hand.

Who are we to judge those who choose to end their physical pain?
Will they burn in hell for their deed?
What if the severe pain leads to anger and resentment/hate?
Why me? I am a good person and always do charity!
Wouldn't that be even worse?

After all the most that the teachings can do are to remove the mental suffering.
We are still stuck with the physical arrow until the end.
What is wrong with removing it like the way we remove the mental arrow?
Not everyone can enter cessation of perception and feeling at will.
Modern narcotics work up to a point only.
And soon after the Blessed One had eaten the meal provided by Cunda the metalworker, a dire sickness fell upon him, even dysentery, and he suffered sharp and deadly pains. But the Blessed One endured them mindfully, clearly comprehending and unperturbed.

"No, friend Ananda, the Blessed One has not passed away. He has entered the state of the cessation of perception and feeling."

11. Then the Blessed One, rising from the cessation of perception and feeling, entered the sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception. Rising from the attainment of the sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception, he entered the sphere of nothingness. Rising from the attainment of the sphere of nothingness, he entered the sphere of infinite consciousness. Rising from the attainment of the sphere of infinite consciousness, he entered the sphere of infinite space. Rising from the attainment of the sphere of infinite space, he entered the fourth jhana. Rising from the fourth jhana, he entered the third jhana. Rising from the third jhana, he entered the second jhana. Rising from the second jhana, he entered the first jhana.

Rising from the first jhana, he entered the second jhana. Rising from the second jhana, he entered the third jhana. Rising from the third jhana, he entered the fourth jhana. And, rising from the fourth jhana, the Blessed One immediately passed away.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .vaji.html
This is not about suicide due to mental issues but purely from a physical viewpoint.
And yes, very often it is impossible to separate the two.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.