Theravada Buddhism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ontheway

Theravada Buddhism?

Post by Ontheway »

It is quite interesting to see Theravada (contemporary) Buddhism from non-Theravada Buddhist's perspective.

Sam Harris is wrong: Theravada Buddhism

"You're making up your nonsense."
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
cappuccino

Re: Theravada Buddhism?

Post by cappuccino »

Buddha is the teacher

:coffee:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Could you summarise the hour-long video ? What's the general idea?
Red Belly

Post by Red Belly »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 pm Could you summarise the hour-long video ? What's the general idea?
Yes, that would be helpful.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

The speaker, it seems very familiar with Theravada Buddhism. He said he studied Pāli language and Theravada doctrines. But, he is not a Buddhist.

He is talking about how bizarre that western people reinvented "Buddhism" and put themselves as the ultimate authority (new orthodoxy) for the religion and totally dismissed the ancient tradition, which they got the religion from in the first place. And problems regarding this attitude to such Asian religion and how Sam Harris reacts to the new Theravada Buddhism.

The main argument about Theravada Buddhism starts at 12:00 ...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ontheway wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:01 pm The speaker, it seems very familiar with Theravada Buddhism. He said he studied Pāli language and Theravada doctrines. But, he is not a Buddhist.

He is talking about how bizarre that western people reinvented "Buddhism" and put themselves as the ultimate authority (new orthodoxy) for the religion and totally dismissed the ancient tradition, which they got the religion from in the first place. And problems regarding this attitude to such Asian religion and how Sam Harris reacts to the new Theravada Buddhism.

The main argument about Theravada Buddhism starts at 12:00 ...
It's Eisel Mazard. He used to turn up here a few years ago. He re-formatted Lily de Silva's little Pali primer, and he spent some time here claiming that anapanasati was about farting, I seem to recall.

Whatever the content, he seems to be caught in an endless loop of scornful dismissive gestures, which I find difficult to watch. Click on any point in the video, and within a few seconds he is rolling his eyes, poking his tongue into his cheek, shrugging, sighing, and otherwise demonstrating how the world is not up to his standards.

EDIT: Amusing detail. There's a splendid extended denunciation of Joseph Goldstein as a snake-oil salesman (a view which I have a lot of sympathy with) and he points out that Goldstein cannot even pronounce the word "Buddha". But he himself mispronounces the place-name Barre, MA.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Well, a facial expression is just a facial expression. I don't expect him to act like high social class gentleman.

He did have some points, even though he was not buying Buddha's idea of liberation.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I remember he had many grievances, including claims that famous translators misinterpreted the Buddha;s teachings, and continued to do so even after bringing it to their attention.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Maybe he is the ultimate "EBTs" for both the "EBTs" and traditionalists. :rofl:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Red Belly

Post by Red Belly »

Well, he's a firecracker, that's for sure. I ended out watching the whole thing and can say that whilst he is certainly highly intelligent, and makes many good points, especially regarding the Barre Center and Goldstein (two things I'd definitely stay away from), I'm still left with the sense that he's just another Youtube pundit, ranting, against pretty much everything...except himself.

And the constant eye-rolling and weary sighs do get old quickly.

Thanks for sharing it though! It was an entertaining way to spend fifty minutes.