More Sri Lankan monks get into politics!

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This young monk, Venerable Dhamma Vijaya was someone talk against monks getting into politics. Now he has started his own movement named Unstoppable to change the system. He said monks can't go on Pindapatha as the Covid. At the same time, the country is going through a famine due to the Chinese debt-driven foreign exchange problem. Corrupt politicians misuse government funds. Civilians are afraid of voicing their views due to the fear of threats by the people in power. By the way, this is the monk who promoted the Tipitaka Protection Act.
It appears now the monks do not have any other options but to involve with politics.
There is no democracy in Sri Lanka so it is unfortunate that monks have to do the lay peoples job. This is very similar to Bhikkhu Bodhi's involvement with politics.

The video is in the Sinhalese language.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Re: More Sri Lankan monks get into politics!

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Please don't exaggerate, Sarath.
SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:15 pm ...the country is going through a famine due to the Chinese debt-driven foreign exchange problem.
There is no famine in Sri Lanka. There's a shortage of some foods.
Definition: famine, severe and prolonged hunger in a substantial proportion of the population of a region or country, resulting in widespread and acute malnutrition and death by starvation and disease.
It appears now the monks do not have any other options but to involve with politics.
Nonsense. Nobody forces them to be in politics. They choose to.
SamD

Post by SamD »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:24 am Please don't exaggerate, Sarath.
SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:15 pm ...the country is going through a famine due to the Chinese debt-driven foreign exchange problem.
Definition: famine, severe and prolonged hunger in a substantial proportion of the population of a region or country, resulting in widespread and acute malnutrition and death by starvation and disease.
:thumbsup:
BKh

Post by BKh »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:15 pm This is very similar to Bhikkhu Bodhi's involvement with politics.
This is nothing at all like Bhante Bodhi's so called involvement in politics.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I can't help but to agree with James here... It's kinda exaggeration 😅

Reminds me of this:

:rofl:

The monk always has a choice. And I think in the Suttas the Buddha said monks should not spend time on worldly affairs.

I think few months ago, there were two learned Thai monks (both learned Pāli and earned "Maha" title, very famous in Thailand and within Thai Theravada communities, frequent in giving Dhamma talks often supported by million of Thai Buddhists and entrepreneurs in Thailand), always involved themselves in politics and social media to judge on worldly affairs. In the end, they return to lay life and become Tik-Tok stars.

1) First (ex)monk called "Phra Maha Paiwan"

Leaving monkhood

A Tik-Tok star after leaving monkhood, now he becomes rich after receiving many ad projects and commercial sponsorship.

2) Second (ex)monk called "Phra Maha Sompong"

Leaving monkhood

Getting "sensational", now he is a famous Singer in Thailand.

I hope Sri Lankan monks don't get involve much in worldly affairs...
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:24 am Please don't exaggerate, Sarath.
China has promised to donate four months' supplies of rice to Sri Lanka.
Guess why?
Please do not accept what I say. I just say what I heard from people.
They say now there are more people begging in the streets.
In this sort of situation, some monks are reluctant to go Pindapatha.
There are crop failures due to Adhoc introductions of organic fertiliser.
Recently there is a scandal China sent a ship full of human waste and rubbish mix as organic fertiliser to Sri Lanka.
I have seen this matter was raised in the parliament.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”