Did the Buddha teach we have choice? (aka The Great Free Will v Determinism Debate)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Did the Buddha teach we have choice? (aka The Great Free Will v Determinism Debate)

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

The other tread that was about Intelligent design got me looking at the Big bang theory again. Does the big bang mean that everything is already determined? The Big bang, in essence, set of a chain of events that, several billion years later, caused life to evolve on earth and for humans to come into existence. I mean if you trace everything backwards through cause and effect it leads to you the big bang

I know its a wrong view in Buddhism but physical science seems to prove it

So, has everything already been set, like how the last domino is already set to fall when the first one fell?

metta
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Cittasanto

Re: Is everything actually predetermined?

Post by Cittasanto »

the last domino doesn't always fall just becayse the first did!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

It does if the line isnt broken

Cause and effect has never had a kind of gap in it since the big bang

To expand the idea im putting out for debate is kinda a long these lines

everything that happens right now was decided billions of years ago by the movement of a few quarks, since if those quarks hadnt come together to form hadrons then matter wouldnt come to be and there would be nothing in the universe accept radiation. However quarks did go onto form hadrons which eventually gave birth to the atom and matter which then formed the galaxies, sun, planet, earth, life, human, craig, lives, get sick, old and dies.

(Im not a scientist by trade so i may be slightly off in what i said above in relation to the early universe, i wrote it from memory)

metta
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

if no break in the chain could happen, then enlightenment is not possible.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Manapa wrote:if no break in the chain could happen, then enlightenment is not possible.

Difficult for me to answer this without resorting to the view of Makkhali Gosala

However as i said the big bang seems to give strong indications that everything was already determined at the begining of the universe

I suppose the question comes down to matter and mind, is everything predetermined accept for when there is mind to alter events or is mind determined a long with matter
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

plus if things are predetermined then what would be the point in practice?
plus pre-determination doesn't only imply a design, but says there is a design where as design doesn't need the predetermination.

John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Manapa wrote:plus if things are predetermined then what would be the point in practice?
plus pre-determination doesn't only imply a design, but says there is a design where as design doesn't need the predetermination.

Sure it implies some kind of design, doesnt have to mean intelligent design though ;)

I wouldnt use that word though since people would take it as "god"

I cant make out the last bit of the sentence, do you mean that design doesnt need predetermination?

N.B. made a mistake using word predestination, have changed to more accurate "determined"

metta
cooran

Re: Is everything already determined?

Post by cooran »

Hello clw_uk,

What caused the most recent Big Bang which 'formed' the Universe As We Know It? And the uncountable Big Bangs before that?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Science answer, quantum mechanics forbids determinism. Look up Heisenburg's uncertainty principal and enjoy :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Edit - corrected doesn't to does
Yes that is what I meant, and why I didn't use the word inteligent, some of what is classed in id isn't actually id but simply d.

predetermined or determined both imply action either one action which set every thing going in a course that could not be altered (predetermined) or many actions which alter the chain of events to come in some way (think of the weather and its effects on peoples mood) both imply the same thing just from a different angle (deist or monotheistic/pantheistic models althought the hindus have a rather interesting take which is half and half in some ways and to an extent so did the ancient greek although not developed in the same way)

here is a little list of the possibilities in both predetermined and determined but obviously not exhaustive

predetermined
doesn't matter what we do the end result is guaranteed no matter what, wither heaven or hell in the one two lives model, or enlightenment in the three life model, although if it is only a onelife model the same applies.

determined
this has several possibilities
deist - same as predetermined exept that everything that happens had an initial starting point and course which without other influences its target would fall in the predetermined bracket but as it does effects and alters the couse of everything else it comes into contact with.
science - same as above
theistic - miricles

these are just some of the possibilities off the top of my headand I do have another but will do another post in a min for that the scroll is hard to work with at this length?
Last edited by Cittasanto on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

the other option (if I should of even called it that) is that the source be it called a deistic god, or a chain of causes and conditions which led to the knowable timeframe we live in (100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years or so from .00005 of a second after the big bang if I remember the closest we can get to it at the moment) as Dawkin may say, is the cause of the universe is unknownso why bother thinking about it? for scientific inquiry and further development of our knowledge and ability - yes - but in day to day life no, here we are lets get on with it.

I am reminded of a sutta but can not thing which one or two

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Mawkish
thanks didn't see your post before mine

John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

This sounds a lot like the free will vs. determinism debates.

Theists prefer free will
Atheists prefer determinism

Buddhas know Dependent Origination

:yingyang:

:meditate:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TheDhamma wrote:This sounds a lot like the free will vs. determinism debates.

Theists prefer free will
Atheists prefer determinism

Buddhas know Dependent Origination

:yingyang:

:meditate:
:anjali:

John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Chris wrote:Hello clw_uk,

What caused the most recent Big Bang which 'formed' the Universe As We Know It? And the uncountable Big Bangs before that?

metta
Chris

Of course i dont know the answer, although Brane cosmology looks interesting to me

However why does there have to be a begining, everything could be endless and still determined

metta