Sectarianism

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Spiny O'Norman

Re: Sectarianism

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

PeterB wrote:And one mans sectarian is another mans practitioner who is digging for the mother lode in one spot, rather than having a neurotic need to be all inclusive.
I find this a puzzling comment. What seems to me neurotic is the need to denigrate and patronise other Buddhist schools, particularly when it's done on a tit-for-tat basis.

Spiny
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
PeterB wrote:" Letting go" is just about the most vacuous cliche trotted out on Buddhist Forum Boards...and all the more misleading because everyone thinks they know what it means...
So what do you think it means?

Spiny
Nothing much. Its just a Buddhist cliche. Along with "not grasping "....
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
PeterB wrote:And one mans sectarian is another mans practitioner who is digging for the mother lode in one spot, rather than having a neurotic need to be all inclusive.
I find this a puzzling comment. What seems to me neurotic is the need to denigrate and patronise other Buddhist schools, particularly when it's done on a tit-for-tat basis.

Spiny

Glad to be of service Norman...any time you feel the need for a bit of displacement you can always come along and be puzzled by almost anything I post... :rofl:
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
PeterB wrote:" Letting go" is just about the most vacuous cliche trotted out on Buddhist Forum Boards...and all the more misleading because everyone thinks they know what it means...
So what do you think it means?

Spiny
"it's for the sake of total Unbinding through lack of clinging that the holy life is lived under the Blessed One."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

See there you go.... :lol:
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

PeterB wrote:See there you go.... :lol:
The sutta linked there provides the context.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Jolly good. There's the words all right....Now all we need to do is all start living it...
Ben

Post by Ben »

gabrielbranbury wrote:Hi Ben,

I have had a similar experience among fellow practitioners. A few of my Buddhist friends were talking about some peoples practice being a bit fanatical and they both looked at me with a pregnant glance which I was really surprised by. Like you say I just feel motivated to practice precepts and do what I can to further the Dhamma practice of myself and others. I get the impression that if you give in wholeheartedly to your Dhamma motivation it can cause some disaffection with those who might feel it challenges them. I really dont feel fanatical but maybe that is how I am seen by others. I must admit that this is difficult for me. I am blown by the 8 winds and trying to maintain awareness of it.

Metta

Gabe
I think you're right Gabe, it is hard.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

I don't think anything needs to be said about sectarianism other than that it is a bad thing and a sign of ignorance.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

hm36drugs-are-bad-posters copy.jpg
hm36drugs-are-bad-posters copy.jpg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
_/|\_
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I dont think that there are any sectarians on this forum.
Just Theravadins who want to get on with their practice , and Mahayanists who want to have their path acknowledged.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Metta,
Retro. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

I think sectarianism won't bring us anywhere. One time, I listen to Dalai Lama speech, and he mentioned about Religion Teaching and Religion Institution. The teaching itself is free from sectarianism. It is the institution that make it as if they are difference.

Among themselves, definitely there is a difference. But, it is not a conflict.

Reality can be shown by many ways. This many ways raised to differences. However, reality cannot be shown if each teaching is conflicting each other.

There is some difference or emphasizes in Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, or Zen. But, there is no conflict in their teaching.

So, where is the problem?

Differences are good. Why? Have you ever study something using certain approach but you cannot penerate the meaning? Sometimes, different approach will lead you to the answer.

SOmetimes, when you use Theravadan approach, you can have problem in understanding Pali Canon. But, when you use Mahayana approach, you can understand that teaching. Same with other approaches.

The best thing to me is if we can know all these approaches, you will be very skillful in penetrating reality or reaching your buddhahood.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!