the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dhammanando

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Dhammanando »

seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 pm Since the argument in favor of vegetarianism is based entirely on only the animal's perspective, what anyone else has said about it, including the Buddha, doesn't matter to it.
That might be the case if one were making a purely secular case for vegetarianism. But as this is a Buddhist forum it seems a bit out of order to tell posters who look to the Buddha for guidance in matters of sīla:
seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 pmThe topic has nothing to do with what the Buddha intended or not intended to begin with so none of that is relevant.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
seeker242

Re: Is fishing breaking the precept?

Post by seeker242 »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:31 pm
seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 pm The animals perspective is always going to be "I want everyone to be vegetarian".
Except, of course, for the carnivorous animals.... :thinking:
Not really an exception. Carnivorous animals don't want to be killed and eaten either, which also includes great white sharks. :smile:
Dhammanando wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:58 pm That might be the case if one were making a purely secular case for vegetarianism.
The topic is inherently secular to begin with as the animals in question don't follow any particular religion.
But as this is a Buddhist forum it seems a bit out of order to tell posters who look to the Buddha for guidance in matters of sīla:
I would not say it's out of order because the Buddha himself taught that it's quite appropriate to be "putting oneself in the place of another". In this situation, one is simply putting oneself in the place of the animals. That is what empathy is after all and empathy for suffering beings is certainly not out of order in a Buddhist context. If one is unwilling or unable to "put oneself in the place of another", that is not exactly a good thing.
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:51 pm Greetings seeker242,

Strange to discuss a moral dilemma on a Buddhist forum and not recourse to the Buddha’s teachings. If this is all about secular arguments and “animal rights” then I guess I can just step out. Those things are of a secondary importance, if important at all imo.

Metta

:)
Like I said above, taking the place of another should not be considered strange, especially so when the Buddha himself said it's quite appropriate to do and should be done.
Last edited by seeker242 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings seeker242,
Like I said above, taking the place of another should not be considered strange, especially so when the Buddha himself said it's quite appropriate to do and should be done.
So now we are bringing in what he said?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:40 pm Greetings seeker242,
In response to people claiming that taking the place of another is somehow out of order, yes. What he said directly contradicts the idea that it's somehow out of order.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:35 pm
seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 pm The animals perspective is always going to be "I want everyone to be vegetarian".
Not really an exception. Carnivorous animals don't want to be killed and eaten either, which also includes great white sharks. :smile:
They don't want to starve, either, which is why they don't want everyone to be vegetarian.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:07 pm

They don't want to starve, either, which is why they don't want everyone to be vegetarian.
I dont think great whites have access to a vegetarian option. There's a marked absence of tofu seals. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dinsdale wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:10 pm

I dont think great whites have access to a vegetarian option. There's a marked absence of tofu seals. :tongue:
Clearly they just aren’t woke enough :jumping:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 pmIn response to people claiming that taking the place of another is somehow out of order, yes.
Hey, stop equivocating, you slippery eel. What was stated to be out of order was your attempt to quash discussion of what the Buddha said, and what he meant, on the subjects of vegetarianism and meat-eating.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 pm
In response to people claiming that taking the place of another is somehow out of order, yes. What he said directly contradicts the idea that it's somehow out of order.
So is your position that you want to cite and emphasise the Buddha's ideas where they seem to support vegetarianism, but downplay or ignore those which condone meat eating?
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

If human beings were breeding, killing and eating millions of great white sharks, like they do now with cows, pigs and chickens, yes they would want everyone to be vegetarian... It should be obvious that "everyone" here is referring to human beings... Common sense dictates that this should not need to be stipulated...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

(Sorry, I'll give this one another outing....)

That's such a red herring! :redherring: :tongue:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pm

(Sorry, I'll give this one another outing....)

That's such a red herring! :redherring: :tongue:
If other people can be fishy, then so can I. Though it makes me feel eel, and a bit crabby. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Dhammanando wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:14 pm
seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 pmIn response to people claiming that taking the place of another is somehow out of order, yes.
Hey, stop equivocating, you slippery eel. What was stated to be out of order was your attempt to quash discussion of what the Buddha said, and what he meant, on the subjects of vegetarianism and meat-eating.
There is no equivocation. It was stated that taking the animal's perspective was the reason for vegetarianism to begin with and the fact that doing so is not dependent on what the Buddha taught or didn't teach. The animal's perspective does not change depending on what the Buddha taught or didn't teach. From the animal's perspective, what the Buddha taught is irrelevant. This was claimed to be out of order. It's not because all it's doing is taking the animal's perspective, which the Buddha approves of doing.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:17 pm
seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 pm

So is your position that you want to cite and emphasise the Buddha's ideas where they seem to support vegetarianism, but downplay or ignore those which condone meat eating?
The Buddha words say that it is not out of order to take the animal's perspective.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

seeker242 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:27 pm It's not because all it's doing is taking the animal's perspective, which the Buddha approves of doing.
yathā ahaṃ tathā ete,
yathā ete tathā ahaṃ,
attānaṃ upamaṃ katvā,
na haneyya na ghātaye.

“Reflecting: ‘As I am, so are they;
As they are, so am I,’
Having taken oneself as the criterion,
One should not kill or cause others to kill.”
(Nālakasutta, Sn 705; cf. Dhp. 130)

The expression na ghātaye is defined as giving someone an order to kill. No Theravāda text extends its scope to include the kind of imagined causal relationships on which secular arguments (or those in the Lankavatara and other spurious Mahayana sūtras) are based.

And so what you call the Buddha's approval of taking the animal's perspective was taught in connection with killing by one's own hand or giving another an order to kill. The context is not one of grocery shopping.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)