Abhidhamma Chanting

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Raddo

Abhidhamma Chanting

Post by Raddo »

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help find some audio recordings of abhidhamma chanting by monks.

Some good friends and I are working together on the Dhammasangani using the Pali Text Society's English translation. At the beginning of each meeting and after practising together we chant the section we are investigating in Pali. We're familiar with the Dhammasangani Matika chant having learned it from Ven. Achaan Maha Laow, the head monk of Wat Mahathat UK.

I've been looking for recordings of monks chanting the Dhammasangani as a whole or parts thereof. It would be great to listen to Thai, Sri Lankan or Burmese examples of the whole Dhammasangani if possible, although sections of it would be great.

Any and all leads much appreciated!

With all good wishes,

Robert
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Abhidhamma Chanting

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Patthāna Chanting by Burmese Sayādaw U Nandamañjusā.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
robertk

Post by robertk »

This youtube is of a venerable Bhikkhu from Bangladesh chanting Patthana, conditional relations (the 24 paccaya), the last book of the Abhidhamma
I am the westerner giving the English summaries.
The place is the Dhamma Study and Support Foundation (main teacher Sujin Boriharnwanaket) in bangkok
sma

Post by sma »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:55 am Patthāna Chanting by Burmese Sayādaw U Nandamañjusā.
Can you please kindly provide the text for this chanting? It seems different from the text I have found on internet.
:namaste:
sma

Post by sma »

I have found the text you posted in another thread.
viewtopic.php?t=18097
:anjali:
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Playlist containing a large portion of the Bhuddhajayanti tipitaka chanted in pali. Contains the Dhammasangani in full (I think).

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Sunken

Post by Sunken »

I know this one. Just some parts of dhammasangani and patthana, but so bewitchingly.

Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

In Thai custom, Thai monks will chant the seven books of Abhidhamma during funeral.
Deleted
frank k

Post by frank k »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:55 am In Thai custom, Thai monks will chant the seven books of Abhidhamma during funeral.
I know they chant book 7 patthana, but all seven books? Are you sure?
Didn't the tavatimsa devas need to be able to sit for 3 months straight to hear all the Abhidhamma teachings?

If people are chanting book 2, they're only using vitakka (thinking about what they're vocalizing) and not vicara (evaluation), becauseI found an error in there today.
https://notesonthedhamma.blogspot.com/2 ... nga-6.html

One of the things you're suppose to do if you're chanting properly, is understand what you're chanting, and catch errors if you made any.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

frank k wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:55 am In Thai custom, Thai monks will chant the seven books of Abhidhamma during funeral.
I know they chant book 7 patthana, but all seven books? Are you sure?
Didn't the tavatimsa devas need to be able to sit for 3 months straight to hear all the Abhidhamma teachings?

If people are chanting book 2, they're only using vitakka (thinking about what they're vocalizing) and not vicara (evaluation), becauseI found an error in there today.
https://notesonthedhamma.blogspot.com/2 ... nga-6.html

One of the things you're suppose to do if you're chanting properly, is understand what you're chanting, and catch errors if you made any.
They chant the really really really short summary of those Abhidhamma texts. Just a few sentences from each book. I saw once their Thai language chanting book, they stated that even Abhidhamattha Sangaha (again short summary) was used to chant for funeral rites.

But not really the whole texts. It is their Thai culture, next time if got chance I will ask those Thai monks why doing so :rofl:

http://www.watpamahachai.net/watpamahachai-62.htm

A link for you. I myself can read and speak Thai, but maybe you can use Google translate on the website.
Deleted
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

This is the Thai Theravada version of Abhidhamma Pitaka 7 books chanting (in summary, not full text)
Deleted