aeon won't be burnt up - Good news for buddhist

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
confusedlayman

aeon won't be burnt up - Good news for buddhist

Post by confusedlayman »

20. What sort of person is one for whom an aeon endures ?
Should such a person strive for realisation of the fruition stage of a stream-attainer, and should it then he the time for the conflagration of the existing aeon, the aeon must not be burnt up until this person realises the desired state: this person is said to be one for whom an aeon endures.
All persons who possess the path are such.

we won't die before attaining fruit or aeon will wait for us to attain and then ends?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
coconut

Re: aeon won't be burnt up - Good news for buddhist

Post by coconut »

The only thing I take from this is it's interesting how even the abhidhamma contradicts ifself. In PP 2.1 it implies that path and fruit do not arise together, but in other parts of the abhidhamma it implies path and fruit arise together.

This is why the core foundation must always be the suttas.

So far the only commentaries I know that don't contradict the suttas is petakopadesa and netti.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

coconut wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:05 am The only thing I take from this is it's interesting how even the abhidhamma contradicts ifself. In PP 2.1 it implies that path and fruit do not arise together, but in other parts of the abhidhamma it implies path and fruit arise together.

So far the only commentaries I know that don't contradict the suttas is petakopadesa and netti.
what sutta says?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
coconut

Post by coconut »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:24 am
coconut wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:05 am The only thing I take from this is it's interesting how even the abhidhamma contradicts ifself. In PP 2.1 it implies that path and fruit do not arise together, but in other parts of the abhidhamma it implies path and fruit arise together.

what sutta says?
Sutta says path and fruit do not arise together. Path is attained when you attain Right View, fruit is attained when you overcome the 5 hindrances for the first time and attain the dhamma chakkhu (dhamma eye).

It's important to study the suttas.