28 kinds of Rupa?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
SarathW

28 kinds of Rupa?

Post by SarathW »

The way I understand, according to Abhidhamma there are 28kinds of Rupa.

https://puredhamma.net/tables-and-summa ... rial-form/

We all are familiar with the four Rupa namely earth, water, fire, and air in Buddhism
We are also familiar with the internal and objective Rupa (as per Abhidhamma) but in Buddism we call it consciousness?

In Buddhism we mainly analyse our existence in terms of Namarupa.

My question is where is the consciousness fitting to these 28 kinds of Rupa or the consciousness is outside of it?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: 28 kinds of Rupa?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 am The way I understand, according to Abhidhamma there are 28kinds of Rupa.

We all are familiar with the four Rupa namely earth, water, fire, and air in Buddhism
We are also familiar with the internal and objective Rupa (as per Abhidhamma) but in Buddism we call it consciousness?

My question is where is the consciousness fitting to these 28 kinds of Rupa or the consciousness is outside of it?

Consciousness is by no means materiality nor form.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:09 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 am The way I understand, according to Abhidhamma there are 28kinds of Rupa.

Consciousness is by no means materiality nor form.

:heart:
Good point.
In Abhidhamma, there are four main parts.
Rupa, citta, Cetasika and Nibbana.
28 Rupa represent only the Rupa aspect.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

consciousness = arūpå
All nāmā + cittå/manå = arūpā

So, nāmarūpå = arūpå and rūpå
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

To be more precise, Rupakkhandha is divided into two parts: Four Elements and derived materialities.

For example...

(1) Paccayaniddeso (Paṭṭhāna)
Mahābhūtā upādārūpānaṃ sahajātapaccayena paccayo.

(2) Upādānaparipavattasuttaṃ (Samyutta Nikaya)
Katamañca, bhikkhave, rūpaṃ? Cattāro ca mahābhūtā catunnañca mahābhūtānaṃ upādāya rūpaṃ. Idaṃ vuccati, bhikkhave, rūpaṃ.

(3) Pārāyanavagganiddeso (Khuddaka Nikaya)
nāmanti cattāro arūpino khandhā. rūpanti cattāro ca mahābhūtā catunnañca mahābhūtānaṃ upādāyarūpaṃ.

They should be understood as such:
2. It is also of two kinds when classed as (a) primary entity (bhúta) and (b) derived [by clinging] (upádáya).

35. Herein (a) primary materiality is of four kinds as the earth element, water element, fire element, and air element. Their characteristic, function, and manifestation have been given under the definition of the four elements; but as to the proximate cause, each has the other three as its proximate cause.

36. (b) Derived materiality is of twenty-four kinds as eye, ear, nose, tongue, body , visible datum, sound, odour, flavour; femininity faculty , masculinity faculty , life faculty , heart-basis; bodily intimation, verbal intimation; space element; lightness of matter, malleability of matter, wieldiness of matter, growth of matter, continuity of matter, ageing of matter, impermanence of matter, and physical nutriment.
Visuddhimagga, page 440
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false