Abhidhamma books

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Mangaka

Abhidhamma books

Post by Mangaka »

Hello everyone. :smile:
I would like to ask about books of Abhidhamma. Should I start with book Dhammasangani (the first book of Abhidhamma pitaka) or it is reccomended to start with book like Compedium of Philosophy (which is commentary on the Abhidhamma by C.A.F. Rhys Davids) and after that start with reading of Abhidhamma pitaka?
Thank you for advices and have a good day.
SarathW

Re: Abhidhamma books

Post by SarathW »

If you have never read Abhidhamma, I suggest you read the following short aricle.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el322.html

Then read Bhikkhu Bodhi's Abhidhamma compilation. Google for a free copy.
A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma: The Abhidhammattha Sangaha of Ācariya Anuruddha
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Thank you for your answer. I believe it is helpful text.
So if I understand correctly... it is helpful to read articles and topics first (including commentary books) to understand meanings and then begin with pitaka.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mangaka wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 am Thank you for your answer. I believe it is helpful text.
So if I understand correctly... it is helpful to read articles and topics first (including commentary books) to understand meanings and then begin with pitaka.
As Bhikkhu Bodhi said, reading Abhidhamma Pitka is like eating dry grass.
So it is better to wet them before you try the Pitaka.
I am studying Abhidhamma for the last five years but still, I have not read the Pitka. (except some Katha Vatthu)
Right now I am reading another supplementary Abhidhamma book written by a Sri Lankan monk.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Ganbatte ! OP :twothumbsup:

I think the PTS version of Abhidhamma Pitaka books are quite difficult to "digest" as the English language and terms used are quite different from nowadays Dhamma books.

For example, I was reading the Vibhanga (second book of Abhidhamma Pitaka), the first section Suttantabhajaniya of Khandha explanation. In the PTS version, the author used term "the aggregate of Material quality" for Rupakhandha's translation, which I think is quite difficult to get the meaning. Bhikkhu Bodhi used "Form aggregate" while Bhikkhu Nanamoli used "Materiality aggregate", to me these English terms convey better.

But it seems there are not many options for Abhidhamma Pitaka books other than PTS version.

To OP, maybe you can get well versed with Abhidhammattha Sangha first before proceed. It is easier that way. It is a crucial "key" to open the door of Abhidhamma "treasure house".

But not Visuddhi Magga, because it is an exegesis of whole Pali Tipitaka from the aspects of Sila, Samadhi and Panna. Although there are Abhidhamma section in it, it offers only summary and critical points. But if you can master Abhidhamattha Sangaha, you can understand both Abhidhamma Pitaka and Visuddhi Magga whole lot better too.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
samseva

Post by samseva »

Look into Nyanaponika Thera's Abhidhamma Studies.

I'd maybe invest in the print edition, since it easier to read and study, but here is the PDF version (offered freely by the original publisher).

And also Nyanatiloka Thera's Guide Through the Abhidhamma Piṭaka.

Here is the PDF version.
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Thanks very much for answers. :smile:
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

I don't recommend Abhidhammattha-saṅgaha because it is a highly abstract not to say obstruse way in which very learned scholar monks 1000 year ago were explaining to themselves texts which are about 2200 years old and which weren't necessarily meant to be understood that way.

I would recommend the English translation of Dhammasaṅgaṇī by Ms C.A.F. Rhys Davids as "A Buddhist Manual of Psychological Ethics" with her commentaries.

And ven. Ñāṇatiloka Mahāthera's "Guide through the Abhidhamma Piṭaka".

It will give you a much better idea of what Abhidhamma, and not commentaries on commentaries on commentaries on Abhidhamma is.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

The Vibhanga appears to be the most accessible plus the Vibhanga says how its ideas about the Dhamma differ from the Suttas (when they do).
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Again, thank you for your answers.
I would like to ask one more thing. Do you know which book of Abhidhamma pitaka is most focused on paramattha (ultimate reality)?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Mangaka wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:30 am Again, thank you for your answers.
I would like to ask one more thing. Do you know which book of Abhidhamma pitaka is most focused on paramattha (ultimate reality)?
I don’t think any of them do. From my own reading they all contain a mix of what Theravada considers to be conventional and ultimate realities.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”