Proper order to learn Abhidhamma Pitaka

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Ontheway

Re: Proper order to learn Abhidhamma Pitaka

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:47 am
Ontheway wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:33 am
SarathW wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:20 am I can't answer your OP question.
I can share how I started Abhidhamma.
1) Read the summary of Abhidhamma - I suggest reading Abhidhamma in practice.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el322.html
2) Read Abhidhamma Sangatha by Bhikkhu Bodhi. I read Abhidhamma Sangatha by Ven. Narada. Bhikkhu bodhi used his work.
3) I read Kathavatthu in Abhidhamma Pitaka as it is very interesting reading.
That is all I have had some luck with so far.
:D
Thanks for suggestion. :anjali:
I've gone through Abhidhamattha Sangaha, now I am beginning to read Dhammasangani ...
Good luck.
We need more members in this forum who got a good understanding of Abhidhamma.
Share your experience with us.
:twothumbsup:
We are just learning as much as we could. If we can't even listen to the monks who really devoted their time studying and mastering Abhidhamma, then what is the use of listening to laymen?

Thank you for encouragement.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Now as I am studying Dhammasangani...

I think it would be easy if one study Abhidhammattha Sangaha (Citta & Cetasika), then study Visuddhimagga's chapter on Pancakhandha, then can go to Nikkhepa Kanda of Dhammasangani, only then proceed for the rest of Dhammasangani.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

JohnyElloy

Post by JohnyElloy »

Nobodyisspecial wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:12 am My friend on the way,

I highly reccomend Bhikkhu Bodhi lectures on abhidhamma on YouTube.

Next Bhikkhu Bodhi does it again with his book on Abhidhamma.

Next realize you are on the scholar path. The path of purification is a meditation manual. If you just study abhidhamma you might become a great scholar. I hate to say it but without enlightenment I don't think the abhidhamma has any value to be useful or make sense. What do you think? There is many free pdf books on abhidhamma. Please do Google like crazy all Buddhism pdfs. Paper copies are hard to get. Priyatti is great. Check out their .com stuff.

Can a person understand nibbana by reading about it? I think they have to walk the path to arrive and meet nibbana to understand nibbana and it's teaching. You can't make sense of other people's descriptions of nibbana. I would say it is serenity, tranquility, and equanimity but it's not like I have any friends..... That agree with me. Ha ha ha. Honestly I can't read anymore but abhidhamma makes no sense unless you are enlightened.

I hear the Burmese monks memorize the abhidhamma manual you mentioned. Then they memorize all day and are tested at night. Abhidhamma.com my friend on the way. Check it out. Dry as dust they call the abhidhamma. It is Covered in dust because nobody likes .I like dry literature but I am nobody.
Thank you for sharing your insights and recommendations. It's fascinating to hear about Bhikkhu Bodhi's lectures and book on Abhidhamma, and your perspective on the scholar's path is thought-provoking.

You make a valid point about the potential limitations of studying Abhidhamma without enlightenment. It aligns with the idea that experiential understanding through practice on the path is crucial for fully grasping the depth of concepts like Nibbana. Reading about it may provide a conceptual understanding, but true comprehension often arises through personal experience and realization.

Your mention of the Burmese monks' rigorous memorization and testing process highlights the dedication required for a deep understanding of Abhidhamma. It's true that the subject can be perceived as challenging, described as "dry as dust," but your appreciation for it speaks to your unique perspective.

I appreciate your humor and honesty throughout your comment. Exploring the resources you recommended, like abhidhamma.com, seems like a valuable endeavor for those interested in delving deeper into this intricate aspect of Buddhist teachings. Wishing you continued insights and progress on your journey! 🙏
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:25 pmAs per title, I am wondering how the Burmese monks learn the Abhidhamma Pitaka?
Apologies if I'm wrong, but I think that they first start with study of "Abhidhamma treatises," rather than just jumping straight into the root divisions of the Abhidhammapiṭaka. The most famous of these Abhidhamma treatises is Abhidhammāṭṭhasaṃgaha by Master Anuruddhā Mahāthera. It is the Theravādin equivalent of Master Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakośakārikābhāṣya.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Theravāda analogue of the Abhidharmakośa is Buddhadatta's Abhidhammāvatāra.

Here is a reader-friendly paper about the way Burmese people learn Abhidhamma:

https://atbu.org/node/13

Regarding the order of learning the Abhidhamma Piṭaka: it seems that the Dhammasaṅgaṇī is the best place to start for a novice, because it contains the material which other books of Abhidhamma variously use and comment on. In particular, I recommend C.A.F. Rhys Davids's translation of that text.
Last edited by sphairos on Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sunken wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:27 pm 1) Finish AN and SN, these two are most "Abhidammical" among the nikayas

2) Perfect your knowledge of Abhidhammathasangaha: kicchasangaha, 24 paccayas and so on. it woud be better if you learn it by heart.

3) Read Visudhimmaga, especially the third part about Understanding. Lots of important commentarial implication to be found. (english translation is aviable).

4) Read Kathavatthu and Kathavatthu Commentary (there is an english translation of both)

5) Read Dhammasangani and so on untill the end of Patthana (english translation is available)

6) Learn Pali and do this circle again.
:goodpost:
The interesting point for me in this post is the importance of studying Sutta and its direct connection to Abhidhamma.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JohnyElloy

Post by JohnyElloy »

Ontheway wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:25 pm :anjali:

As per title, I am wondering how the Burmese monks learn the Abhidhamma Pitaka?

Did they completed the learning of Suttanta Pitaka first? Or they will learn Abhidhamma Pitaka at the same time?

Since there are seven books in Abhidhamma Pitaka, what is the correct sequence to learn so that I wouldn't grasp the teachings in wrong way?

So far, I have completed all MN Suttas. At the moment, just going through AN, SN, and DN. Done with Abhidhammattha Sangaha too, understand the Citta as 89 consciousnesses (or 121 consciousnesses), Cetasika as 52 types of mental concomitants, Rupa as 4 major Elements and their 24 materiality derivatives.

Any suggestions?

And where can I get Pancappakarana Atthakatha? Was it translated into English?

So far, I just have Atthasalini & Sammohavinodani...
It's impressive to see your dedication to studying the Abhidhamma Pitaka and your progress through the Suttas. Generally, Burmese monks undergo a rigorous and systematic training, and the learning of Abhidhamma often follows the completion of the Suttanta Pitaka.

As for the correct sequence in learning the seven books of the Abhidhamma Pitaka, it's advisable to start with the "Dhammasangani" as it provides a foundational understanding of mental and material phenomena. The subsequent books often build upon this knowledge.

Considering your current understanding of Abhidhammattha Sangaha, it seems you're on the right track. To delve deeper, you might progress to the "Vibhanga," which further analyzes the Dhammasangani.

Regarding Pancappakarana Atthakatha, it can be challenging to find English translations. Visiting reputable Buddhist libraries or online resources might be a good starting point.

Your dedication to understanding these profound teachings is commendable. Keep up the excellent work, and may your journey in studying the Abhidhamma be enriching and enlightening! 📚🙏
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

JohnyElloy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:20 am
Ontheway wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:25 pm :anjali:

As per title, I am wondering how the Burmese monks learn the Abhidhamma Pitaka?

Did they completed the learning of Suttanta Pitaka first? Or they will learn Abhidhamma Pitaka at the same time?

Since there are seven books in Abhidhamma Pitaka, what is the correct sequence to learn so that I wouldn't grasp the teachings in wrong way?

So far, I have completed all MN Suttas. At the moment, just going through AN, SN, and DN. Done with Abhidhammattha Sangaha too, understand the Citta as 89 consciousnesses (or 121 consciousnesses), Cetasika as 52 types of mental concomitants, Rupa as 4 major Elements and their 24 materiality derivatives.

Any suggestions?

And where can I get Pancappakarana Atthakatha? Was it translated into English?

So far, I just have Atthasalini & Sammohavinodani...
It's impressive to see your dedication to studying the Abhidhamma Pitaka and your progress through the Suttas. Generally, Burmese monks undergo a rigorous and systematic training, and the learning of Abhidhamma often follows the completion of the Suttanta Pitaka.

As for the correct sequence in learning the seven books of the Abhidhamma Pitaka, it's advisable to start with the "Dhammasangani" as it provides a foundational understanding of mental and material phenomena. The subsequent books often build upon this knowledge.

Considering your current understanding of Abhidhammattha Sangaha, it seems you're on the right track. To delve deeper, you might progress to the "Vibhanga," which further analyzes the Dhammasangani.

Regarding Pancappakarana Atthakatha, it can be challenging to find English translations. Visiting reputable Buddhist libraries or online resources might be a good starting point.

Your dedication to understanding these profound teachings is commendable. Keep up the excellent work, and may your journey in studying the Abhidhamma be enriching and enlightening! 📚🙏
Thank you 🙏 I will keep learning.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.